Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

we have it (the WIA documentary) converted to digital in an archive of stuff, plus the various news articles referred to - will go up on the BTF site at some point once various bits have been used from them to do a promo video

Might be an idea to also put it on a few of the bit torrent sites devoted to British and/or radical politics.*

*Thinking of The Box and ChomskyTorrents.

On the topic of was Red Action infiltrated. I saw an old Guardian article which mentions that Red Action is controlled by MI5 and Special Branch. Later articles don't say this however.

It was a weird story.

I found a good letter to the guardian from the NF national secretary about turning red action over. I'll do a screen shot soon

Do you think he actually read all of it? A bit odd that the quotes come from pages 23, 23, 23, 25, 25 and then 397 and 403! Were the intervening 372 pages entirely unworthy of comment?

obviously the intermediate pages were too 'close to hoolie literarture for comfort' for an academic distanced from his topic

I read it a few times now, and still can't work out the logic used for his rubbishing of the book's point about him being wrong and AFA being right about the electoral breakthrough of the BNP

So even though back then at the time he completely dismissed it as a possibility and AFA predicted it - and then a decade later it happened - he's somehow still correct in what he said back then because even though something he said would not happen, did happen, it might not have happened. And also according to him he was correct to predict that it wouldn't happen because at the time it didn't seem obvious (to him) that it would happen - you would have thought in this context (i.e it not seeming obvious to him) he would have afforded more respect to the prescience of AFA's analysis - rather than attempt to rubbish it, even though it's as a clear as day whose analysis was left wanting

As 39th Step says, he doesn't seem to pleased at the entrance of this book into the academic world and seems intent on dismissing its contribution either intellectually, academically or otherwise

edit: also shows the huge distance from reality that academics inhabit - his justification for his dismissing of the prospect of an electoral breakthrough for the BNP was that at the time in 1998/1999 Tyndal was still in control, but it shows how little the developments both within the BNP over the 6 years or so prior plus the emergence of new labour etc. had completely passed him by (or at least didn't form any input to his analysis of the direction the BNP was going in and the opportunities that were opening up for it)

He does seem pissed off and snobbish about someone he perceives to be not at his academic level entering his academic arena.

At least he does concede some things in his last paragraph.

Do you think he actually read all of it? A bit odd that the quotes come from pages 23, 23, 23, 25, 25 and then 397 and 403! Were the intervening 372 pages entirely unworthy of comment?

It is indeed like he just read the introduction and conclusion.

It is indeed like he just read the introduction and conclusion.
Copsey also writes in that review that he wanted to interview AFA for his book but he was told he would have to pay. This of course isn't true. I met Copsey at the library I worked at, just after his book came out . He told me then that he'd written to AFA but hadn't had a reply. Funnily enough, no-one in AFA had any recollection of a letter from him.

Copsey also writes in that review that he wanted to interview AFA for his book but he was told he would have to pay. This of course isn't true. I met Copsey at the library I worked at, just after his book came out . He told me then that he'd written to AFA but hadn't had a reply. Funnily enough, no-one in AFA had any recollection of a letter from him.
people i've known wrote several times to afa to find out about joining but received no reply. maybe copsey did send a letter, maybe he didn't, but not everyone who got in touch with afa got a reply.

people i've known wrote several times to afa to find out about joining but received no reply. maybe copsey did send a letter, maybe he didn't, but not everyone who got in touch with afa got a reply.
Same thing happened to me but it wasn't because AFA was ignoring letters. There was also the matter of the state interfering with the mail.

Maybe so, but not recieving a reply, is not how he explains his failure to interview AFA for his book, in his review of BTF.

well it aint hard it is? just come on ere and pm folk. i did! as for reviews doing intro and outro, usual format im afraid, the academic short cut has always been' read the intro and conclusion then photocopy the biblio! as for his hoolie' fear, the first person accounts are oral history, from people who were there and whose input is essential. 'how it was.' you dont get this kind of shoddy reviews from the malatestas!

If he really wanted to surely he'd have been able to get an interview. Unless AFA didn't want to give him an interview for what ever reason.

i don't know when copsey tried - or says he tried - to contact afa. i'm thinking of back in the early 90s when there was no such thing as the internet as we know and love it today.
And cogg, an AFA person, met him so he obviously did make contact with AFA. And no money was asked for. Which means Copsey's claim about that is bollocks.

despite their, at times faulty analyses, copsey, renton et al, never use first person accounts like in BtF. they recycle stuff from other sources. the testimonies of those on the cobbles always needs to be documented.

Back
Top Bottom