Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

Maybe you could just give us all a synopsis then fed, I think it may be quicker....;)

Was on the big demo in Welling 1993, YRE had a speaker on a truck bed, well away from the main one and Rahul Patel got a few big bods around him to try and strong arm the speakers off the platform. The ratcatcher and his pals seemed a tad non-plussed by Patels rather pathetic behaviour.

Was on the big demo in Welling 1993, YRE had a speaker on a truck bed, well away from the main one and Rahul Patel got a few big bods around him to try and strong arm the speakers off the platform. The ratcatcher and his pals seemed a tad non-plussed by Patels rather pathetic behaviour.

Patel was a cunt. Forever sucking up to anyone in the party who he thought was in a position to promote him and forever attempting to bully those more junior. I remember one meeting in which he was the CC's hack-of-choice to read the riot act to a specially convened meeting of SWP local government workers (though possibly it was CPSA members, it's years back) to insist that none of them take semi-managerial grades. Now this wasn't about political principle - the grades in question did not have the ability to hire and fire - it was simply about the fact that due to being on a different grade they had to join a different union or somesuch and the SWP's influence was consequently being diluted. Anyway, Patel gets up and does his stuff - lays down the party line - calls everyone all kinds of cunts for their behaviour, only for it to emerge immediately after the meeting that he'd just gone ahead and taken exactly the kind of promotion that he was now telling everyone else was verboten.

You may find it easier to get a free Dropbox account and upload it to there - it's very straightforward, and you get 2Gb free.

Then you can share the link and others can split it up and upload to YouTube, GoogleVideo, Vimeo etc.

My dropbox is full. I'll make another one if youtube fails me again.

Youtube is saying the video is 80 or more minutes long when I'm uploading it. It's actually only 24 minutes long :hmm:

EDIT: I actually think that timer is how long it takes to upload :oops:

Patel was a cunt. Forever sucking up to anyone in the party who he thought was in a position to promote him and forever attempting to bully those more junior. I remember one meeting in which he was the CC's hack-of-choice to read the riot act to a specially convened meeting of SWP local government workers (though possibly it was CPSA members, it's years back) to insist that none of them take semi-managerial grades. Now this wasn't about political principle - the grades in question did not have the ability to hire and fire - it was simply about the fact that due to being on a different grade they had to join a different union or somesuch and the SWP's influence was consequently being diluted. Anyway, Patel gets up and does his stuff - lays down the party line - calls everyone all kinds of cunts for their behaviour, only for it to emerge immediately after the meeting that he'd just gone ahead and taken exactly the kind of promotion that he was now telling everyone else was verboten.

Patel was certainly a cunt, his behaviour in Coventry over the issue of the openly Nazi Cathy Murphy working in the DSS was a perfect display of how big a cunt he was.

Sounds like the old CPSA (Civil & Public Services Association)/SCPS (Society of Civil & Public Servants) debate in the civil service (Both now part of CPS). CPSA was by far the more militant/left-wing membership but only represented non managerial grades, in DWP AA & AO. Once you became an EO (Executive Officer) you joined SCPS, as such good left activists were lost in what was the Stalinist gulag of the 'Society'. In fairness the 'rule' on activists in CPSA not taking 'managerial' grades ie EO and above was also used in the then Militant.

Patel was certainly a cunt, his behaviour in Coventry over the issue of the openly Nazi Cathy Murphy working in the DSS was a perfect display of how big a cunt he was.

Sounds like the old CPSA (Civil & Public Services Association)/SCPS (Society of Civil & Public Servants) debate in the civil service (Both now part of CPS). CPSA was by far the more militant/left-wing membership but only represented non managerial grades, in DWP AA & AO. Once you became an EO (Executive Officer) you joined SCPS, as such good left activists were lost in what was the Stalinist gulag of the 'Society'. In fairness the 'rule' on activists in CPSA not taking 'managerial' grades ie EO and above was also used in the then Militant.

Clearly the 'rule' was a flexible one and more a case of doing what we say and not what we do. Presume the AWL didn't operate a similar stricture as Serwotka was an EO wasn't he?

"The talk nearly did not happen. Much to my surprise, Hope Not Hate objected to me speaking, describing my presence as 'intolerable'. Hope Not Hate's predecessor organisation, Searchlight, long enjoyed a monopoly over media coverage of the far-right - it is worrying if Hope Not Hate believe they have a similar monoply over analysis of fascism, or even of opposition to it?"

Other than 'intolerable' on what grounds did they object to Paul Stott speaking?

Who was the other SWPer who was a noise in the old CPSA for a while - John someone or another - Irish or Scottish surname starting with an M but from London. Wiry little fucker?

Who was the other SWPer who was a noise in the old CPSA for a while - John someone or another - Irish or Scottish surname starting with an M but from London. Wiry little fucker?

Do you mean John Macreadie? He was in the Militant and from Glasgow mind. Died last year incidentally. Martin Smith was in the CPSA too iirc - he was a knobhead then as well.

When was the other instance?

I recall being on the Manchester Bloody Sunday march, turning round and thinking "fucking hell, it's that bloke off the telly".

At the time of the fall out over the IWCA strategy (he was one of the "RA have bottled it" brigade) - he very publically cut himself adrift by agreeing to a profile piece in Time Out. Pictures of him, spray can in hand, spreading the anti-fascist message in dimly lit subways in SE London. Full face photos, the lot.

At the time of the fall out over the IWCA strategy (he was one of the "RA have bottled it" brigade) - he very publically cut himself adrift by agreeing to a profile piece in Time Out. Pictures of him, spray can in hand, spreading the anti-fascist message in dimly lit subways in SE London. Full face photos, the lot.

I have been given a Time Out recently. It might be that one. I'll check later.

Which reminds of a little anecdote that I thought about posting earlier.....maybe to counterbalance some of the war stories (i.e. this kind of thing happened at least as much as coming to grips with the baddies).

I had a flatmate - J - hadn't known him that long, he worked behind the bar in the pub I used to go to after work and me and my mates regularly got stuff on the house from the landlord because we were in there so much. Anyway, gradually me and J got friendly - he needed somewhere to live and the mate I'd had in there before had moved out, I needed someone to help share the rent....

So he moves in and we get to know each other a bit better. He's sound enough so he gets to know a bit about my politics and he begins to express an interest in joining AFA and coming on some activities. It's a little bit tricky trying to find the right opportunity 'cos he's obviously an unknown quantity - but then what seems like the ideal opportunity comes up.

The ratcatcher tells me one night that he's aware of a load of fash stickers going up in an area one of his relatives lives. So me and him head down there one night and right enough, there's KKK, NF, BNP, NSA, Surrey Border Front on more or less every lampost around a group of 5 or 6 streets. All long streets of suburban semis with pedestrian alleys cutting between them. The alleys are stickered too.

So the plan is that we'll go down there again, put a few AFA and RA stickers up, just to lay down a marker, so to speak.

This will be the ideal opportunity for J - we'll need to have our wits about us, but we don't anticipate any fisticuffs - and the ratcatcher says he knows the area.

So one light summer evening, there we are, more or less at the top of one road, having stickered the length of it - when I hear the sound of a group of blokes chatting and about to come round the corner. J is 15 foot up a lampost that some particularly agile fash has stickered, so I tell him to get down quick.

He's just in time to avoid a group of 12-15 blokes coming round the corner. The ratcatcher says quietly, "Let's just walk back to the car, casually - don't rush." Which is no easy feat, given that the car is some 400 yards away and I've clearly started to hear mumblings behind us of "Oi! Look at this!" and "Fucking reds" and "These are fucking recent."

But we hold it together - or at least me and J do: though we started off together, the ratcatcher beat us back to the car by a good 60 yards - again, no mean feat given his build.

Anyway, that was J's first and last time out with AFA - and he moved out of the flat in fairly short order, too.

The tale of how we subsequently tried to get to grips with the 15 fash is another story, but one I won't be repeating on here.

Which reminds of a little anecdote that I thought about posting earlier.....maybe to counterbalance some of the war stories (i.e. this kind of thing happened at least as much as coming to grips with the baddies).

I had a flatmate - J - hadn't known him that long, he worked behind the bar in the pub I used to go to after work and me and my mates regularly got stuff on the house from the landlord because we were in there so much. Anyway, gradually me and J got friendly - he needed somewhere to live and the mate I'd had in there before had moved out, I needed someone to help share the rent....

So he moves in and we get to know each other a bit better. He's sound enough so he gets to know a bit about my politics and he begins to express an interest in joining AFA and coming on some activities. It's a little bit tricky trying to find the right opportunity 'cos he's obviously an unknown quantity - but then what seems like the ideal opportunity comes up.

The ratcatcher tells me one night that he's aware of a load of fash stickers going up in an area one of his relatives lives. So me and him head down there one night and right enough, there's KKK, NF, BNP, NSA, Surrey Border Front on more or less every lampost around a group of 5 or 6 streets. All long streets of suburban semis with pedestrian alleys cutting between them. The alleys are stickered too.

So the plan is that we'll go down there again, put a few AFA and RA stickers up, just to lay down a marker, so to speak.

This will be the ideal opportunity for J - we'll need to have our wits about us, but we don't anticipate any fisticuffs - and the ratcatcher says he knows the area.

So one light summer evening, there we are, more or less at the top of one road, having stickered the length of it - when I hear the sound of a group of blokes chatting and about to come round the corner. J is 15 foot up a lampost that some particularly agile fash has stickered, so I tell him to get down quick.

He's just in time to avoid a group of 12-15 blokes coming round the corner. The ratcatcher says quietly, "Let's just walk back to the car, casually - don't rush." Which is no easy feat, given that the car is some 400 yards away and I've clearly started to hear mumblings behind us of "Oi! Look at this!" and "Fucking reds" and "These are fucking recent."

But we hold it together - or at least me and J do: though we started off together, the ratcatcher beat us back to the car by a good 60 yards - again, no mean feat given his build.

Anyway, that was J's first and last time out with AFA - and he moved out of the flat in fairly short order, too.

The tale of how we subsequently tried to get to grips with the 15 fash is another story, but one I won't be repeating on here.
This is a good ruse...to draw them out...We(local AFA+Searchlight) needed some good shots of Blackpool BNP Organiser. We knew he signed on and what time so we covered over some fash stickers and put some fresh ones up opposite the dole office. We booked into a b & b directly opposite and waited. Bingo...said fash arrives bang on time and starts peeling away..we run off a load of pics..use them to identify him regards some local misdemeaners and he's in the bag. We knew where he lived but it was in a muti storey block so an ID was hard. Ill scan and post the sequence of pics later.

Fuck me. That's a shame. Sounds like he lost the plot.

joey owens. his memoir is as accurate and thorough as is his understanding of nietzsche. nietzsche wasnt an antisemite.

Attachments

• joey-owens.png
    joey-owens.png
    160.1 KB · Views: 23

Not Maloney then, he's a fat fella, AWL fellow traveller but a rather likable fella as it goes. Can't think who you'll be meaning.

Back
Top Bottom