Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

TBH I'd only get the bar person a drink if they were someone I actually knew well enough to chat to when I went there - at the moment that's really only one place, the nearest bar to home where we go regularly. I wouldn't do it for someone who's spent thirty seconds pouring me a pint.
Aye, in my brief time serving drinks, i think i was tipped only a couple of times, and I wasn’t that grateful as those who did tip were smarmy individuals with fake irritating bonhomie. I felt resentful towards them as if they expected me to be more servile towards them. And I couldn’t have a proper drink cos I was working. And I just helped myself to soft drinks anyway.

"buying someone a drink" is a figure of speech.

It may have started out as a literal thing, but it isn't exclusively that now.

Thats’s the tradition!
Yes, that's kind of where I started this morning, exploring the strange cultural (traditional) difference between customers' attitudes towards tipping in different parts of the hospitality sector. Odd, isn't it?

When I worked behind a bar, offers to buy me a drink weren't worth much because I didn't want to drink there, including at the end of the shift when i wanted to go home or do something of my own choosing rather than sit in my workplace possibly with the annoying racist drunk landlord.

A tips jar would have been more welcome. However as a customer, I'd prefer not to have extra complication added to something that should be rather straightforward.

Yes, that's kind of where I started this morning, exploring the strange cultural (traditional) difference between customers' attitudes towards tipping in different parts of the hospitality sector. Odd, isn't it?
Aye. I have never tipped bar staff myself. Too much of a minefield. What if they cheekily get themselves a very expensive Cognac, which I definitely never did :oops:

MODERATION NOTE

I think maybe I should spin these posts into a separate thread rather than have the discussion buried in the troll-fest that is the Brewdog thread.
Is that OK?
I think it would be best to diversify rather than narrow the focus of the thread. That way it’s not just Brewdog who get in the neck, but any shitty hospitality firms who treat their staff shoddily.
And there’ll be fewer twerps taking potshots at other posters for having issues with BrewDog

"buying someone a drink" is a figure of speech.

It may have started out as a literal thing, but it isn't exclusively that now.

Yep. Most of the time they can't drink whilst working anyway so the standard response is "cheers, I'll have that later" and they ring it in then take it at the end of the shift. There's probably some kind of swerve that enables them to take it in cash, which is fine by me.

I think it would be best to diversify rather than narrow the focus of the thread. That way it’s not just Brewdog who get in the neck, but any shitty hospitality firms who treat their staff shoddily.
And there’ll be fewer twerps taking potshots at other posters for having issues with BrewDog
Totally disagree. This thread is about Brewdog and their racist, sexist, ableist, bullying, unsafe, toxic workplaces that leaves worker exhausted, feeling unsafe and in tears.

Tipping in bars and restaurants is an entirely different discussion.

Totally disagree. This thread is about Brewdog and their racist, sexist, ableist, bullying, unsafe, toxic workplaces that leaves worker exhausted, feeling unsafe and in tears.

Yeah, but conversations naturally evolve. They’re still relevant to the discussion. And it would be better to keep all accounts of crappy businesses like Brewdog on one thread, rather than split over many.

It's part of the same thing isn't it? Crap companies treating their staff shittily by not paying them a decent wage.

Given the general acceptance on the cash thread that, for many, cashless is the future, I can't see compulsion to tip in cash being at all popular or practical. Wouldn't it be better if there were no service charge or tipping and employers had to pay a living wage? After all, if a business can't afford to pay its workers properly, they aren't really a business.
It's slightly more nuanced than that though. I wonder if restaurant servers would prefer to be paid a higher wage, or to carry on getting tips?

Yeah, but conversations naturally evolve. They’re still relevant to the discussion. And it would be better to keep all accounts of crappy businesses like Brewdog on one thread, rather than split over many.

It might also serve to raise awareness that the shitty practices being complained of on this thread are a global issue in a shitty industry and not confined to one company in the UK.

Last edited:
It's part of the same thing isn't it? Crap companies treating their staff shittily by not paying them a decent wage.
New poster browsing the boards: "hey, I'd like to chat about tipping culture in the UK"
Board replies: "Well, the place to do that is in a bad tempered, troll-infested thread about the unique situation surrounding Brewdog's hype and policies.
You'll only have to wade through nearly 8,000 posts to find the 0.25% of them being about tipping."
New poster: "I'll leave it thanks"

New poster browsing the boards: "hey, I'd like to chat about tipping culture in the UK"
Board replies: "Well, the place to do that is in a bad tempered, troll-infested thread about the unique situation surrounding Brewdog's hype and policies.
You'll only have to wade through nearly 8,000 posts to find the 0.25% of them being about tipping."
New poster: "I'll leave it thanks"
a lot of us are happy putting off newbs tbf

MODERATION NOTE

I think maybe I should spin these posts into a separate thread rather than have the discussion buried in the troll-fest that is the Brewdog thread.
Is that OK?
More than happy editor ; apologies if my derail has been problematic.

Back
Top Bottom