Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British woman has her holiday to Benidorm ruined "because her hotel had 'too many Spanish people"

What I did notice is that depending on where you go, people's attitudes differ. Case in point: I once booked a holiday in Ayia Napa. The first night there I went to the local bars, and got chatting to a local bar owner. He was depressed, complaining about the pissed-up English people he had to deal with on a daily basis, and how he wanted to sell up and move away.
After 2 days I decided I'd had enough of Ayia Napa, so I packed up and moved a little further north towards the border. I found a hotel, threw my things into the room and went out to find somewhere to eat. The first place I landed upon was owned by possibly the nicest person I've ever met (we're still in contact). I sat down on the patio of his restaurant/pub, and he came outside and asked me what I'd like. I ordered food, which arrived with a carafe of wine. I explained that I hadn't ordered wine, but the owner sat down with me and insisted I have the wine, as it was from his own vinyard and it was free! He sat with me throughout the meal, sharing the food and wine, and chatting shit. He just wanted me to enjoy his food and his wine, and the two most important things we chatted about were the weather, as it hadn't rained for over a year, and how his parents were killed by Turks in the North, which is how he ended up in the south. We encroached on the subject of 'the English', and he didn't have a problem with 'them', which led me to believe that maybe certain places attract certain types and that his place, away from the tourist resorts, didn't attract the Ayia Napa type of tourist.
I spent the remainder of my holiday with him and his family, and when I was leaving, I was told that any time I wished to return, I would have a free bed for as long as I was there.
Not all people are the same. There are good and bad everywhere. If you deliberately set up your stall to cater for the bad, don't be surprised when that's what you get.

Edit: apologies for the lack of paragraphs. I'm doing this on my phone and I'm a tad pissed.

Last edited:
What I did notice is that depending on where you go, people's attitudes differ. Case in point: I once booked a holiday in Ayia Napa. The first night there I went to the local bars, and got chatting to a local bar owner. He was depressed, complaining about the pissed-up English people he had to deal with on a daily basis, and how he wanted to sell up and move away.
After 2 days I decided I'd had enough of Ayia Napa, so I packed up and moved a little further north towards the border. I found a hotel, threw my things into the room and went out to find somewhere to eat. The first place I landed upon was owned by possibly the nicest person I've ever met (we're still in contact). I sat down on the patio of his restaurant/pub, and he came outside and asked me what I'd like. I ordered food, which arrived with a carafe of wine. I explained that I hadn't ordered wine, but the owner sat down with me and insisted I have the wine, as it was from his own vinyard and it was free! He sat with me throughout the meal, sharing the food and wine, and chatting shit. He just wanted me to enjoy his food and his wine, and the two most important things we chatted about were the weather, as it hadn't rained for over a year, and how his parents were killed by Turks in the North, which is how he ended up in the south. We encroached on the subject of 'the English', and he didn't have a problem with 'them', which led me to believe that maybe certain places attract certain types and that his place, away from the tourist resorts, didn't attract the Ayia Napa type of tourist.
I spent the remainder of my holiday with him and his family, and when I was leaving, I was told that any time I wished to return, I would have a free bed for as long as I was there.
Not all people are the same. There are good and bad everywhere. If you deliberately set up your stall to cater for the bad, don't be surprised when that's what you get.

Edit: apologies for the lack of paragraphs. I'm doing this on my phone and I'm a tad pissed.
You’ve just reminded me of Bulgaria. (As well as once ending up part of a Cypriot wedding)

Found a comfortable pub.
Discovered the reason it was so comfortable was that the owner ‘wanted’ English custom. Had traveled to England to study what made an English pub and recreated it.
He was currently moaning that corrupt politicians had diverted British air traffic to an airport nearer to a resort where they all personally owned various business stakes and that he didn’t get as many English now thanks to their corruption. (The battle of sunny beach vs Golden Sands)

We’d arrived by train from Sofia by the way.

On my travels I've encountered badly behaved Brits, Germans, Aussies, Israelis, Italians, Uruguayans and probably others. I'm sure this can be distilled into all-encompassing wisdom about certain national character traits.

Or maybe not.

I know this is purely anecdotal but I've also travelled extensively over many years and lived/worked in different countries. I can't say I've ever encountered a cunty Welshman on those travels. They're in the same box for me as Canadians.

The English, well. They don't travel well. The worst? Israelis. By a stretch.

Last edited:
I know this is purely anecdotal but I've also travelled extensively over many years and lived/worked in different countries. I can't say I've ever encountered a cunty Welshman on those travels. They're in the same box for me as Canadians.

Try living there as an English kid with English parents. Didn't matter that my family was skint, I was a "Saes" apparently deserving of scorn and bullying by some of the other kids. Fuck those little shits.

This thread is really lacking 4 ingredients:

1. sweeping generalisations where entire nations are held to possess common characteristics that increasingly become the type of stereotyping that would rapidly be condemned if others engaged in it.
2. A tangible stench of class and cultural snobbery, and assumed superiority of various writers in respect of travel/cuisine choices inherent throughout.
3. Purely anecdotal evidence that is presented as some sort of proof of something, and most importantly
4. Sausage based discussion.

The Likely Lads first episode Entente Cordial sums up a number of issues on this thread imo.

They have just returned from holiday in Spain where Bob had a crush on a French girl named Louise,at least from afar as he never actually spoke to her. Terry ever the opportunist gave her his address, she sends him a postcard and they arrange to meet much to Bob's chagrin. Terry tries to learn a bit of French for the big meet up and Bob reluctantly accompanies him to the station.

This thread is really lacking 4 ingredients:

1. sweeping generalisations where entire nations are held to possess common characteristics that increasingly become the type of stereotyping that would rapidly be condemned if others engaged in it.
2. A tangible stench of class and cultural snobbery, and assumed superiority of various writers in respect of travel/cuisine choices inherent throughout.
3. Purely anecdotal evidence that is presented as some sort of proof of something, and most importantly
4. Sausage based discussion.
5. a contentious banning

That was my experience of Cyprus when my partner of the time worked out there for a year or so. I flew out every other weekend or so (it's quite nice being on a warm beach in February!) and the hospitality was superb. When the landlord came to collect the rent he always brought over a gift of fruit from his orchard or homemade spanakopita his wife had baked for us.

Not all Brits abroad are like this.

The only time the wife and I have been to Spain (Majorca/Mallorca) we were appalled at the wall-to-wall "English" and "German" pubs/eateries everywhere. We asked the hotel staff where we could find traditional Majorcan food. They were surprised and delighted a tourist would be interested and directed us to some cracking little places where we had some really enjoyable evenings and got to eat some lovely food. No chips. No burgers. No lager.

I don't recall this appearing in any newspapers.

No lager? Seriously?

Back
Top Bottom