Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bridgend MP Jamie Wallis arrested

Politics aside, sounds like he's had a tough time... :(
Indeed, but the truth remains that AFAICS Wallis has chosen not withdraw from politics and still presumes to 'represent' the people of Bridgend by voting through Tory legislation...so it is a challenge to set his politics aside.

You're assigned a sex at birth, not a gender.
And it's gender dysphoria.

Not convinced about the gay analogy tbh. And is he trans if he just says he has dysphoria? There's not need to do anything at all more than that to be trans? So he's a transwoman you think now?
Surely most people's sex is observed at birth, or in utero, rather than assigned? It's only assigned if sex is ambiguous :confused:

Surely most people's sex is observed at birth, or in utero, rather than assigned? It's only assigned if sex is ambiguous :confused:

Yeah, although it gets a bit pedantic as well. It is written down, so that could be counted as assigned in some ways maybe? But mostly I was just copying the language people seem to use.

Reactions: tim
Yeah, although it gets a bit pedantic as well. It is written down, so that could be counted as assigned in some ways maybe? But mostly I was just copying the language people seem to use.
Assigned just seemed like a weird way to phrase it, as if it was somehow done at random or with a sorting hat :D
I'd say sex is observed and then gender is imposed from birth.

Assigned just seemed like a weird way to phrase it, as if it was somehow done at random or with a sorting hat :D

Yeah, it's the language that gets used, partly to suggest it's all just a decision rather than a fact?

Indeed, but the truth remains that AFAICS Wallis has chosen not withdraw from politics and still presumes to 'represent' the people of Bridgend by voting through Tory legislation...so it is a challenge to set his politics aside.
Well, the people of Bridgend elected him as a Conservative, so what legislation would they be expecting him to vote for?

Well, the people of Bridgend elected him as a Conservative, so what legislation would they be expecting him to vote for?
Exactly; which is why...much as we 'woke' folk might like to set aside his politics...it's rather difficult to do so.

There is an ongoing issue of intersex babies being allocated gender at birth, often without any discussion with the parents, which sows the seeds for all sorts of issues in later life.

Well, that (first para) was part of the point. Our definitions of sex (and gender) are created by us, they’re not absolutely inherent. And it is still overwhelmingly down to genitalia. Which is clearly a load of balls.

Do we know if any charges or court proceedings came out of the business with the car crash? If so, we should be careful about commenting.

there doesn't seem to be much chat about the car crash right now, so I reckon either way we're safe
I think i saw something upthread about 3 points and driving a bit carelessly, so... yeah, what a good brief can do for you if you do a runner after crashing.

So the night he crashed isn't the night of the rape if I'm reading the timeline right? Initially thought it was which would make fleeing understandable but look to be a couple of months apart, he's saying it was because of the PTSD?

Yeah, I had heard about that, very out of tune with the rest of the GBN team.
I think he's deleted the tweet in question, but his timeline is still full of tweets supporting trans rights.

Makes me wonder with it happening so close to this if there's some tory switcheroo to outflank Labour on it or something though

Do we know if any charges or court proceedings came out of the business with the car crash? If so, we should be careful about commenting.
Yes he’s been fined and got 3 points. They wanted to charge him with unfit to drive because clearly smashing your merc into a telegraph pole at 1am probably means you were under the influence but he dumped the car and walked home so no evidence to charge him.

He got done for not noticing a white line or something.

I think he's deleted the tweet in question, but his timeline is still full of tweets supporting trans rights.

Makes me wonder with it happening so close to this if there's some tory switcheroo to outflank Labour on it or something though
Switcheroo? It was May who was introducing self-id in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom