Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BREXIT Crunch time (part 38) WTF is going to happen next?

Brexit crunch - WTF happens next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The vote tonight is a free vote isn't it? How could it go against May?

They're both government motions I think?

Given that they are both likely to pass (no deal off the table and extension of A50) a double defeat seems very unlikely.

Isn't May planning to vote against 'no deal', or was that misinformation?

Lol at the idea that the tenability of her position demands a conversation. :D

Reactions: CRI
They're both government motions I think?

Given that they are both likely to pass (no deal off the table and extension of A50) a double defeat seems very unlikely.
Ok, hostage to fortune, and pickers can quote this post if he likes. I'm going to predict a huge majority against no deal this evening. 500 – 100-odd.

Ok, hostage to fortune, and pickers can quote this post if he likes. I'm going to predict a huge majority against no deal this evening. 500 – 100-odd.

Yes the government motion is for no deal to be taken off the agenda. So presumably Labour and the SNP etc will be voting with the government. I reckon you won't be far away. About 100 seems right to me.

The main motion is pretty fudgy tbh. It isn't actually a motion to reject no deal at all:

That this House declines to approve leaving the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship on 29 March 2019; and notes that leaving without a deal remains the default in UK and EU law unless this House and the EU ratify an agreement.

There's two amendments to vote on, one which is a motion to actually take no deal off the table (Spelman's)

Line 1, leave out from “House” to end and add “rejects the United Kingdom leaving the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship.”.

And Damien Green's (which everyone is calling Malthouse 2 for some reason) which looks like changing it to approving no deal to me?:

At end, add “; notes the steps taken by the Government, the EU and its Member States to minimise any disruption that may occur should the UK leave the EU without an agreed Withdrawal Agreement and proposes that the Government should build on this work as follows:

1. That the Government should publish the UK’s Day One Tariff Schedules immediately;

2. To allow businesses to prepare for the operation of those tariffs, that the Government should seek an extension of the Article 50 process to 10.59pm on 22 May 2019, at which point the UK would leave the EU;

3. Thereafter, in a spirit of co-operation and in order to begin discussions on the Future Relationship, the Government should offer a further set of mutual standstill agreements with the EU and Member States for an agreed period ending no later than 30 December 2021, during which period the UK would pay an agreed sum equivalent to its net EU contributions and satisfy its other public international law obligations; and

4. The Government should unilaterally guarantee the rights of EU citizens resident in the UK.”.

The main motion is pretty fudgy tbh. It isn't actually a motion to reject no deal at all:

That this House declines to approve leaving the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship on 29 March 2019; and notes that leaving without a deal remains the default in UK and EU law unless this House and the EU ratify an agreement.

There's two amendments to vote on, one which is a motion to actually take no deal off the table (Spelman's)

Line 1, leave out from “House” to end and add “rejects the United Kingdom leaving the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship.”.

And Damien Green's (which everyone is calling Malthouse 2 for some reason) which looks like changing it to approving no deal to me?:

At end, add “; notes the steps taken by the Government, the EU and its Member States to minimise any disruption that may occur should the UK leave the EU without an agreed Withdrawal Agreement and proposes that the Government should build on this work as follows:

1. That the Government should publish the UK’s Day One Tariff Schedules immediately;

2. To allow businesses to prepare for the operation of those tariffs, that the Government should seek an extension of the Article 50 process to 10.59pm on 22 May 2019, at which point the UK would leave the EU;

3. Thereafter, in a spirit of co-operation and in order to begin discussions on the Future Relationship, the Government should offer a further set of mutual standstill agreements with the EU and Member States for an agreed period ending no later than 30 December 2021, during which period the UK would pay an agreed sum equivalent to its net EU contributions and satisfy its other public international law obligations; and

4. The Government should unilaterally guarantee the rights of EU citizens resident in the UK.”.

Ta for that. Ok so everyone more or less will vote for the main bit and they'll be split along hard brexit/everyone else lines for the second.

May is voting for not against.
Looking at the detail killerb quoted, she may well be voting only for the meaningless nonsense of the main bit - parliament votes not to approve of bad things, ner. If she doesn't vote for either amendment, she's effectively abstaining.

No Spelman amendment. turns the rest of today into meaninglessness. They'll just vote not to leave no deal on 29 March, but decide nothing else.

Gove seems to be enjoying himself, especially with snide attacks towards SNP MPs, just got a mild ticking-off from the speaker over that.

May is voting for not against.
I think part of what’s confusing is that the motion is itself strewn with a chain of double negatives. And that makes talking about it hard without also piling up the syntactical arithmetic.

But, yes, May will be voting to rule out leaving without a deal on 29th March. (Here add all the caveats).

Back
Top Bottom