Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

I wouldn't drink it.

Fondly recalls Greene King Barley wine. Agree that Landlord is a top ale (and also partial to Brains SA)...but I also used to adore Watney's 'Stingo' - that little red foil top still remains deeply evocative of London nights, staggering about on Stingo and mandies...

Not sure I would drink it now (barley wine) - but back in the day when I still had teeth, that slightly glue-y, sweetly sticky, almost viscous (yum, salivating now) drink was just the ticket for a rapid energy boost - practically felt like a meal. Growing up on hot Vimto (Vomito) cordial, it was just a bit of a continuum really.

Well some one has been offended, so yes its offensive. Why do brewers feel the need to be satirical, whats so satirical about about overpriced, over-hyped, gassy beer? Gendered beer ffs!

Drinkers don't need added gas, added sexism or added marketing crap.

I bought an "Anarchist Alchemist" from the BrewDog in Manchester on Peters Street (?).

Cost me £12; I was wounded.

Why would any self respecting anarchist pay 12 quid on a pint? Ffs brewdog are proper taking the piss out of the pretentious left. And all these cunts seem to be of a certain demographic.

Well some one has been offended, so yes its offensive. Why do brewers feel the need to be satirical, whats so satirical about about overpriced, over-hyped, gassy beer? Gendered beer ffs!

Drinkers don't need added gas, added sexism or added marketing crap.

I didnt read the article and as such didnt realise that there had been some previous transgender issue.

I am aware of some of brew dogs marketing though and that they tend to market towards the left who are more inclined to be anti capitalist and anti paying 12 quid for a pint... unless im thinking of another brewery

Not sure I would drink it now (barley wine) - but back in the day when I still had teeth, that slightly glue-y, sweetly sticky, almost viscous (yum, salivating now) drink was just the ticket for a rapid energy boost - practically felt like a meal. Growing up on hot Vimto (Vomito) cordial, it was just a bit of a continuum really.

Back in my teen years, I used to brew barley wine a gallon at a time - big hit at parties!

A long Baffler piece relevant to the interests of people on this thread: Dark Age - The Baffler

It has a lot of ideas in it, mostly about the replacement of culture with what the entertainment industry chooses to inflict on us, but here are a few juicy quotes.

No social group is more audibly or visibly “radical” than artists, musicians, and writers, and with the rise of the Culture Trust capitalism seems to have elevated these malcontents to positions of power and responsibility. And just think of the results: now we are sold cars by an army of earringed, dreadlocked, goateed, tattooed, and guitar-bearing rebels rather than the lab-coated authority figures of the past. But even while we live in times in which ostentatious displays of rebellion are celebrated and admired as much as the building of grandiose imitations of Versailles and the burning of hundred-dollar-bills were once, we are constantly reminded of their meaninglessness, their irrelevance to questions of actual power. For all our radical soda pops, our alternative lifestyles, and the uninhibited howls of our hamburger stands, we seem to have no problem with the fact of business control over every aspect of public expression.

For consumerism is no longer about “conformity” but about “difference.” Advertising teaches us not in the ways of puritanical self-denial (a bizarre notion on the face of it), but in orgiastic, never-ending self-fulfillment. It counsels not rigid adherence to the tastes of the herd but vigilant and constantly-updated individualism. We consume not to fit in, but to prove, on the surface at least, that we are rock ‘n’ roll rebels, each one of us as rule-breaking and hierarchy-defying as our heroes of the sixties, who now pitch cars, shoes, and beer. This imperative of endless difference, not that dread “conformity,” is the genius at the heart of American capitalism, the eternal fleeing from “sameness” that gives us a thirst for the New and satiates it with such achievements of civilization as the infinite brands of identical cola, the myriad colors and irrepressible variety of the cigarette rack at 7-11.

As countercultural rebellion becomes corporate ideology, even the beloved Buddhism of the Beats has a place on the executive bookshelf. In The Leader as Martial Artist (1993) Arnold Mindell, “Ph.D.,” advises men of commerce in the wise ways of the Tao, which he compares to “surfing the edge of a turbulent wave.” For the Zen businessman the world is the same wildly chaotic place of opportunity that it is for the followers of Tom Peters, although an enlightened “leader” knows how to discern the “timespirits” at work behind the scenes

The problem with cultural dissent in America isn’t that it’s been co-opted, absorbed, or ripped-off. Of course it’s been all of these things. But the reason it has proven so hopelessly susceptible to such assaults is the same as the reason it has become so harmless in the first place, so toothless even before Mr. Geffen’s boys discover it angsting away in some bar in Lawrence, Kansas: it is no longer any different from the official culture it’s supposed to be subverting. The basic impulses of the countercultural idea, as descended from the holy Beats, are about as threatening to the new breed of antinomian businessmen as Anthony Robbins, selling success and how to achieve it on a late-night infomercial.

Alongside the hyper-rational, hyper-efficient Organization envisioned by America’s premier managers there also developed an emotional and religious conception of business practice, a cult of Positive Thinking that was even more hostile to cultural memory than was the dominant cult of Efficiency. In the writing of the Positive Thinkers anti-historicism reached a new plateau of sophistication: the annoyances of history and cultural particularity were not just to be over-paved, but levelled, reduced to a convenient flatness where every epoch was exactly like the present as far back as the eye could see. The economic struggle of daily life was and had always been a matter of individual men and God, a question of just how positively each up-and-coming entrepreneur could think, just how blindly he could pursue success.

And a hint of what resistance might look like:

No effective challenge to the rule of business can be mounted without solid grounding in precisely the sort of cultural memory that Information Capitalism, with its supersonic yuppie pan-nationalism and its worship of the instantaneous, has set itself out to destroy. Without memory we can scarcely understand our present—what strange forces in the dim past caused this agglomeration of seven million unhappy persons to be deposited here in the middle of a vast continent, clinging to the shores of this mysteriously polluted lake?—much less begin to confront the systematic depredations of the system that has made our lives so miserable. [...] Without an understanding of particularity, of the economic constructedness of our lives, this kind of critical consciousness becomes impossible. All we can know is our own individual discomfort, our vague hankering for something else—an ‘else’ that can be easily defined away as a different product choice, a new lifestyle, a can of Sprite anti-soda, or a little rule-breaking at Burger King.

Originally the Firkin pubs were in out-of-the-way places using run-down pubs, they had to work hard to make them successful, which is why they ended up good. I think the late 80s takeover saw them taking on pubs and buildings that didn't meet this criteria, busy sites with more footfall and less effort required to attract people. A lot of the character disappeared then.

(I still have memories of Christmas gigs at the Fleece, with the landlord's band Meatcleaver doing Freebird in 45 seconds)

Oh god! We went into a Brew Dog pub in Nottingham last year. not only was it expensive but everyone in there was a complete wanker, especially the staff. We drank up quickly and left!

I found out recently that some people I know up here in east midlandshire think it's a real (if slightly overpriced) bar.

I'm hearing they are planning to move-in on the Gin and Vodka markets next - Equipment is already being assembled at Ellon.

Btw CRAFT doesn't mean anything. It has no brewing or legal meaning - its just marketing jargon. They hope putting 'craft' into their descriptions will convince you that their high prices are worth it. They are not.

In beer terms it seems to mean, 'a small can that costs more than a freshly pulled pint of proper beer'.

I love a pint of Dead Pony Club and their lager, it's bloody delicious. And yes I like real ale as well (not calling their beer real ale).

A bit overpriced, but it's always good. Paid a lot more for shittier beer many times.

Camden Town Brewery sold to world's biggest drinks company

But Camden’s own crowdfunding website – through which it raised some £2.76m earlier this year – suggest it has a value of around £50m.

Apparently the Camden Beer Company has been sold to the brewing giant ABinBev, shades of the Indie labels moving to majors, so much for principles, one can say its a form of fraud especially given they had a crowfunding launch recently.

Back
Top Bottom