Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

I was watching this riot documentary earlier and about 6 minutes in up pops Alec McFaddon with a copy of the Morning Star in his hands! Apparently he works with something called Salford Prison Project now but he was one of the main people in TWAFA who were, as far as I recall, the north east bit of Searchlight. They don't get much of a mention in BTF but I was wondering if anyone knew the extent to which TWAFA was involved with Searchlight? I was involved with the short-lived, yet pretty fucking awesome, North East AFA but I was not really fully aware of the issues around Searchlight at the time.

I wasn't a major player as I'm not a good fighter, unlike some of the other comrades who gave very good accounts of themselves on several occasions but I did do stuff like write reports of our benefit gigs in FT and letters to local press etc.

I actually wrote a couple of times to the Sunderland fanzine 'A Love Supreme' but they never published anything at all or even send a reply and I often wondred if it was because the editor was also Alec McFaddon's son. I just want to make it clear I've got no evidence of this and it's pure idle speculation on my part.

I would say TWAFA involvement with Searchlight has reduced in recent years, theres no denying they work closely with the police, TUC, and local authorities though.

yeah saw those when i was googling about twafa last night. looks like the local fash trying to cause trouble for twafa.

I've been reading an academic paper called AFA: radical resistance or rent a mob. In the footnotes the author's mention another academic paper: R Aylward and M. Hayes: 'Anti-Fascist Action: An Ethnographic Investigation into an Organisation on the Periphery of Polities', paper presented to PSA (Politics of Law and Order Group) 14 November 1998. The paper was based on research which included extensive interviews and participant observation.

I've not been able to find it anywhere online. Can any help on this one? Did anyone take part?

Did you get a copy of it from Mark? Apparently been quite a few requests for it to him lately

He also presented a new paper on RA/AFA at Reading University Wednesday past called 'Red Action, Anti-Fascist action and the BNP:The Practical Dynamics of Reaction and Resistance 1986-1994'

love detective
Rather snooty & academically snobbish (almost horrified) review of the book from Professor Nigel Copsey here (pages 11 & 12)​
The book has clipped his wings in his aspired role as the unoficial historian of anti fascism

To be honest I do not think that the review was a bad one, and you cannot read anything into it beyond whats there with any certainty at all. I think he points out that the cliche hooligan genre, i did this i did that this happened that happened etc does not (often, if at all) provide substantive theory.

I am not Copseys groupie btw, but I wouldn't read anything into that style of writing, it looks standard academic review to me. He could do a hatchet job, but that review wasn't it.

And I say this as a fan of Class War and Ian Bone.

BH, i think the main testament is to how many its sold and that the feedback from antifascists has been very positive! of course copsey's not going to overtly endorse violent antifascism really is he? as well as a good read and the definitive account (so far) of AFA BtF is also full of first person accounts from people who were actually there which a lot of books on anti/fascism seem to lack!

i posted the link because it has some excellent pix of wtaerloo. there is a serious shortage of images from these things as folk didnt have cheap digital cameras then. apologies for breach of protocol but hopefully folk know where the shots are now. m@l

I don't think it would matter if the book had only sold 66 copies, it would still be a bloody good book.
Just for interest I had a copy of this Anti Fascist book prominently displayed for three days at this; http://raiseyourbanners.org/index.php?page=RYB-2011

A few people looked at it, one person enquired, but baulked at the £15 cover price and the reduced £12 I offered it at.

i sold several books on fascism and the nazis, and of course around 25 copies of the Autonomous Anti Fascism pamphlet produced:) a while back (currently in its 2nd edition).

I sold a few copies of Ian Bones book at the event (4) which also had a prominent display, 70 copies of the Class War Poll Tax 20th anniversary paper were distributed, and lots of other things:)

it was initially a tenner! but i still think its worth 15. whats the Autonomous Anti Fascism pamphlet? is it the liverpool afa one?

Back
Top Bottom