Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British woman has her holiday to Benidorm ruined "because her hotel had 'too many Spanish people"

What took you to Benidorm editor ?

I’ve always fancied seeing it, more out of curiosity because of the manhattenesque high rises than anything but the thought of hoards of tacky Brit bars put me off a bit.

Sort of, but I'm not convinced that one isolated business is really comparable to an entire strip of flag bedecked bars, pubs and clubs.
Thiese were amongst those British pollutions you highlighted.

http://www.urban75.org/blog/images/brits-benidorm-2004-05.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/images/brits-benidorm-2004-03.jpg

They seem to be a promotion in Spanish for Spanish drag artists. What makes them peculiarly British? I'm sure you don't buy the decadent Anglo-Saxon ways degrading our Catholic Spanish culture line. You do point out that these were: " Makeshift posters advertising the evening’s entertainment were Sellotaped on boards outside the venues". However, I'm sure that Spanish teeth are as capable of chewing of the end of a roll of sellotape. The fact that we have to use a German word to describe it, suggests that kitsch is not a peculiarly British thing.

What took you to Benidorm editor ?

I’ve always fancied seeing it, more out of curiosity because of the manhattenesque high rises than anything but the thought of hoards of tacky Brit bars put me off a bit.
I went to the absolutely brilliant Wild Weekend festival which saw rockabilly/rock and roll/weird bands from all over the world playing small venues mainly in the middle of nowhere during the off season (hence cheap hotel rooms/venue hire).

Thiese were amongst those British pollutions you highlighted.

http://www.urban75.org/blog/images/brits-benidorm-2004-05.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/images/brits-benidorm-2004-03.jpg

They seem to be a promotion in Spanish for Spanish drag artists. What makes them peculiarly British? I'm sure you don't buy the decadent Anglo-Saxon ways degrading our Catholic Spanish culture line. You do point out that these were: " Makeshift posters advertising the evening’s entertainment were Sellotaped on boards outside the venues". However, I'm sure that Spanish teeth are as capable of chewing of the end of a roll of sellotape. The fact that we have to use a German word to describe it, suggests that kitsch is not a peculiarly British thing.
I never used or inferred the phrase 'British pollutions' and I've absolutely no idea why you're getting all worked up about Sellotape. I just posted up a series of photos from around the British strip and I'm not interested in getting into some nit-picking argument about it.

I went to the absolutely brilliant Wild Weekend festival which saw rockabilly/rock and roll/weird bands from all over the world playing small venues mainly in the middle of nowhere.

That sounds like a good enough reason!

I made somewhat of an error of going to a similarly tacky Kavos about 4 years ago and some of those photos look very similar. The Brits abroad mentality was also truly alive and well.

I've had some great times there with mates and one memorably appalling short break in a terrible all inclusive when I announced that I was off to the beach on the second day and this friend of mine said he'd been going to Benidorm for eight years and didn't know there was a beach. Some people like to go on holiday eat all day breakfasts, go on the piss and go to karaoke, not my cup of tea tbh but as they say horses for courses. There's plenty of Dutch and Germans who insist on drinking in their own bars and just eating their own food. and watching acts who sing in their language.

I went, completely by accident, to some rockabilly festival just south of Barcelona where it was full of Euro rockabillies all eating burger and chips.

Cut my foot open at the water park there when I was 15 and on holiday with a mate in Denia, hobbled to the medical centre where the medic took a look, then took his fag out of his mouth and spoke in Spanish “it is not a groove in the leather but a gouge in the meat” which I just about made out but didn’t make me feel too happy...

Went back a few years ago with BB1 when we stayed in Xavia and went on the same thing where I cut myself all those years before, no injury that time, although I did nearly have a heart attack on Vertigo there...

Last edited:
I went, completely by accident, to some rockabilly festival just south of Barcelona where it was full of Euro rockabillies all eating burger and chips.

Culturally appropriating that which some consider vulgar is acceptable. It's two negatives making a positive.

I never used or inferred the phrase 'British pollutions' and I've absolutely no idea why you're getting all worked up about Sellotape. I just posted up a series of photos from around the British strip and I'm not interested in getting into some nit-picking argument about it.

I don't think I'm alone in sensing an inference.

As to sellotape, doesn't everyone get worked up about it? Picking nits is easier than finding the end of the strip on a roll.

Some archive Benidorm pics

View attachment 255229

View attachment 255231

View attachment 255230

I think a Roy chubby brown tribute act takes some fucking beating as possibly the worst act ever

I went to the absolutely brilliant Wild Weekend festival which saw rockabilly/rock and roll/weird bands from all over the world playing small venues mainly in the middle of nowhere during the off season (hence cheap hotel rooms/venue hire).

I went to Skegness Butlins in December once for a folk festival. I think you win this round.

I've just walked through Rusholme's curry mile, and can confirm long streets of tacky nationally branded businesses are not restricted to the British diaspora
Curry mile wasn't built for South Asian tourists, though.

Never been to Benedorm, but I reckon the number of English people there who would disown members of their family for ordering tapas and saying gracias is probably lower than advertised.

This dismal "patriotic" nonsense reminds me of the "England" I grew up in and longed to escape. Fortunately, university and London (particularly Brixton) enabled this. Now I live about two hours´ drive from Benidorm. It has thie highest density of skyscrapers anywhere in the world except Manhattan, and my students tell me it´s not all louts in Union Jack shorts vomiting lager. There are large Spanish-only swathes of it, which don´t serve fish´n´chips with a side order of ugly British jingoism, and which are actually very nice. I think the problem of the lady in the story is she wanted the former, but the travel agent sent her to the latter.
have people upgraded from vomiting lager to puking pinot grigio and vomiting vinho verde?

I've never been to Benidorm. If the British tourists in places like Fuengirola and area are the same, then some are an absolute embarrassment. There's still a lot who behave extraordinarily badly.

Curry mile wasn't built for South Asian tourists, though.

Never been to Benedorm, but I reckon the number of English people there who would disown members of their family for ordering tapas and saying gracias is probably lower than advertised.

Oooh. I'm not so sure about that.

the British tourists in places like Fuengirola and area are the same, then some are an absolute embarrassment. There's still a lot who behave extraordinarily badly.

You can get Scotch sausage in Fuengirola...

You can get Scotch sausage in Fuengirola...

Why would you come all the way here then eat only British food, drink British beer, in British themed bars when you can get better food, cheaper, in Spanish bars/restaurants?

Last time I went to Benidorm a dog took a chunk out of my thigh. I saw it snarling and walked out of the way, the fucker was on an extendable lead. I was uninsured and two hours later Ryanair sent a text saying your flights been cancelled, make your own way home. Happy fucking birthday 😀🍻

Back
Top Bottom