Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British and Irish Lions

Ha ha, i was right to call monyes inclusion.

Armitage was unlucky though, and R Jones :confused:

Very surprised about Armitage - can't see what he's done to warrant non-selection. Not particularly surprised about Monye since SackO has been injured.

There's no doubt that Ryan did little this season to warrant selection, but can anybody honestly say that Powell, Quinlan or Worsley (for all his tackling) did? It seems that 'picking on form' is fairly subjective, regardless of how the coaching team want to spin it.

There's a nasty little storm brewing about this, with the very shades of the Henry in Australia causing problems with team Wales that I warned about in posts passim. Gatland (whose media 'skills' I'm seriously starting to question) has come out in the Grauniad with this little gem,

Wurrun Gutlund said:
"It was very close," said the Lions forwards coach, Warren Gatland. "Croft is very, very unlucky. He is on the stand-by list and he may well play a part."

The Wales head coach Gatland had more comforting words for Croft than he did for his own captain. "It shows there was no favouritism. Ryan's form has not been good enough. He will possibly tour the United States with Wales in the summer. I have left a message on his phone."

Gats has an issue with Ryan, that much is obvious, but to deliver a snub like that to your national captain after, doubtless, being key in his non-selection is playing with fire. He should have kept his mouth shut and stuck to the "McGeechan was solely responsible for picking the team" line. I can't see how Jones can remain Wales captain after this, and fully expect AN Other, probably AWJ, to be captaining Wales in the autumn. Baby. Bathwater.

The only other thoughts I have on the selection, save that in the main it's solid enough, and seems to be looking to match Bok beef with British and Irish brawn, is that there's every chance that with the GP, Magners and HEC all coming to a climax there will definitely be injuries, as there will early doors on the hard ground of the veldt. I would be wholly unsurprised to see the likes of Croft, Peel, Armitage and, most of all, Henson to be flying out there, possibly to come in as test starters. It would seem from Gatland's comments, however, that Ryan Jones is unlikely to be boarding a Sith Ifrika bound plane any time soon.

Nice of him to leave a message on his phone wasn't it? It's a disgraceful way to treat a player of that standing.

Can you imagine Kidney doing something like that and making those comments to the media? No, me either

Nice of him to leave a message on his phone wasn't it? It's a disgraceful way to treat a player of that standing.

Can you imagine Kidney doing something like that and making those comments to the media? No, me either

Quite. What with that and his pre-match motivational talk for the Irish prior to the GS decider, I've reluctantly concluded that he should keep his fucking mouth shut in future:mad:

All a bit annoying really. I accept that Ryan's form has been tailing off, but i still think he was a very diplomatic and well spoken captain of the Welsh team. I would have thought he would have been afforded a bit more respect by everybody involved in the Lions - esp Gatland as his coach. The decision to pick Powell above him, just seems to be adding insult to injury mind. I doubt if we will hear any verbal moaning or outburst from Ryan mind as he seems to be a bit above that. Shame that Gatland cant learn from him a bit and show a bit more respect it would seem.

I don't know about insult to injury regarding Powell, tbh. Mongo, while derided in some quarters as having been 'found out' is the perfect specimen to be brought on at 60 minutes on the hard running pitches of the veldt. His athleticism, pace, power and offloading will be a handful to contain, and it shoudn't be forgotten that his best performance in a Wales shirt came against the Bokke. It used properly, he can be devastating; something he showed against Gloucester in the EDF final. coming on at 60 he broke the gain line time and time again. One particular run saw six players being needed to bring him down, and he was able to effectively set up the next phase off quick ball. If you use him as a conventional eight - running the ball back from deep kicks, dog work at the breakdown - you'll be disappointed (this was one of Gutland's many mistakes in this year's 6N, IMO), but if you use him with a pair of savvy dogs either side of him (which the Lions undoubtedly will) and with support runners running off him at pace looking for the offload, Mongo can do a lot of damage. Damage that Ryan is unable to do, as it is his ball carrying that has suffered most in what is undisputably a spectacular fall from form.

O'Leary's broken ankle good for Leinster and possibly the Blues. Poor bastard - on course for a HEC final and Lions tour and he gets crocked.

Got to be Peel now, IMO. Thus reversing the number of Irish and Welsh players to put god's own country one up on their stampy rivals.

Poor bastard, he must be totally gutted. There is still a lot of rugby to play before the tour gets under way, the Lions will be lucky to get away with just him being ruled out.

I'm not worried for Munster really, Stringer is practically as good as O'Leary in that team.

I think they'll take Peel too. Although it's pretty even between him Blair and Care so either of the 3 could go to warm the bench.

Reading the match report Blair had a great game against the Ospreys at the weekend so he might be the front runner at this stage.

Although as it was only the Ospreys he was playing I'm not sure if you can read much into somebody playing well against that shower of shit

Mate, my one-legged, alcoholic, octogenarian great uncle could have a great game against the Os at the moment. Blair is shithouse, end of. He proved during the 6N what a load of overegged hype surrounds him. Cuisiter looked far better every time he came on on 60 minutes, and he's pretty pony as well.

Peel is better than Care, also.

E2A: They may go with Blair, however, just to even up the Sweaty ratio in the team.

Well, two Lions, including the captain, will be cited after today's game:

O'Connell

POC.jpg

and Quinlan

3494832064_8f6c412037.jpg

Dirty, cheating, gouging fuckers. Hope their ban takes them beyond the Lions tour. NO excuse for contact with the eyes.

Another shite display from Onan, also. Weak. Really puts a question mark over the decision to take two 10s, because he sure as hell can't cut it.

And is Quinlan's gouge again. Now in all-improved moving pictures.

Dirty, cheating bastard. Do you think his will go down as the shortest Lions 'career' in history?

I see Quinlans gouge, and yeh, it was pretty bad. Definately seen worse though.

What did O'Connell do??

I see Quinlans gouge, and yeh, it was pretty bad. Definately seen worse though.

What did O'Connell do??

Have a look at the photo I posted. Deffo went for the eye, but Sky 'mysteriously' chose not to give the replay. Can't think why:hmm:

E2A: And there are no degrees of gouge. There's just gouge. It's abhorrent and should be met with the full weight of sanctions, i.e. six months.

Have a look at the photo I posted. Deffo went for the eye, but Sky 'mysteriously' chose not to give the replay. Can't think why:hmm:

E2A: And there are no degrees of gouge. There's just gouge. It's abhorrent and should be met with the full weight of sanctions, i.e. six months.

Your right, gouge is gouge is gouge i guess.

But still, O'Connell, what did he do. In the photo thats Quinlans hand not OC's??? Was there another incident? :hmm:

Top photo, mate. The bottom is Quinlan's little, err, indiscretion. The top shows O'Connell grabbing Ireland teammate Horgan by the back of the head and ramming his bunched up fingers into his eye. Way to go, Lions captain! :rolleyes:

E2A: O'Connell is just incidental in the bottom photo. The hand is Quinlan's.

Top photo, mate. The bottom is Quinlan's little, err, indiscretion. The top shows O'Connell grabbing Ireland teammate Horgan by the back of the head and ramming his bunched up fingers into his eye. Way to go, Lions captain! :rolleyes:

E2A: O'Connell is just incidental in the bottom photo. The hand is Quinlan's.

Ahh, that explains it. The top photo aint showing for me bud, dunno about anyone else. But I only got Quinlans photo on my screen :confused:

How you doin anyway bendy? Been waitin for this thread to take off a bit, gettin rugby thread withdrawal :(

Ahh, that explains it. The top photo aint showing for me bud, dunno about anyone else. But I only got Quinlans photo on my screen :confused:

How you doin anyway bendy? Been waitin for this thread to take off a bit, gettin rugby withdrawal :(

Doing great, mate. Have a £40 ticket: tier two, just between halfway and the 10 metre line for the Blues-Leicester clash tomorrow. Vey, vey excited. Heading into the 'Diff at 1:00 for a couple of swifties in the sun and then the match.

Looking at the teams, the Blues seem to have it, particularly given the weakness in the Leicester centres. Those dastardly Tiggers have a very strong bench, mind. The likes of Ellis, White and Mauger could cause big problems when brought on late doors. Leicester have a nasty habit of shattering the dreams of Welsh sides in the semi finals of HECs, and they're a big game side who know how to win, and who are also on song at the moment.

Still got to go for the Blues, mind. Can't see it being as exciting as the Ladyboy-Munster clash as the cheating Tiggers will be looking to play tight, attritional rugby - slowing down the ball and niggling at the fringes. A year ago I would have written this down as a loss, but the Blues are physically the match for just about anyone right now, and their backrow and centres can do a lot of damage.

Anyways, we'll see.........:)

Sweet. Have a good 'un tomorrow ;)

I reckon your bang on with how the game will be played, with one tiny change. I reckon Leicester will shade it, I'm no tigers fan btw. Just that if it was any other team the home advantage etc would probably seal it in the end.

But like you say, Leicester are almost like the Man utd of rugby, by hook or by crook (usually the latter) they'll get the result.

All speculation of course, but my guess is a low scoring, close win for the Tigers.

Hmm. This XV:

15 Ben Blair 14 Leigh Halfpenny 13 Tom Shanklin 12 Jamie Roberts 11 Tom James 10 Nicky Robinson 9 Richie Rees

8 Xavier Rush 7 Martyn Williams 6 Maama Molitika 5 Paul Tito (c) 4 Bradley Davies 3 Tauf'au Filise 2 Gareth Williams 1 Gethin Jenkins

... is most definitely better than this one:

15 Geordan Murphy (captain) 14 Scott Hamilton 13 Dan Hipkiss 12 Sam Vesty 11 Johne Murphy 10 Toby Flood 9 Julien Dupuy
1 Marcos Ayerza 2 George Chuter 3 Martin Castrogiovanni 4 Tom Croft 5 Ben Kay 6 Craig Newby 7 Ben Woods 8 Jordan Crane

but this bench:

16 Benjamin Kayser 17 Julian White 18 Marco Wentzel 19 Lewis Moody 20 Harry Ellis 21 Aaron Mauger 22 Matt Smith

....is much scarier than this one:

16 John Yapp 17 T Rhys Thomas 18 Deiniol Jones 19 Andy Powell 20 Darren Allinson 21 Ceri Sweeney 22 Gareth Thomas

That said, the Blues are playing at home in front of a partisan crowd of 37 odd thousand. Leicester aren't the team they once were, and the Cardiff are yet to lose in cup competition this season.

So yes, Leicester to win :(

Are people seriously expecting them both to be cited and banned? To be honest I wouldnt be surprised if there was no citing, although if would still be hard for the Lions to ignore all this publicity, if they do nothing it means that they wont be able to complain about anything that happens on tour, and they will have lost the moral high ground.

It's the ERC that will choose whether to cite or not, no? The fact that it's an European competition makes it more rather than less likely that they'll be cited, I'd have thought.

Saying that, they may baulk at the shitstorm that would inevitably ensue if they ban two Lions, one of whom is the captain.

I for one would not like the Lions to contain or be led by a pair of cunts who are willing to risk people's sight as a result of their actions on the pitch. Six-month bans for each would be sweet.

Well, if it does go completely ignored I'll be more than a tad surprised, couldn't find any news on it this morning (very quick look mind).

Can't see them banning the lions captain though. Whether they should or not isn't waht I'm saying, I just don't think they will.

:rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8031505.stm

Interestingly, according to the report, O'Connell didnt see the incident.
Agree that a gouge is a gouge is a gouge. There is no place for that type of behaviour on the rugby pitch. Quinlan wouldnt be as big a loss as O'Connell but both incidents need to be looked into. Cant find anything about O'Connells gouge though. Only your pic bendeus.

Yep, cant believe the comeback the Blues have made in the last 10 mins or so. Excellent match.

Back
Top Bottom