Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British woman has her holiday to Benidorm ruined "because her hotel had 'too many Spanish people"

Why would you come all the way here then eat only British food, drink British beer, in British themed bars when you can get better food, cheaper, in Spanish bars/restaurants?

Indeed. Understand it if it's an occasional thing, esp if they're long term residents but doesn't quite make sense if it's just a short break...

Curry mile wasn't built for South Asian tourists, though.

Never been to Benedorm, but I reckon the number of English people there who would disown members of their family for ordering tapas and saying gracias is probably lower than advertised.
My old man used to own a bar in a popular resort on the Algarve and I used to go out and visit him pretty regularly, including working the seasons during my summer holidays.

The number of British bar owners who despised the Portuguese (using the lovely pejorative 'Pork and Cheese' to describe them), doughtily refusing to learn a word of the language and generally operating in a self reinforcing cultural bubble as separate from the local culture as humanly possible was, in my admittedly entirely subjective opinion, very much in the majority.

This was admittedly in another country and thirty odd years ago, so maybe things have changed...

They just want Britain with sun, they couldn't give a shit where.
Some may just want that, and it's not an unreasonable thing to want, and it's something they'll rarely get Britain itself. As the Spanish economy benefits from it, it would seem to be a win-win. Lots of people want a bit more of an intercultural experience, and that's fine too, isn't it?

Some may just want that, and it's not an unreasonable thing to want, and it's something they'll rarely get Britain itself. As the Spanish economy benefits from it, it would seem to be a win-win. Lots of people want a bit more of an intercultural experience, and that's fine too, isn't it?

Nah we should all do the same thing. Every weekend, for ever. In the rain.

I have no problems with this. I do have a problem with badly dressed (often football kits) drunk at 10 in the morning, vomiting, loud, bright red skinned, louts, both male and female. I don't want them anywhere near me, which is precisely why I avoid places they are.

Come here, yes. Drink, eat, and enjoy the sun. But behave decently. Show respect for the locale and the locals.

This is all I ask.

There's a rather unpleasant thing about sneering at "Brits abroad" and it's mainly other Brits that do it. Of course they don't mean all Brits, just the ones that aren't as sophisticated and well-travelled as themselves. Spain was one of the first destinations for working class mass package tourism from the UK and has remained so and developed in certain areas accordingly. Loads of people have been going to the same hotels on the Costas for 30 or 40 years. It's familiar to them and that's what they like. Most are no better or worse behaved than any other nationalities. There are just more of them. Anyone who thinks that Brits abroad are particularly badly behaved needs to go and hang out with some Russians in the Bulgarian Black sea resorts for a while. Further afield, monied Indians at upmarket middle-eastern destinations can be spectacular arseholes, a compliment that many Israelis seem keen to return with gusto in places like Goa and Kerala.

Last edited:
Met a lot of British holidaymakers abroad, sorry, English holidaymakers abroad. Majority were fine. Happily defended them when bar owners in Spain and Portugal repeatedly dissed them.

That said, over 40 years, have also experienced quite a few bad times with some English holidaymakers. And Spanish and Russian etc etc.

Nothing to do with people being sophisticated or well travelled, more to do with some people just being cunts, for the sake of it.

Tourism is only 12% of Spanish GDP, and let's say about a third of that comes from Brits (generous I'd say). Maybe it's a win-win, but it would be a bigger win if UK tourists could not be complete dicks on holiday, like every other country in the world seems to manage on the whole.

There's a rather unpleasant thing about sneering at "Brits abroad" and it's mainly other Brits that do it. Of course they don't mean all Brits, just the ones that aren't as sophisticated and well-travelled as themselves. Spain was one of the first destinations for working class mass package tourism from the UK and has remained so and developed in certain areas accordingly. Loads of people have been going to the same hotels on the Costas for 30 or 40 years. It's familiar to them and that's what they like. Most are no better or worse behaved than any other nationalities. There are just more of them. Anyone who thinks that Brits abroad are particularly badly behaved needs to go and hang out with some Russians in the Bulgarian Black sea resorts for a while. Further afield, monied Indians at upmarket middle-eastern destinations can be spectacular arseholes, a compliment that many Israelis seem keen to return with gusto in places like Goa and Kerala.

Yeah bollocks. Brits on holiday in Spain are very obviously the worst behaved of the tourists, and they're the only group who regularly make the headline national news. It's not 'sneering', it's feeling pissed off at seeing it time and time again. Not so much in Madrid (less of a tourist attraction), but fuck me what a bunch of cunts Brits on holiday in Barcelona are.

doughtily refusing to learn a word of the language
I've never understood that. Whenever I've been abroad I've always attempted to speak the language.

My dad whose never previously done any languages learnt to speak Spanish when they started going there on holiday and always speaks it when there (although does get caught out when they go to a Catalan speaking area.)

Some of this is culture clash. The British notion of a 'piss up' doesn't relocate to other parts of the world entirely unproblematically. You see this with the stag/hen Euro-weekends that have become extremely popular. It comes across as arrogant, and it can be cringeworthy to see. Not all Brits, not only Brits, of course. You're right that Israelis have an appalling reputation in certain parts of the world - often they've just got out of the army and go a bit crazy. I would think a fair few Israelis cringe at the sight of that kind of poor behaviour as well.

Yeah bollocks. Brits on holiday in Spain are very obviously the worst behaved of the tourists, and they're the only group who regularly make the headline national news. It's not 'sneering', it's feeling pissed off at seeing it time and time again. Not so much in Madrid (less of a tourist attraction), but fuck me what a bunch of cunts Brits on holiday in Barcelona are.
All of them? Nonsense. The problem for Barcelona is that it’s a stag do destination so probably not a fair comparison. That said, I lived there for 2 years and can’t say that Brits were significantly worse behaved than other nations blokes or even some of the locals. I reckon you’re just tuned in to Brit aggro more.

Last edited:
All of them? Nonsense. The problem for Barcelona is that it’s a stag so destination so probably not a fair comparison. That said, I lived there for 2 years and can’t say that Brits were significantly worse behaved than other nations blokes or even some of the locals. I reckon you’re just tuned in to Brit aggro more.

Not all of them. Absolutely loads of them.

Oh I'm just too daft to see the true picture. Thanks, that's really helpful.

Some of this is culture clash. The British notion of a 'piss up' doesn't relocate to other parts of the world entirely unproblematically. You see this with the stag/hen Euro-weekends that have become extremely popular. It comes across as arrogant, and it can be cringeworthy to see. Not all Brits, not only Brits, of course.
Yep, absolutely. The drinking culture doesn't translate to places like Spain and France, though parts of Spain are well used to it, cater for it, and even encourage it. Russians, Fins, Irish, etc ... all the same.

Yep, absolutely. The drinking culture doesn't translate to places like Spain and France, though parts of Spain are well used to it, cater for it, and even encourage it. Russians, Fins, Irish, etc ... all the same.
My mate's Greek cousin runs a hotel on Zante that caters to German and Russian holiday makers, and you get the same type of behaviour from them.

Some of this is culture clash. The British notion of a 'piss up' doesn't relocate to other parts of the world entirely unproblematically. You see this with the stag/hen Euro-weekends that have become extremely popular. It comes across as arrogant, and it can be cringeworthy to see. Not all Brits, not only Brits, of course. You're right that Israelis have an appalling reputation in certain parts of the world - often they've just got out of the army and go a bit crazy. I would think a fair few Israelis cringe at the sight of that kind of poor behaviour as well.

The piss up stag do /lads ladettes binge holiday needs to be separated out from the cringe based look at those old folk in Benidorm eating pork pies and listening to Max Bygraves tosh . The former can and does create problems. However, it takes two to tango , very often UK organisers of these sort of trips and local night time economy businesses in those tourist areas have had a vested interest in promoting an environment in which unacceptable behaviour is more likely to take place.

The piss up stag do /lads ladettes binge holiday needs to be separated out from the cringe based look at those old folk in Benidorm eating pork pies and listening to Max Bygraves tosh . The former can and does create problems. However, it takes two to tango , very often UK organisers of these sort of trips and local night time economy businesses in those tourist areas have had a vested interest in promoting an environment in which unacceptable behaviour is more likely to take place.
Totally. See also "party towns" ... Faliraki, Magaluf, Arenal ... etc etc, with 2 mile stretches of door-to-door bars and clubs flogging cheap booze until 6am and advertising themselves as 'anything goes destinations'. You can't set up places like that, be perfectly happy to take the money and then moan that there are a load of pissed kids puking and fighting everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom