Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

I went to the one in Brum a year or so ago and was most amused to be given a lecture on how their stuff was real ale by the staff as they served up their keg beer. There is a lot better beer available in most wetherspoons.
I was in the manchester one on saturday night for a quick drink before a gig, had a pint of one of their ipas and it was one of the worst I've ever had. Overpriced pretentious shite.

I was in the manchester one on saturday night for a quick drink before a gig, had a pint of one of their ipas and it was one of the worst I've ever had. Overpriced pretentious shite.

Yes there is much better out there for cheaper

Nobody drank ale last time I lived in UK so I don't know IPA means. Does it mean "not Stella"?

It's like a really hoppy ale, someone was telling me the other day you can get craft beer in Oviedo so it must be about there as well

though tbh I'd sacrifice the beer selection here for cheaper/better rioja

It seemed to just explode overnight. I left London in 2005 and none of my friends drank ale. By 2010 it was the only thing on the table when I went back to that London to visit. Lager's long, glorious day in the sun, finally over.

IPA = India Pale Ale. Many pubs used to sell it. Greene-King, for example, has always had an IPA. It's pish, though. Timothy Taylor Landlord... now there's a fine drop of IPA. ;)
India pale ale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is pish, and often tastes like it too. There's a good local one near me that's over the 6% 'suck it and see' percentage. I doubt you'll see much of it in London though.

And yes, my name is stuff_it and I'm a real ale drinker. :oops:

IPAs have always been well-hopped because they were transported thousands of miles to India (hence the name India Pale Ale). The hops helped to preserve the beer.

...which is true.

But the template for most of the "craft IPAs" is Sierra Nevada (and its ilk) not Landlord. American hop varieties such as Cascade, Chinnok and Citra have dominated the scene, though some British and NZ hops are making an inroad more recently. The American style is drier, less malty, fizzier and colder than the British style (as a general rule of thumb).

...which is true.

But the template for most of the "craft IPAs" is Sierra Nevada (and its ilk) not Landlord. American hop varieties such as Cascade, Chinnok and Citra have dominated the scene, though some British and NZ hops are making an inroad more recently. The American style is drier, less malty, fizzier and colder than the British style (as a general rule of thumb).
Okay. Gotcha.

I've always drunk real ale. I was raised on Greene-King before they turned shite.
Me & my mates used to travel a fair distance for an Abbott & St Edmunds or A&S as it was known. St Edmunds being a strong bottled pale ale. Green King stopped selling it about 10-15 years ago & now do a blonde beer by the same name.

There is a good book about IPA called Hops & Glory by Pete Brown

hops-and-glory-978033051186502.jpg

One man's search for the beer that built the British Empire: the original IPA
The original India Pale Ale was pure gold in a glass; a semi-mythical beer specially invented, in the 19th century, to travel halfway around the world, through storms and tropical sunshine, and arrive in perfect condition for a long, cold drink on an Indian verandah. But although you can still buy beers with ‘IPA’ on the label they are, to be frank, a pale imitation of the original.

From here.

Me & my mates used to travel a fair distance for an Abbott & St Edmunds or A&S as it was known. St Edmunds being a strong bottled pale ale. Green King stopped selling it about 10-15 years ago & now do a blonde beer by the same name.
I used to drink Crown and Bitter when Abbott wasn't available. They don't sell Crown Pale Ale any more. The other one was Strong Suffolk. Do they still brew that?

I didn't think Landlord was an IPA; they describe it as a strong pale ale...not mention of heavy hopping for transport to the sub-continent. English IPAs such as Shepard Neame's or Thornbridge's (being two rather different takes on the same theme) aren't much like the wonderful Taylor's Landlord...but a very good in their own right.

As for Punk IPA - as with most decent American style IPAs - the occasional one is pretty good, but you wouldn't want an evening out with nothing but citrus hops and high levels of carbonation.

Cheers and bottoms up - Louis (brewing a best bitter as I type) MacNeice

I didn't think Landlord was an IPA; they describe it as a strong pale ale...not mention of heavy hopping for transport to the sub-continent. English IPAs such as Shepard Neame's or Thornbridge's (being two rather different takes on the same theme) aren't much like the wonderful Taylor's Landlord...but a very good in their own right.

As for Punk IPA - as with most decent American style IPAs - the occasional one is pretty good, but you wouldn't want an evening out with nothing but citrus hops and high levels of carbonation.

Cheers and bottoms up - Louis (brewing a best bitter as I type) MacNeice

Indeed.

Hence "session IPAs", "all day IPAs" and the thankfully increasing diversity of red, rye and hop specific IPAs that are a little more subtle or sophisticated than the in yer face hoppy bastards that ruled for a while.

See this thread for examples.

Back
Top Bottom