Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BREXIT Crunch time (part 38) WTF is going to happen next?

Brexit crunch - WTF happens next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Given everything they have said previously I can't see how the DUP could go along with this.
Yep. And given that despite their protestations (ha) otherwise, they are very much an Ulster party than a British one, I very much doubt that they are going to go along with the fudging.

They are more likely to say "Fudge off" - it's ironic that their "vinjince, be jaysus" style of politics is a thoroughly Irish one.

His advice is out now - the final paragraph is this, which IMO will kill any chance of the deal going through today:

19. However, the legal risk remains unchanged that if through no such demonstrable failure of either party, but simply because of intractable differences, that situation does arise, the United Kingdom would have, at least while the fundamental circumstances remained the same, no internationally lawful means of exiting the Protocol’s arrangements, save by agreement.

Would that paragraph be there or so definitive if the PV lot hadn't been out of the traps so fast, and already had significant coverage this morning for their advice? Maybe, maybe not - either way it was a wise move.
Maybe, but the wisdom of the move will not, ultimately, be evident until the division is counted this evening (?)

yeah - "legal risk remains" - DUP and ERG will oppose. a few tory rebels might flake off - but i cant see the hardcore shifting.

thinking about theresa may's bizzare outfit - im guessing that was part of the stage management - guarantees it will feature on all the front pages. Same logic as her "dancing" I guess.

D1dEjtoX0AEr6Rg.jpg

Stirling's response to the legal advice on Mays latest "deal".

I can't see any motivation for the ERG et al to vote for this. I mean, what's the worst that could happen if they vote against?

A second ref? Which they'd win, and would likely strengthen the hand of "no deal"?

A GE where they can present as sticking to trying implement the the people's will to (likely) sympathetic constituents?

Brexit delayed? or cancelled? Whoopee! They can carry on forging their political careers with their USP intact.

OTOH. If they vote for May's deal. That's it over. With little to show for it. It'd take some serious bribeage to get 'em on board imho

The pressure on Cox to have issued legal opinion in support of May's latest shenanigans must have been great. He reportedly said: "Bollox" to adjusting his opinion in favour of May

It's dead. It's dead now and will be dead this evening. Today will be a total waste of everyone's time.

So onwards to round 3 then, whenever that it.

May is basically the impediment to getting anything resolved. Until she is removed we will be stuck in this hideous purgatory pantomime.

I can't see any motivation for the ERG et al to vote for this. I mean, what's the worst that could happen if they vote against?

A second ref? Which they'd win, and would likely strengthen the hand of "no deal"?

A GE where they can present as sticking to trying implement the the people's will to (likely) sympathetic constituents?

Brexit delayed? or cancelled? Whoopee! They can carry on forging their political careers with their USP intact.

OTOH. If they vote for May's deal. That's it over. With little to show for it. It'd take some serious bribeage to get 'em on board imho
From their perspective, the Norway option Boles et al are pushing is the biggest risk.

yeah - this is the thing with the brexiteers - keeping the faith in the true flame of brexit is more important to them than the actuality of making that happen. Their political capital depends on it - going along with whatever dismal damp fart of a brexit actually materialises gains them nothing.

Heraclitus not Buddha :mad:

"No MP ever votes in the same meaningful vote on Brexit twice, even though it's exactly the same vote on exactly the same Brexit and (s)he's exactly the same MP (apart from the Tingers who no longer represent the parties they were elected as).”

Doesn't quite have the same ring does it. :(

yeah - this is the thing with the brexiteers - keeping the faith in the true flame of brexit is more important to them than the actuality of making that happen. Their political capital depends on it - going along with whatever dismal damp fart of a brexit actually materialises gains them nothing.
Brexit Betrayed could be a very powerful campaigning tool for rightwing politicians over the next few years.

I suppose the ERG lot could vote for the deal on the basis of 'live to fight another day'. There really is no need for the Backstop to come into play as no one wants it so at least this way they can keep Brexit going and try to influence what comes next.

If it ends up heading in the way of Norway Plus and customs unions they're basically dead in the water.

Would be a massive climb down though of course.

The pressure on Cox to have issued legal opinion in support of May's latest shenanigans must have been great. He reportedly said: "Bollox" to adjusting his opinion in favour of May
That was a response to Jon Snow on Twitter saying that there was political pressure on him.

So, assuming another 3 figure defeat, where next? Literally, next is the 'ruling out no deal' thing tomorrow > seeking an extension the day after. But if the EU are to stick with the 'no third chance' line... Clearly something will happen, something that isn't no deal and isn't slinking back into the EU, so there will be some procedural wiggle. But fucking hell, these are multidimensional clowns. :rolleyes:

Swing, swing, swing the bollocks of justice, see how fast the bastards bounce.

With apologies to Reeves & Mortimer.

So, assuming another 3 figure defeat, where next? Literally, next is the 'ruling out no deal' thing tomorrow > seeking an extension the day after. But if the EU are to stick with the 'no third chance' line... Clearly something will happen, something that isn't no deal and isn't slinking back into the EU, so there will be some procedural wiggle. But fucking hell, these are multidimensional clowns. :rolleyes:
An extension and a new negotiation with new/no 'red lines'. Presumably May is finally toast. tbh the only thing I would totally rule out as a possible eventual outcome is 'no deal'.

Back
Top Bottom