Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

brilliant job mate! well done. must be pretty tedious process. needless to say this website will be plundered for the 'malatesta' book shortly! will link on the blog too. excellent!

Worryingly I enjoy it. I suppose it makes me feel like I'm being productive without actually doing work I need to be.

However on Monday the Fighting Talks which have been missing from the list of them which have been about for ages will be going up.

http://paulstott.typepad.com/i_inte...uth-london-anti-fascists-weds-25-january.html

Fairly interesting article though pretty wishy washy.

Though I liked this part:

I was very active for best part of two decades, a member of Class War for 16 years, I was involved with Anti-Fascist Action on an occasional basis (those who remember Red Action will know Anarchists were always kept in reserve for when the numbers were short, we were the auxillary force) and a founder member of No Platform and Antifa.

was very active for best part of two decades, a member of Class War for 16 years, I was involved with Anti-Fascist Action on an occasional basis (those who remember Red Action will know Anarchists were always kept in reserve for when the numbers were short, we were the auxillary force)

I found this bit strange, as I don't remember it like this, and the DAM lads especially were always right at the front when it kicked off.

was very active for best part of two decades, a member of Class War for 16 years, I was involved with Anti-Fascist Action on an occasional basis (those who remember Red Action will know Anarchists were always kept in reserve for when the numbers were short, we were the auxillary force)

I found this bit strange, as I don't remember it like this, and the DAM lads especially were always right at the front when it kicked off.

I'd agree with that. I always felt many of CW and other Anarchists in the Midlands were just as key in the organizing (along with ourselves as RA members). It was simply a case of whoever had the requisite skills for the job at hand. It was true on occasion you may have had a couple of folks who needed a metaphorical boot up the arse, but I'd like to think that when things became serious everyone mucked in together.

The Paul Stott speech (in my own opinion) is certainly "wishy washy". Perhaps removal from the more street level politics of Anti-Fascism to (in his own words) work and pursue a PhD, has given him the world view of someone who comes across as a UAF spokesperson. Like they say "perception is everything". Although I agree with some instances where he highlights the way the State creates division and tension due to its handling of minority groups, I can't help thinking that his argument that a 'No Platform' policy cannot be enforced in a serious manner is elevating so-called "internet activism" to a level it doesn't deserve.

It's true that the internet provides a double-edged sword where access to information and dissemination of propaganda is concerned. The unfolding of any political initiative will ultimately take place within our communities, and back on the streets. As anti-fascists we can attempt to counter the propaganda of fascists over the internet through either pure argument (as he suggests) or perhaps, others may claim, even through 'Anonymous' style hacking attacks. But the activities of Fascist and Far-Right groups will always need to be tackled in the strictly non-virtual arena where "reasonable debate" is not often possible, nor acceptable.

Also, his citing of the Welling case as being indicative of the so-called failure of militant Anti-Fascism is not strictly correct either. Naturally developing police surveillance techniques, tactics and resources are the things that people must be aware of and learn to counter when involved in any form of direct action or political protest. But if it's the case that advances in technology etc have given the police an edge, it's also certain that it's provided a benefit to political activists too. Of course another argument along similar lines, is that if the police choose to go high-tech then do the reverse. For instance, it's impossible to bug or track a mobile phone if nobody uses them.

Hopefully, if the universities equipment works, there will be several videos and audio recordings being posted on the anti-fascist archive tonight or tomorrow.

I'm excited about these as they included bugged BNP meetings and the World In Action documentary.

In a strange memory moment today, I recalled a documentary where in one section they sent some undercover to pretend to be a new anti-fash and he went to some meeting either in leeds or the dude was pretending to be from leeds. anyone? I seem to remember the meeting was called an AFA meeting but it actually wasn't, it was ANL or someone.

With AFA you were involved as much as you wanted to be. That principle applied both to individuals and groups. The notion that there was an anarchist army held in reserve so that RA could cherry-pick the most attractive confrontations and the subsequent plaudits -which seems to be the inference - does have currency in some circles (see BTF thread on Indymedia) but ought not to be taken seriously.

AFA was created, and certainly re-created in 1989, to accomodate everyone that wanted to put their shoulder to the wheel. DAM signed up for the duration. Class War failed to do so. The former sat at the top table, the latter 'appeared on an occassional basis'.

Which is fair enough, and the support when offered was indeed welcome, but it is somewhat different to being politically sidelined, if that is what is being implied.

Once the video is uploaded it will be on this link.

It's on 11% at the moment.

I've also got a documentary called Ratcatcher on an NF turncoat in the ANL and a documentary on Ray Hill called the Other Face of Terror.

Plus a collection of intel videos of Manchester Martyrs marches plus other bits. This one will take ages to put on a DVD but I think it's worth it.

Nah, I think upload generally takes longer, especially if it's done in decent quality. Just winding you up a little - you're doing a sterling job, really.

Once the video is uploaded it will be on this link.

It's on 11% at the moment.

I've also got a documentary called Ratcatcher on an NF turncoat in the ANL and a documentary on Ray Hill called the Other Face of Terror.

Plus a collection of intel videos of Manchester Martyrs marches plus other bits. This one will take ages to put on a DVD but I think it's worth it.

The Ratcatcher documentary is interesting. I remember everyone watching it and saying "why the fuck hasn't this guy joined AFA?".....a short while later he did.

Look forwards to seeing it again. Sounds like the archive is coming along nicely. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom