Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

it's covered in the book in the chapter on welling

not sure if it's online anywhere at the moment, but extracts from it will be going up on the BTF site at some point

I seem to remember WIA did do a documentary on AFA and from what I've been told it was a bit of a hatchet job. Does anyone know where I might find it online by the way?

It was in the aftermath of the big Welling demo back in October 1993. Both AFA and the YRE 'Away Team' got 'fingered' as 'responsible' for the violence.

No, Militant formed the YRE. The Away Team were YRE/Militant stewards.

The old RCP formed WAR (Workers Against Racism)

or Wankers Always Running as they were known by the Asian kids in Bethnal Green.

WAR has some excellent, committed activists as individuals - and a leadership capable of post-rationalising (in strictly Marxian terms of course) any amount idiocy and downright cowardice. Basically they were all fur coat and no knickers.

or Wankers Always Running as they were known by the Asian kids in Bethnal Green.

WAR has some excellent, committed activists as individuals - and a leadership capable of post-rationalising (in strictly Marxian terms of course) any amount idiocy and downright cowardice. Basically they were all fur coat and no knickers.

300px-2-knowsleynorth.gif

Whatever happenned to Panther UK?

(I have vague memories of a thread years and years ago here on this..but I've long forgotten the contents)

They needed a better PR rep with the doc makers - you'd want to be 'sensible' or 'mainstream', non-militant just makes you sound slack. :D

It was in the aftermath of the big Welling demo back in October 1993. Both AFA and the YRE 'Away Team' got 'fingered' as 'responsible' for the violence.

Actually it was AFA and Red Action, not YRE. Not surprising as Searchlight were, in part at the least, the inspiration.

Actually it was AFA and Red Action, not YRE. Not surprising as Searchlight were, in part at the least, the inspiration.

Sorry Joe, but you're wrong. A leading member of the Away Team was interviewed in that programme. AFA/RA, YRE and Panther all got fingered. I not only had the programme on video but it was, rather bizarrely since I was in it fleetingly, was used in my then 'Politics in the Media' access course...

I've been reading an academic paper called AFA: radical resistance or rent a mob. In the footnotes the author's mention another academic paper: R Aylward and M. Hayes: 'Anti-Fascist Action: An Ethnographic Investigation into an Organisation on the Periphery of Polities', paper presented to PSA (Politics of Law and Order Group) 14 November 1998. The paper was based on research which included extensive interviews and participant observation.

I've not been able to find it anywhere online. Can any help on this one? Did anyone take part?

red storm, the paper would probably have been given at a conference and may not have been published. i'm assuming that some of the material is replicated in the link here.

Sorry Joe, but you're wrong. A leading member of the Away Team was interviewed in that programme. AFA/RA, YRE and Panther all got fingered. I not only had the programme on video but it was, rather bizarrely since I was in it fleetingly, was used in my then 'Politics in the Media' access course...

Well, it is a while since i saw it, so if YRE were interviewed, then they were. However i don't accept it was wrong to say that RA and AFA were the principle targets. In the immediate aftermath, RA was identified as the instigator of the violence by an 'anti-terrorist expert' on Radio Five live. In the London Evening Standard, in the following week,one article cited Panther and RA as the likely ones to have 'their doors kicked in' any time soon. In another article, on I think, another day, RA is accused 'of hi-jacking AFA', by another of AFA's founding members Unmesh Desai. NMP also described AFA as ' paramilitary'.

Moreover, the WIA programme was merely the culmination of conspiracy to entrap. On the day of the march AFA recieved news that a large body of C18 had assembled at Abbey Wood. The decision was taken that rather than go on the march AFA would confront them there. However the police had other ideas. The refused access to Plumstead station and we were ordered under pain of arrest to attach ourselves to the back of the march. It later emerged that the AFA contingent had already been 'body-mapped'. In other words the SB had already identified their suspects in advance, and having gone to that trouble didn't want them wandering off out of harm's way. As it happens, AFA 'wandered off' anyway. And rather perversely, out of crowd of 60,000 or so were still spotted by police helicopter and followed even though their colleagues on the ground were otherwise engaged in a full scale riot. An odd use of resources in normal circumstances wouldn't you say?

But given that, as is now widely accepted, it was effectively a riot planned and instigated by police, their actions were entirely logical. As for the WIA programme we had information that it was intended to be a hatchet job, but on balance (better to represent yourself than have others misrepresent you) decided to take part anyway. It took the WIA two hours of interview to try and get the RA and AFA reps to say what they wanted them to say. And they still failed. Incidentally from the off, they did little to hide their hostility or later their frustration at the outcome.

Incidentally, out of curiousity, do you know who contacted the 'Away Team' to take part, why did they agree to do so, and what, apart from what was broadcast, (which was?) was the YRE rep invited to comment on.

Yet another , timely, good example from Joe of the lengths the state will go to entrap Lefties they have a dislike for - as are the recent court cases involving "outed" deep entry cops in various progressive campaigns. I particularly liked the case some time ago of the undercover cop who became a part of a "radical streetclown" (!!) group , for OVER A YEAR ! Mind you there was a state informer in the top circles of CND for over 30 years apparently. And of course the informer Roger Rosewall was on the IS/SWP Central Committee for 20 years or so, part of the time being national industrial organiser.

So the lesson for all activist Lefties as always is "if he/she looks decidedly dodgy, he/she might well be - so take care". Restrained paranoia can be a survival trait.

Back
Top Bottom