Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British and Irish Lions

mattie

missing in inaction
Seeing as 6N done and dusted, might as well kick this off - it's been talked about as a side issue in the 6N thread.

who's in form, who's not, how the saffas will line up.

Sadly, sounds like Gav Henson has maybe popped his calf or achilles against Gloucester. Fingers crossed Bendy.

McGeechan will win it. And he'll do it by not picking an awful lot of players the media are touting as 'Lions players'.

He's an absolute hero :cool:

Seeing as 6N done and dusted, might as well kick this off - it's been talked about as a side issue in the 6N thread.

who's in form, who's not, how the saffas will line up.

Sadly, sounds like Gav Henson has maybe popped his calf or achilles against Gloucester. Fingers crossed Bendy.

On evidence of my viewing today:

Impressed by Gethin Jenkins again today in the EDF semi. Very solid, as was Euan Murray. A right battle royale. Could be looking at 2/3 of the test front row right there. Saying that, Os gave Glaws a bit of a reaming up front, so Adam's still putting up his hand.

Phillips will go, though a characteristic brainfart let Balshaw seal the game in the 72nd minute. He's slow in mind and body atm, but his physicality will cause problems for the Bokke.

Bowe's a shoo-in, as is AWJ. HRH may go also, though only to play with the dirttrackers

Jamie Roberts looked decent, also, though I think he'll struggle to get a test start. His size and versatility could see him bench for the tests, and I reckon he'll be on the plane.

Could very well imaging Leigh Halfpenny as a wild card choice. He was electrifying on the wing today - absolute mercury with ball in hand. The boy has pace to burn and impressive skills, and as a result could be on the plane.

Such a shame that Chavin is broken again. Forget all the guff and arsery about him being his own worst enemy, and the only thing between him and greatness. I'd say the fact that his injury record is about as woeful as Jonny Wilkinson's is far more of an issue.

Woody's a cunt though, an awful awful one at that.

I can see the rationale behind some wildcard calls, but don't really see where matchwinners are going to come from if not from established, world class players or up-and-coming young tyros. All of those available who are able to slot in have already been talked up in relation to the Lions. Can't see where Geech is going to find his uncut gems/grizzled warriors from.

Unless he picks Shaggedatranni, that is;)

The papers had a bit of a go at Ryan Jones yesterday.

I didn't see the game, how did he play on Saturday?

I think this threatens the independence of sporting nations and shouldn't be allowed.

or something.

How comes this can be done for rugby but not football. Its shit.

dave

so cipriani is in and henson is out

shit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ospreys/7973176.stm

good for munster, but bad for the lions :(

I was about to post that link. 'Considering his rugby future'. Sounds pretty fucking bad, dunnit? Just got to hope that it's just a bout of depression brought about by the fact that he's had yet another season shafted by his bone china body rather than a genuine consideration to leave the game. It's not like he needs the money anyway, is it:(

Does anybody else think he comes across as being a fairly genuine and decent guy in that interview? Not quite living up to his hyperbolic press stereotype, eh, Mattie?

Anyway, as RF said, Chargidowni in, Chavin out. Bokke must be slapping another side of antelope on the braai and cracking open another bottle of Castle lager in celebration.

Squad gets announced on tuesday. After today i reckon young Halfpennys in with a very good shout & Martin Williams if not a shoo in is definitely one now.
Guscott & Davies both reckon the Delon Armitage should go too.

O' Connell as captain then.

I might have gone for BOD meself, but i can see the thinking behind the decision.

They should just amalgamate Munster and Wasps, stick em on a plane and fly them out to be consumed in a leisurely fashion by beefy Boers. Then we'd all be happy.

I think the squad pretty much picks itself at the moment. O Connell is a good choice as captain. I think they’ll take RyAN Jones, but he wont be a starter – and probably doesn’t deserve to be on current form. Shane Williams is in danger of playing himself out of contention, but am sure he will go. Hopefully a bit of a rest will see him back his best form. God knows we are going to need it. The only area that is still murky is the third outside half. Stephen Jones is no 1 in my opinion. Which leaves Ronan (cant tackle for anything) O Gara as our second No 10. So the question is who is going to be the third choice cover? My money is on Nicky Robinson after the weekend. I just hope that this is who is selected and not Cipriani whose selection would be a joke. Only 2 hours to find out Geeghan does in fact pick people in form like Robinson and not media darlings like Cipriani. Personally I think he will pick Robinson. Lets hope so anyway.

I would fucking piss meself if Nicky Robinson is picked for the Lions squad. Piss meself:)

It's not that I don't think he deserves it - his form in the latter part of the season has been excellent, and he is, IMO, the standout 10 in the British Isles for getting the back line moving. His passing out of hand and vision is, at times, exemplary.

He is, however, flakey as fuck. A game wouldn't be a game without a Nicky brainfart. You're guaranteed at least one penalty touchfinder failing to, erm, find touch. He is also fairly suspect defensively.

I'd pick him ahead of Onan, though.

I think Ryan Jones and Williams will be picked, though it wouldn't surprise me if either of them were not. If they are I can see Jones playing himself into the test team but not really Williams. More for the fact of his irritating cutesy nickname than anything else.

Not sure why Robinson would be picked. Been around for ages and never really broken through. I'd rather bring the tranny. At least he's probably got some more of the unknown about him.

I think it's a good move to have O'Connell as captain. It will mean there is a leader from all 4 countries on the tour. It's laughable now to look back and think Ryan Jones was favorite at one stage isn't it?

I think Ryan Jones and Williams will be picked, though it wouldn't surprise me if either of them were not. If they are I can see Jones playing himself into the test team but not really Williams. More for the fact of his irritating cutesy nickname than anything else.

I agree that they will probably be picked. Ryan will play with the Dirttrackers to try and see if he can find some form. Daft comment about Shane though really, isn't it? It ain't exactly like we've got a massive queue of quality wingers ready to step into the breach. Who would you pick instead? We need people who can cause problems to defences, not just run into them.

Not sure why Robinson would be picked. Been around for ages and never really broken through. I'd rather bring the tranny. At least he's probably got some more of the unknown about him.

Because Geech claims that he's picking on form, and that form includes performances in the HEC. Nicky is the form 10 of the HEC so far this year. Ergo, Nicky should be picked;)

I think it's a good move to have O'Connell as captain.

So do I.

It's laughable now to look back and think Ryan Jones was favorite at one stage isn't it?

You think it laughable that the form 8 of the 2008 6N and captain of his Grand Slam winning national side and EDF cup winning region should have been talked up for the Lions captaincy before his form and on-pitch leadership took a worrying dip?

I would have thought it laughable had Brian O'Stampy been considered for the Lions captaincy this time last year.

See what I did there?:p

So do I.

You think it laughable that the form 8 of the 2008 6N and captain of his Grand Slam winning national side and EDF cup winning region should have been talked up for the Lions captaincy before his form and on-pitch leadership took a worrying dip?

I would have thought it laughable had Brian O'Stampy been considered for the Lions captaincy this time last year.

See what I did there?:p

For some reason Ryan has started running into the ground. When his form is bad his on field body angle seems to be in anticipation of getting tackled and he just runs into the turf face first rather than wait to be tackled. Contrast that with this time last year when he ran upright and through people. Very weird. Someone should give him a back brace or something to keep him upright! :D

I agree that they will probably be picked. Ryan will play with the Dirttrackers to try and see if he can find some form. Daft comment about Shane though really, isn't it? It ain't exactly like we've got a massive queue of quality wingers ready to step into the breach.

Piss taking aside, do you agree that as we stand, Williams isn't in the 15 on form? If you don't skip the rest of the question.

But if you do how will he play himself in? I don't see him getting enough ball the way he'd like it. The players inside him are one reason and the fact the Saffers will kick in behind him is another.

Yes we don't have a lot of quality wingers and at the moment on form he's not one either. Bowe or halfpenny or even Cueto are as good in my view.

I can see them picking two full backs to deal with all the kicking that will be going on. Kearney and Byrne, and I like it the more I think about it. The 2 of them would love the hard ground running back at the Bokke and might give them something to think about.

Ryan will be playing with the dirt trackers at home. To be fair that was agood selection. I think the ones who missed out most obviously are Ryan Jones and Armitage.

The Squad from the Guardian:

Full-backs: Lee Byrne (Wales), Rob Kearney (Ireland).
Wings: Shane Williams (Wales), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Ugo Moyne (England), Luke Fitzgerald (Ireland), Tommy Bowe (Ireland);
Centres: Tom Shanklin (Wales), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland), Keith Earls (Ireland), Riki Flutey (England).
Fly-halfs: Ronan O'Gara (Ireland), Stephen Jones (Wales).
Scrum-halfs: Mike Phillips (Wales), Harry Ellis (England), Tomas O'Leary (Ireland);
No8s: Jamie Heaslip (Ireland), Andy Powell (Wales).
Flankers: David Wallace (Ireland), Stephen Ferris (Ireland), Alan Quinlan (Ireland), Joe Worsley (England), Martyn Williams (Wales).
Locks: Alun-Wyn Jones (Wales), Paul O'Connell (Ireland, capt), Donncha O'Callaghan (Ireland), Simon Shaw (England), Nathan Hines (Scotland).
Props: Gethin Jenkins (Wales), Adam Jones (Wales), Andrew Sheridan (England), Phil Vickery (England), Euan Murray (Scotland).
Hookers: Jerry Flannery (Ireland), Lee Mears (England), Matthew Rees (Wales).

14 Paddys including the captain. I'm over the moon. Will think about how actually good the squad is when I get my breath.

Taking Worsley is the most obvious odd decision I can see. But then the man can tackle. Overall there's some good players in there. Disappointed Armitage isn't there, but perhaps he's just considered two slight / green for the velt.

Edit: Shanklin over Chavin. Is Chavin injured?

Taking Worsley is the most obvious odd decision I can see. But then the man can tackle. Overall there's some good players in there. Disappointed Armitage isn't there, but perhaps he's just considered two slight / green for the velt.

Edit: Shanklin over Chavin. Is Chavin injured?

Yeah Injured again. Thinking about it, whilst i think Ryan Jones' form means he wasnt guaranteed a place, i think its a little harsh having Andy Powell above him in terms of Lyons selection. Ryan has been his captain all year and now has to have the indignity of being left at home at the expense of Powell. Should make for an interesting atmosphere in the Welsh dressing room next year.

Definitely.

Stuart Barnes thinks there's not enough flair there (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby_union/article6141624.ece). I'm not so sure. Perhaps with the expection of a Hook or Cipriani (Hook, then) to come on, but you want Jones or O'Gara for their kicking and steady-ness. So then you've got a possible backline of:

9 Phillips
10 Jones
11 Williams
12 Flutey
13 O'Driscoll
14 Bowe
15 Byrne

Which for me has flair, pace and power if everyone is firing. With O'Driscoll not having to worry about Captaincy stuff he can get on with winning the series, the chance he didn't get in 2005.

Lack of pace in the back row is a problem, though.

The coaching staff are quality:
Head coach - Ian McGeechan
Two-time Lions tourist, four-time Lions coach, former Scotland coach, Wasps director of rugby

Backs coach - Rob Howley
Two-time Lions tourist, Wales attack coach

Forwards coach - Warren Gatland
Wales and former Ireland head coach

Defence coach - Shaun Edwards
Wales assistant coach, Wasps head coach

Scrum coach - Graham Rowntree
Two-time Lions tourist, England scrum coach
Looking forward to this, now.

Obviously dissapointed that there are only 2 Scots in the squad but we didnt exactly cover ourselves in glory in the 6N. Thought Ford & Blair would have been in with a shout but seem a bit unfortunate that they are only players in their positions not going.
Not going to complain about Flutey as our Aussie-Jock got picked.
Happy for Shaw as he has been around the block & deserves a decent finale to his career.

Back
Top Bottom