Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Fucking about with user names is against the forum rules. Users suffering this childish and disruptive behaviour are free to submit reported posts, safe in the knowledge that warnings will be issued - possibly leading to a temp ban - if it continues.

I don’t think you know what that means.

Fancy answering that question yet?

Didn’t think so 😜

Stop pretending to give a monkeys about minimum wage. If you did you’d be applauding BD for paying so well for so long, whilst everyone else was paying MW and still are. This is about your personal beef, not workers conditions, you fibbing old charlatan!
Name calling from you when you've been rumbled or called out is one thing, but suggesting that I'm pretending to care about minimum wages is quite different.The topic may just represent an opportunity for you to amuse yourself and display your forum persona, but to many, far too many, the lived reality of NM("L")W is a big deal. Many people here will remember the times before 1999 when pays rates could be excessively low; my parents' entire working lives were blighted by atrocious hourly rates paid by employers that stole from them and kept them and the family in poverty. My children's working lives are playing out in a labour market with the NM("L")W, but they are acutely aware of the dark irony of the word "living" attached to their £10.42/ hr wages and my eldest is currently engaged in a battle to get her employer to adopt the RLW. So please don't suggest that I don't care about the NM("L")W; that is just bang out of order. Your life may be so comfortable that you don't have to concern yourself with such matters, but many/most other folk are not so lucky.

No matter how much the words are posted for effect, the very notion that any employer should be "applauded" for paying workers reveals a troubling world view. Of course, BD workers getting £12/hr rather than £10.42 was a good thing, but the corollary, that you appear to struggle with, is that the reversal of that rate for newly appointed workers is a bad thing.

Please try to resist the urge to reply with a :D or "funny" retort; this isn't at all amusing for those concerned.

Of course, BD workers getting £12/hr rather than £10.42 was a good thing ...

Finally we get there.

Do you also recognise that they were one of very few employers in the industry that ever paid bar staff over minimum wage, and as such the ire you direct at them would be better employed directed at almost any other employer in the sector, including the ones supported by all the haters on here with their patronage? Accordingly, your attacks on BD are motivated by your beef with them, developed as a result of you joining the silly witch-hunt on this thread, rather than a genuine concern for their employees.

And do you also now agree that BD have not scrapped the living wage?

Last edited:
Finally we get there.

Do you also recognise that they were one of very few employers in the industry that ever paid bar staff over minimum wage, and as such the ire you direct at them would be better employed directed at almost any other employer in the sector, including the ones supported by all the haters on here with their patronage? Accordingly, your attacks on BD are motivated by your beef with them, developed as a result of you joining the silly witch-hunt on this thread, rather than a genuine concern for their employees.

And do you also now agree that BD have not scrapped the living wage?
"we" again. Have the courage to speak for yourself, rather than some imaginary posse of fellow trollevers.

Employers pay at the rate necessary to attract and retain enough labour to sustain their accumulation. If, to do so, that results in pay rates above the NMW the employer deserves no credit, it is merely an expression of their ability to for recruit and retain. What is concerning about employers like BD and Capita ditching the RLW is that it signals trends in the labour market towards increased exploitation of workers. That is why it was very sensible for hitmouse 's comrades to consider whether this presages a broader attack on the RLW.

Here, try reading this FT piece.

BrewDog, the UK’s biggest craft beer brewer, has abandoned its pledge to pay all staff the voluntary living wage in a move that points to a broader cooling of wage pressures across the economy....The decision is likely to deal a further blow to BrewDog’s reputation as an employer....But it could also point to a broader easing of pay pressures across the UK economy, after a year in which wages have grown at a record pace in nominal terms but have still barely outpaced inflation. BrewDog's example suggests that at least some companies are finding it both harder, and less necessary, to boost wages — with redundancies on the rise and labour shortages easing.

and, of course, it's important to remember the specific context that makes it "harder" for BD to pay the RLW; their impending IPO demands that more profit is available for dividends. So, steal from the workers to give to the shareholders who live off unearned income.

Cunts.

I always find this type of thing interesting. Without having the bottles in front of me it's difficult to be exact about the similarities due to the differences in photography but these are both blue/aqua bottle of an apparently similar shape. Would the consumer be mistaken and buy the wrong bottle? If you ask someone what spirits they want you to get from the supermarket and they reply 'that one in that light blue bottle with the long neck', well, potentially.

This type of 'passing off' action makes some lawyers very rich indeed.

and, of course, it's important to remember the specific context that makes it "harder" for BD to pay the RLW; their impending IPO demands that more profit is available for dividends. So, steal from the workers to give to the shareholders who live off unearned income.

Cunts.
And if the IPO is successful, more and more and more profits...

I am no fan of Brewdog but while they can and should be thoroughly criticised for various instances of unacceptable behaviour over the years, I am not sure this is noteworthy. For starters they have been signed against in this respect far more often than be the sinners. And most of us (certainly I at least) love Lidl and Aldi, and find their blatant brand ripoffs amusing rather than reproachable.

I am no fan of Brewdog but while they can and should be thoroughly criticised for various instances of unacceptable behaviour over the years, I am not sure this is noteworthy. For starters they have been signed against in this respect far more often than be the sinners. And most of us (certainly I at least) love Lidl and Aldi, and find their blatant brand ripoffs amusing rather than reproachable.
It's one thing for them to mock big corporates, but they do have a bit of a track record for going after independent producers iirc.

It's just more of the same from them.

Hypocritical piece of shit that he is

The documentary was first shown on BBC One Scotland and featured one former BrewDog employee saying it was “genuinely astonishing” that Watt owned shares in rival beer firm Heineken.

It also showed how Watt (below) had previously called out other craft beer firms for working with such international alcohol giants, and showed BrewDog marketing where they blew up Heineken products.

And what a fucking creep:

Katelynn Ising, a former employee at BrewDog’s flagship bar and brewery in Canal Winchester, Ohio – DogTap – told Disclosure that female staff would dress down to avoid unwelcome attention from Watt.

She told the programme: “We would make a point to warn new girls — like, ‘Hey, just so you know, James Watt’s coming to town’.

“‘Just, kind of, leave after your shift, don’t really hang around [and] don’t always do your hair and makeup that day, like don’t catch his attention’.”

Desperate stuff indeed.

Among the early stunts that earned BrewDog national notoriety was when it filed an anonymous complaint with the Portman Group, a self-regulating body for booze makers. Rather than complain about the behaviour of an unscrupulous rival, the brewer raised concerns about the high strength of its own Tokyo stout, which boasted an abv of 18.2% – stronger than most wines

Desperate stuff indeed.

I was going with the piece until it spouted this garbage:

1708625629996.png
and valorised Lydon. :(

I am surprised it's that much in Scotland, here on the Sussex coast, pints in my local village pub are around £4.80-£5.50.

It doesn't surprise me that central London prices are 20-25% more.
I'm in Rural Herefordshire and a pint of Butty Bach has only just gone over the £4 mark.

Except they provably are, unless you can name a similar company whose appalling treatment of staff (and all the other stuff that has been well documented) resulted in a BBC TV documentary?
So you're defending the mistreatment of staff by companies that haven't had BBC documentaries made about them?

(See, I can do this too!)

Back
Top Bottom