Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British and Irish Lions

Ouch, 10 tries to 1.

From the way the pack looked, I think the Boks should bring spare shorts for the first test :D

Bowe's speed of mind and body has been hugely impressive. Also Kearney, BOD, Roberts, Philips, Croft and the two props looking very good.

Bang on. The nailed ons for me in the backs are:

15: Byrne
14: Bowe
13: BOD
12: Roberts
11:
10: Wellies
9: Phillips

Up front it's

1: Gethin
2:
3:
4: POC
5: AWJ
6:
7:
8: Heaslip

I had read a bit on here about the contenders for loosehead and not really thought there was much between Sheridan and Jenkins. Having watched on saturday and now today its blindingly obvious.

Blindingly. The diffence is between a man who has to cheat to scrummage effectively, is defensively suspect and often too cumbersome to be effective in the loose, and the best loosehead prop in the world. Gethin Jenkins is a freak of nature. A miracle. Aside from POC he's the most sure starter in that squad, IMO.

Blindingly. The diffence is between a man who has to cheat to scrummage effectively, is defensively suspect and often too cumbersome to be effective in the loose, and clearly the best loosehead prop in the world. Gethin Jenkins is a freak of nature. A miracle. Aside from POC he's the most sure starter in that squad, IMO.

You've bloody done it again. I was just about to post my predictions for nailed on test places and I find this!!!:mad: I think you have to consider Bowe as nailed on too tho!

Think POC is only nailed on because he is caoptain and still has to put in a performance. Think Adam is not far off a test place, White is a bloody liability, 3 penalties was it he gave away today and lucky on more than one other occasion, he has that Englsih disease and is a yellow card waiting to happen, we cant afford to play with 14 against the boks.

You've bloody done it again. I was just about to post my predictions for nailed on test places and I find this!!!:mad: I think you have to consider Bowe as nailed on too tho!

While I absolutely recognise his quality, I think that if Bowe is injured there are a number of players who, if not quite as good, are certainly decent enough to fill the gap. I don't think the same with Jenkins. His loss would be as grievous or indeed more grievous as that of BOD, IMO.

Wish id saved my first prediction for this match. Was a much better performance but it was against a team who didnt seem to have been introduced to each other before the game.
Thought Hines played well, did what he was asked. (well someones got to speak up for the Jocks)

Thankyou. :).

Murray & Ford werent on long enough to really make any impression so i had to comment on him.

Murray has a good chance of starting at 3 in the first test. I still reckon it's very open. He's an excellent player. Ford=dirttracker.

Brilliant peformance. For once I agreed with Si Barnes when he said he couldnt pick out one player.

Every one had their moments and noone had a howler.

Btw, cheers '27. I raced round to me mates in the end, he'd recorded it sky+ style, but thanks anyway ;)

Brilliant peformance. For once I agreed with Si Barnes when he said he couldnt pick out one player.

Every one had their moments and noone had a howler.

Btw, cheers '27. I raced round to me mates in the end, he'd recorded it sky+ style, but thanks anyway ;)

No probs. Justin tv is ya friend for these occasions, watched both games so far on really good streams.

No probs. Justin tv is ya friend for these occasions, watched both games so far on really good streams.

I tried once before and just got a message saying 'Embed code error' or something similar. :confused:

Fuck it, I will pick out a few performances. Thought Mears was stand out for the English contingent. Croft and Vickery played really well too.

Jenkins was awesome, him and Vickery really worked hard. AWJ and S. Jones, again very good... Jones showed some real game control.

Roberts & O'Driscoll, fuck me that didn't half work!

Bowe, Hines.... I've realised again why I didn't initially pick anyone out... They were all superb! :D:D

My back 3 are Byrne - Bowe - Kearney. Centres pick themselves an Phillips starts as scrum half. Great looking back line until we get to out half. We're in big trouble there, it's our weakest position.

I think Wallace is in the lead for starting as test 7 after hid first half last night. He was better than Williams was at the break down on Saturday. Though at the end of the tour I bet they will have gotten similar mout of test time.

Mears did himself no harm last night either.

My back 3 are Byrne - Bowe - Kearney. Centres pick themselves an Phillips starts as scrum half. Great looking back line until we get to out half. We're in big trouble there, it's our weakest position.

I think you're doing three time Lions test starter and two time grandslam winner, Stephen 'Duke of Wellington' Jones a grave disservice. He may run like he's carrying a fridge under one arm, but he won't let us down

I think Wallace is in the lead for starting as test 7 after hid first half last night. He was better than Williams was at the break down on Saturday. Though at the end of the tour I bet they will have gotten similar mout of test time.

As I said in an earlier post. If they want to try and match the Bokke in physicality and really contest the breakdown then they'll pick Wallace. If they want to try and link the backs and the forwards and stretch the Bokke by playing attacking rugby with ball in hand, they'll pick Williams. It's horses for courses. The question for me is whether, even with Wallace, they'll be able to match the Bokke physcicality. If the answer is no, then you'll want your openside to be acting as a link, because if we can't outgrunt them, we'll have to outthink them. Martyn is the best footballing 7 in world rugby (not the best 7, I hasten to add) and can play that role better than Wallace, IMO

Mears did himself no harm last night either.

He's in pole position, but I wouldn't call him 'nailed on'. He's pretty small for a two. Rees and Ford would offer more at scrum time, but neither can throw;)

I think you're doing three time Lions test starter and two time grandslam winner, Stephen 'Duke of Wellington' Jones a grave disservice. He may run like he's carrying a fridge under one arm, but he won't let us down

No he won't (unless he plays like he started last night ) but he's not going to do anything special either.

As I said in an earlier post. If they want to try and match the Bokke in physicality and really contest the breakdown then they'll pick Wallace. If they want to try and link the backs and the forwards and stretch the Bokke by playing attacking rugby with ball in hand, they'll pick Williams. It's horses for courses. The question for me is whether, even with Wallace, they'll be able to match the Bokke physcicality. If the answer is no, then you'll want your openside to be acting as a link, because if we can't outgrunt them, we'll have to outthink them. Martyn is the best footballing 7 in world rugby (not the best 7, I hasten to add) and can play that role better than Wallace, IMO

Ya, I think they might start with Wallace to make sure we're not over run at the break down and finish with Williams after the Bokke run out of puff and the extra strength isn't needed.

Though to be fair, Williams is no bad shakes in the tight, as Wallace is no slouch as a link man.

Pity Wallace didn't play well at number 8 last week. Neither of them deserve to lose out.

..... after the Bokke run out of puff and the extra strength isn't needed.....

Not going to happen, Spies outsprinted the Chiefs back three and ran in a try from 60 metres last week in the 70th minute:eek:

I reckon Bendeus is pretty spot on with his picks for the test places so far, the 7 spot is still wide open.

I've got a sneaking feeling Hook will feature though, his running was super smooth last night. Anybody but ROG at 10 for me.

Should be an interesting team on saturday if they stick to their word with everyone in the squad starting one of the first three games.

Murray, Ford, Ellis, Fitzgerald, Halfpenny, Hook, D'Arcy, Ferris, O'Callaghan and Powell should all start.

ps Flutey has an english grandpa.:D

Not going to happen, Spies outsprinted the Chiefs back three and ran in a try from 60 metres last week in the 70th minute:eek:

I know bad choice of words by me, I mean not run out of puff but more when the intensity of the exchanges die down, Williams could come on and the Lions wouldn't miss Wallaces greater strength.

I would Like to apologise to all the BI lions supporters for the absolute cr*p dished out by Gauteng lions. I was hoping they would give you a decent game but it seems they did not have any inclination about the occasion. The worst part is they were wearing look a like Transavaal jerseys which they did no justice to.

The only players who actually seemed to want to play were Tod Clever, Willie Wepenaar and Wilhem Alberts, the rest just seem to be going through the motions. I suppose it does not help losing your coach 2 weeks before a big game, but even so, the defence was none existent, players looked disinterested, attack was killed with slow ball and a solid BI rush Defence. The loss of Louis Ludik was a killer as he was the one guy in that squad who could spark something but hey c'est la vie. They were a big pile of steaming cow pat.

Well done to the BI Lions for putting them under so much pressure they did not know which way to look. That last try by Stephen Ferris was pretty impressive, the man has got some rocket shoes for an 8th man, Mr Spies has some real competition there.

All in all an excellent display for a new team. The cheetahs hopefully will provide more of a contest in that they might actually want to be on the field. The emerging bok team is also looking pretty strong, that might turn out to be the best of the non test matches.

We are looking good but there will be much tougher teams to play against, when we are under more pressure those players might not look so cohesive.

Anyone got a stream for the game? Am currently listening to some Saffie channel, unfortunately I can't speak Afrikaans. Please and Thank You.

Back
Top Bottom