Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BREXIT Crunch time (part 38) WTF is going to happen next?

Brexit crunch - WTF happens next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Possibly a stupid question, but presumably the Tinge are voting against. If so, even if the DUP and ERG merely abstain, it's still hard to see the govt winning this.

The scale of defeat seems important. At the moment it looks about as grim as could be for her.

Pretty funny stuff.

Government won't win, but there is a reduced-majority scenario (including abstentions) that will look good for them. They could stumble on to a third vote - and plenty of ERG types look ready to crumble at that stage. One saying today that they are looking for a 'ladder to climb-down with'.
Big loss still more likely though I reckon.

Don't think they could directly ask for either an election or a second ref - that would be straying into territory where they're interfering with democracy (yes, I know, but formally it's hard for them be seen to be doing that). More likely imo would be a demand that May's 'red lines' should be dropped, thus perhaps smoothing a path to something like Norway+. How the UK gets to come back to the table without its red lines would then be for the UK to decide.
Something along these lines makes most sense to me. May's red lines going effectively means May herself going, by whatever means...

There will have to be a GE in my view unless May really wants to go down the softer Brexit route and try and garner support from Labour etc.
g.
The other problem there is Labour don't want it either..... Anything that looks like facilitating a Tory lead brexit is going to cause huge fights within the party

What we really need now is an election resulting in a hung parliament.:thumbs:

Why not? There doesn't seem to be any set rules in play and she's shown incredible belligerence. If she lost by 20 or 30 votes I reckon she'd fancy another crack.
Well, no deal and extension would then pass this week before that, unless May calls them back in tomorrow for another vote. Or maybe just locks them in.

The front pages of the tory press this morning are already offered a hilarious counterpoint by reality.

D1ak7u9X4AErtX4.jpg

Any word from from the Tinge, the Lib Dems and their fellow centrist travellers?

Would they vote for May to try display their *ahem* muscle and show how "reasonable" and "aware of the national interest" they are?

I wouldn't put it past them

Any word from from the Tinge, the Lib Dems and their fellow centrist travellers?

Would they vote for May to try display their *ahem* muscle and show how "reasonable" and "aware of the national interest" they are?

Logically they all ought to be voting the same way they voted last time - their objection wasn't really to do with the backstop. But using logic here doesn't get you very far.

TIG are proffering an amendment on a second referendum. They won't be voting for the deal.

They're all voting against it with the odd exception of a few MP's. Most of that lot want to stop Brexit completely so will always be voting against a deal.

They're all voting against it with the odd exception of a few MP's. Most of that lot want to stop Brexit completely so will always be voting against a deal.
who among them is the odd exception? they're all People's Vote campaigners - it's their only significant policy. There is zero chance of any of them voting for the deal today.

Well, no deal and extension would then pass this week before that, unless May calls them back in tomorrow for another vote. Or maybe just locks them in.
I don't know what the British press are saying but here they spoke with a number of EU politicos on the news and they were saying it doesn't matter what the UK parliament votes for if they don't vote for this deal. They also said that if the UK votes for an "extension" it is unlikely that the EU would agree unless it is for a general election or a 2nd public vote. All of them said the negotiations are over, so they will not vote for an extension just so the UK can keep trying different wording in a deal the EU has already agreed to.

I don't know what the British press are saying but here they spoke with a number of EU politicos on the news and they were saying it doesn't matter what the UK parliament votes for if they don't vote for this deal. They also said that if the UK votes for an "extension" it is unlikely that the EU would agree unless it is for a general election or a 2nd vote. All of them said the negotiations are over, so they will not vote for an extension just so the UK can keep trying different wording in a deal the EU has already agreed to.
In the real world, the EU agrees to an extension if the UK comes back and says it will change its red lines. And the UK will come back and say it will change its red lines if May's deal is voted down. Once May resigns, all kinds of things open up - at least half the cabinet wants Noway+, for instance.

By the way, when May legged it to Strasbourg last night of that bit in the Matrix 3 when Neo went, blind, to the Machine City? 'She fights for us' was my comforting thought.

No? Just me then.

who among them is the odd exception? they're all People's Vote campaigners - it's their only significant policy. There is zero chance of any of them voting for the deal today.

Well that there is that oddball lib dem from the South West (can't be bothered to look him up) who voted with the government last time and some worried labour MP's might be tempted to back it with the potential for an election imminent. None of the tinge lot but the original question was more general then just them.

In the real world, the EU agrees to an extension if the UK comes back and says it will change its red lines. And the UK will come back and say it will change its red lines if May's deal is voted down. Once May resigns, all kinds of things open up - at least half the cabinet wants Noway+, for instance.
Lot of "if" there, May resigns and who will pick up the poison chalice.
If the UK parliament votes for an extension that is just a vote to change the current law.

Also ...if there's no prospect of May winning g tonight, will the waverers who are currently saying they'll change to vote for May actually gonna bother if it looks pointless?

Also ...if there's no prospect of May winning g tonight, will the waverers who are currently saying they'll change to vote for May actually gonna bother if it looks pointless?
If they've declared publicly, they'll look silly not doing it. They'll also look silly doing it of course - what changed their minds exactly, it's exactly the same as last time - but hey.

They will almost certainly vote for an extension cos the alternative will be crashing out

By the way, when May legged it to Strasbourg last night of that bit in the Matrix 3 when Neo went, blind, to the Machine City? 'She fights for us' was my comforting thought.

No? Just me then.
I’ve not seen any of the Matrix films, so the allusion is lost on me, but I have never in any sense had the feeling, even fleetingly, that May is fighting “for us”.

Back
Top Bottom