Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BREXIT Crunch time (part 38) WTF is going to happen next?

Brexit crunch - WTF happens next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh OK I thought the Cooper Bill took it off the table but maybe not. Fuck I'm exhausted with this, I can't imagine would it be like to actually try to deal with this as a policy.

Won't be off the table unless they get a bill requiring to revoke as an alternative. It's always the default.
This is the thing they've all been dancing around, isn't it. They all know the only way to guarantee no deal is to advocate revoke in its stead, but they're mostly scared to say it out loud.

Oh OK I thought the Cooper Bill took it off the table but maybe not. Fuck I'm exhausted with this, I can't imagine would it be like to actually try to deal with this as a policy.

It’s because no deal isn’t under anyone’s control. The cooper bill might (not sure specifically how it operates)mean they must request a long extension, but the eu can still turn it down.

It’s because no deal isn’t under anyone’s control. The cooper bill might (not sure specifically how it operates)mean they must request a long extension, but the eu can still turn it down.

That's not strictly true. The govt and parliament can together avoid no deal by revoking. First, they should march off to the EU to request an extension with the solemn threat, expressed in the severest of terms, that they will abandon the whole thing if the EU turns them down.

I'm sure it's already been posted but it's worth a report. Click to read the whole thread.

That leaflet that nobody read is the best argument against this, I think. It laid out various alternatives to EU membership, one of which was explicitly the Norway model, and argued that none of the options was as good as what we have now. That was from the 'remain' govt. From the leave side, as blokey here points out, there was endless bullshit about 'easy' trade deals, pretty much all of which has turned out to be total bollocks.

It's a fucking tiresome argument, tbh. Wankers claiming to speak for the minds of 17.4 million people on the basis of which box they put a cross in once in response to a very short, simple, detail-free question.

That's not strictly true. The govt and parliament can together avoid no deal by revoking. First, they should march off to the EU to request an extension with the solemn threat, expressed in the severest of terms, that they will abandon the whole thing if the EU turns them down.
The Cooper bill doesn't give government or parliament to authority to revoke A50 though, only to force the PM to ask for an extension .

For whatever reason (I can suggest a few if necessary), the Cooper bill stops well short of doing what you suggest.

Back
Top Bottom