Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BREXIT Crunch time (part 38) WTF is going to happen next?

Brexit crunch - WTF happens next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So...if I've got this right...tonight's motion, if passed, does not rule out a 'No-Deal' exit (merely on the 29th), the Spelman amendment that did rule out 'No-Deal' has been dropped and the ERG talk is of revocation.

Seems like the nutjobs' strategy is to frame any opposition to 'No-Deal' as an 'enemy of the people' position.

May (as ever) was the impediment to this happening though. It was a common sense approach and quite a few MP's (even cabinet members) were calling for it. May though only has one plan and it didn't involve this.

MP's wouldn't be able to do this without the government allowing it, well I suppose they could have hired out a function room but it wouldn't have meant much.
I'm sure that's right, but I don't think it was just May. There's the notion that parliamentary business has to be managed by the governing party and when it comes to actual laws there's a process of the same people laying down motions which can only be amended or defeated. My objection to parliament is that it's part of the neoliberal British state. But it also reveals itself in this shitshow as wooden, unresponsive and everything but dynamic. But yes, May's defining characteristic in this has been to use that very inertia to keep herself in post and the show on the road. But as the road comes to an end, neither she nor parliament have anything else in their locker.

I keep reading conflicting reports - is the Spelman amendment going ahead or not?! I want to see some resignations!

Apparently you can't pull an amendment before it has been moved. So it will presumably be pulled as soon as it's moved, unless they find someone else to move it if that is possible. Anyway, I wouldn't expect it.

I keep reading conflicting reports - is the Spelman amendment going ahead or not?! I want to see some resignations!
It's rubbish. Without that amendment today is a total waste of time. Speaker seemed to imply that one of the other signatories to it could still insist on putting it - and that because there were other signatories Spelman herself did not have the power to withdraw it. Seems fair enough to me as there will have been other amendmends that weren't chosen because hers was - could even have been a spoiling tactic from the govt to get someone to table an amendment only to withdraw it.

Fuck knows.

Apparently any of the signatories can move it

Yep.

LONDON (Reuters) - British Conservative lawmaker Caroline Spelman, who had proposed a vote in parliament to rule out a no-deal Brexit in any scenario, said on Wednesday she no longer backed her own amendment.

However, speaker John Bercow said the amendment could yet be voted on if one of its other signatories chose to press ahead with it when voting starts in parliament at around 1900 GMT.

The amendment goes further than the government’s own wording, which notes that parliament does not want to leave without a deal on March 29 and that the default legal position is to leave without a deal unless one is ratified by parliament.

The government has asked Conservative lawmakers to vote against Spelman’s amendment.

UK lawmaker Spelman says no longer wants vote on her 'no deal' Brexit proposal | Reuters

A bit of light amusement...

Dodging the question, Mr Gove replied: "She is a distinguished criminal barrister and now I know what it's like to be cross-examined by her but I also know why barristers are paid by the hour."
Ms Soubry retorted that as a criminal barrister, she did not charge by the hour - and raising her voice towards Mr Gove, a former Justice Secretary, said she had often worked pro-bono "because of his cuts" to legal aid.
Ms Soubry voted in favour of restricting access to legal aid several times between 2011 and 2014.
Plan to permanently stop no-deal Brexit scrapped as Tories told to vote it down

:facepalm: :D

My one solace is that, when on 1st April, when he realises that the UK is STILL full of foreigners, and the EU really isn't that arsed that we've left, Nigel Farrage will walk calmly to the centre of Trafalgar Square, right next to lion number three, and shoot himself.

if it does go ahead i can't imagine it will pass because most of them are spineless... but i would love to see a few more wheels fall off the government. Just one or two resignations will make me smirk. C'mon Amber, do the right thing!

One thing I hadn't realised before today, but Starmer was explicit about it - it is now official Labour policy to call for a second ref. I'd missed that switch, but as I say, Starmer was very clear.

C'mon Amber, do the right thing!

puke.gif

My one solace is that, when on 1st April, when he realises that the UK is STILL full of foreigners, and the EU really isn't that arsed that we've left, Nigel Farrage will walk calmly to the centre of Trafalgar Square, right next to lion number three, and shoot himself.

He doesn’t give a shit about that. I don’t think he’s even a racist. It’s just that racists are useful to him.

Back
Top Bottom