Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Banks create money out of nothing" - Guardian

Christ you are a muppet - you're constantly contradicting your previous statements. Of course you can lend out money that you actually have! This is the same as funding a loan prior to its actual extension, i.e. you can lend out money that you have already secured. That in itself is of course a banality though. Your claim was that if a bank got a deposit of £100 they could lend out this thirty times without having to get the money from anywhere - yet when asked how they do that, you simply state they have got the money to lend it out! So what you've done above is confirm that what you said was possible earlier is not actually possible. I ask again though, that money that they 'actually have' where does that come from? what is the accounting entry and flows that arise when that money comes into them? we know one side of it which is a debit entry representing the money they have as an asset - but what is the other side of that? anything you say here will obviously be a credit entry (in the eyes of the bank) and in turn that has to represent a liability with an external party (customer, interbank lender or central bank). That in turn shows that a bank has to be able to fund any loans it makes. It can't just magic the money up out of anywhere, it relies on whoever the external party is that that credit/liability entry represents a liability to

You miss the point which is that the bank can lend up to thirty times the amount of cash it has. IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY LEND OUT THE CASH WHEN IT MAKES A LOAN. Although I said "it can lend out a £1000 cash deposit thirty times" the loans are simply ledger entries. The cash doesn't go anywhere. Not until someone withdraws it, but the whole point is that at any one time, only a fraction of depositors will withdraw.

You're showing how little grasp you have on this here - the loan from the point of view of the bank is an asset, not a liability you muppet. In the bank's books the loan is something due back to them, so it's a debit entry in their ledger which represents an asset. Now i'm asking you again, what is the other side of that entry - what is the credit entry? (which form the point of view of the bank is a liability). As i said above, anything you say here will be a credit entry (in the eyes of the bank) and that has to represent a liability with an external party (customer, interbank lender or central bank). That in turn shows that a bank has to be able to fund any loans it makes. Which in turn makes a mockery of your claim that the bank can just magic the money into existence.
Again you miss the point which is that "the loan" - the thing which gives the recipient purchasing power - is the liability expressed by the bank. That is the money! It is an accounting entry. Of course on the other side, the loan is recorded as an asset. That is not the thing that circulates: that entry stays where it is. The bank liability to the customer - that is the thing that circulates, and we regard as money.

It seems that you still do not regard the accounting entry as the money.

I gave a pretty detailed breakdown of the accounting entries when a loan takes place, so I don't understand why you are still asking me for them. I have not got any similar from you regarding your comments "fund the loan position" where you don't give the accounting entries.

Even your previous example (which was correct by the way) of what happens when someone pays money from their account to another account, shows that the bank is not the independent, money creating, entity in all this. In that its the party which wishes to pay money from their account to someone else that instigates the flows & accounting entries that the bank then makes. This is what I meant earlier when I said the accounting entries are a reflection of something happening, they are the effect not the cause. But you are either unable or unwilling to aknowledge this (even though your examples actually prove it) because it pulls the rug away from your nonsense that commercial banks just create money out of nothing. When in fact they can only play a part in credit creation if all the other dependecies and requirements are in place - which makes them the dependent, not independent actor[/quote]

"Credit creation" = money creation. So you agree they create money. What on earth are you thinking they create it from? Potatoes? I have no idea as to the rest of the logic of this paragraph. "The accounting entries are a reflection of something happening" - they ARE the thing that happens. You can say the process instigated in someone's mind - this is just silly.

wrong - what you describe above is the internal accounting entry, at the point of doing this, the bank has to be in a position to fund the withdrawl of that money from the loan account. which can only be done by ensuring they already have existing money in their own liquid accounts or ensuring they can fund the soon to be drawn loan by funding it though customer deposits, interbank lending, etc.. all of which, from the eyes of the bank would entail an entry which would be DR Bank Cr Liability (with the liability being the bank's liability to whoever they funded the position from)

No, you continually misunderstand this, it's not about cash being earmarked to cover the loan, it's about money being earmarked to cover the loan. If they don't do that, the loan doesn't get made. I can't put it any simpler than that. You've even proved this above in two of your examples without even realising i (i.e. to move money from one person's account to another requires the agreement and involvement of the person with the money in their account in the first place, and to loan out £100 thirty times requires, in your own words, 'cash that they actually have' (although I wouldn't refer to that as cash but money, but i know what you meant)
So you accept that "money" may be different to cash (including reserves). So, where does that money come from? The commercial banks create it.

You have a point that banks have to anticipate what will happen to their cash reserves if they make new loans. If the loans are going to be taken out of the bank, then that does effect their bank of england reserves so in theory the multiple expansion process is safer, with the new money being created incrementally as deposits flow between banks with each new loan. However the thing I wish to stress is that deposit expansion process somehow looks just like the same 'money' moving around - like something you or I could do - when the credit creation on that scale is absolutely NOT something you or I could do. We cannot lend out the same tenner thirty times, with thirty people able to demand the one tenner at any time. We get caught out. However, on a smaller scale, we can do the poker example I described earlier, which is exactly the same as fractional reserve lending but on a much smaller level.

your continually mixing this up - this is not a discussion about the form of money - the fact that only 3% of money circulates in the form of cash is completely irrelevant to the discussion we're having. All the time i've been talking about money, not cash, and in fact the only person who has mentioned cash, when they should have said money, was you - just above.
So the 97% of money which is not cash (or BofE reserves) is created by commercial banks. It is money. It is created from nothing. It exists as accounting entries.

Well, even supposing we figured out how to avoid doing that, it would cost money to do it. And we can't afford it at its present price (economies seize up around $90/bbl, which is why we are having to print money to maintain the illusion of solvency). So we definitely couldn't afford the solution. And there is no difference, in any sense that matters, between oil you can't afford, and oil that isn't there.

So it's fictitious, whichever way you slice it.
there's actually a massive amount of difference.

the money spent on oil doesn't just disappear, it gets recycled back into the global economy in one way or another, although it does represent a massive transfer of wealth from the non-oil producing nations to those still exporting the stuff, a significant portion of the money is also transferred back to the UK via dividend payments to pension firms etc from BP, Shell etc. Obviously this is a far from perfect redistribution process, but it's important to recognise that this does happen to some degree in various ways.

It also means that it is still available to power those aspects of the economy that simply can't function without it as things stand - planes, cargo ships, albeit that the increased price ought to result in their use being reduced, they will still be available at a price for the forseeable future.

whereas if there were no oil being pumped at all then everything would grind to a halt entirely (for the forseeable future at least).

Hall, C., Balogh, S. & Murphy, D. (2009), ‘What is the minimum EROI that a sustainable society must have?’, Energies
Interesting paper thanks...

Having skimmed that, I'm a bit surprised at their conclusion that an EROEI of 3:1 is the absolute minimum for a sustainable society though, although I note the following from the conclusion:-

Of course the 3:1 minimum “extended EROI” that we calculate here is only a bare minimum for
civilization. It would allow only for energy to run transportation or related systems, but would leave
little discretionary surplus for all the things we value about civilization: art, medicine, education and so
on; i.e. things that use energy but do not contribute directly to getting more energy or other resources.

IMO the actual minimum sustainable average EROEI of all the energy we use on the planet would need to be significantly higher than that, although I'm finding it hard to interpret it as they're using a measure they define as 'extended EROEI' instead of the more common EROEI (would I be right in assuming that this is where you've got some of your similar ideas on EROEI calcs from?).

Actually, on rereading it, I see that this is why their figure is so much lower than I'd expect, and have to say that I disagree with their 'extended EROEI' methodology. IMO it's not useful to include stuff like the road infrastructure in the EROEI calcs for oil, as this is then largely irrelevant if the oil were to be used for planes, domestic heating or power generation.

EROEI figures are only really useful as a means of comparing one fuel with another, and determining how much additional energy is going to actually be available from that fuel once all the energy costs of its production have been accounted for. The other aspects they include should be kept on the overall consumption side of things, as part of the energy demand that must be met from the additional energy produced from that fuel.

There is a point about the actual efficiency of the conversion of that potential energy into useful energy needing to be factored into the equation somewhere, but I'm not sure if that should be done as an EROEI calculation as that efficiency will vary depending upon the use it is being put to. This is one of the factors that I think often gets missed when comparing eg solar PV with oil / coal etc though, as particularly for distributed SSEGs the losses (after conversion) are minimal, whereas for coal they're around 60-70% when converter to electricity.

Perhaps for that purpose a seperate EROEIelectricity could be useful.

actually, perhaps there ought to also be EROEIvehicle which could allow for full cycle comparison between the different fuel and power options for vehicles... anyway, now I'm waffling and I've just seen the time. I'll try to return to this and explain what I'm trying to say a bit more clearly at a later point.

So the 97% of money which is not cash (or BofE reserves) is created by commercial banks. It is money. It is created from nothing. It exists as accounting entries.

It is created through the process of the circulation of value and/or ficticious value around the system - it is not created by commercial banks, and certainly not from nothing either.It is created through the process of circulation in which the banks do play a role, but not the independent one that you seem to think they do, they are the dependent actor in that whole process. If the situations & conditions that are required for the efficient flow of circulation are not in place then the bank's can do not a thing about it. On a banal level yes you could say that money is created out of nothing, because money is of course immaterial (even hard cash), but this is like saying education is created out of nothing and is also nothing

You posit the banks with the independent power to create money - they do not have this - they are totally depedent on the conditions being appropriate for them to play the dependent part that they play in all of this. I mean just look around you at the moment to see that this is true - bank's are totally dependent on a variety of state schemes to keep them going, yet you still posit them as the independent actor in all of this. If you are able to get beyond this you might start to get some half way decent and solid critique of finance capital

I don't buy much of what you have said in the previous post - take northern rock for example, you claim it went under because punters wanted to withdraw hard cash and that is what caused it to collapse. This is uninformed. At the time of its troubles, it is true that around a couple of billion was withdrawn by depositors and placed with other banks, however this is dwarved by the £30bn of funding that was withdrawn from it when the interbank lending market seized up on it and other banks refused to rollover its short term lending that it had previously had in place which NR had been using to support its long term mortgage lending (this by the way is another example of a bank funding it's lending, something you can't seem to get that it has to do). Now according to your theory Norther Rock should have never went under, as this is all just accounting entries that it has the independent power to create at will. The reality of the situation is that this is nowhere near the case and the bank's do not have this power that you posited them with. They have power of course to do lots of things and it is this, set in a proper analysis & critique of the finance system's place in capitalist social relations that should be targeted, but you do not seem interested in this deeper critique of the system.

btw, fwiw, while I don't entirely agree with Jazz here, I'd have to say that he's got the gist of it right.

like most conspiracy theorists, there's always a small element of something there. It's what they then do and where they go with that that does more harm, than good, to that element being properly understood and critiqued/attacked for what it is, rather than for what they want it to be

1999. Yes, perfectly precise. My annotated copy is next to me. Are you aware of how rapidly the field has developed in the last 5 years?
Frankly, considering how dull and unconvcing Ayres was, I have no interest in reading anything else. The problem you seem to have (or at least the most significant problem) is that you dont seem to get that by saying 'this is how the system works' you seem to be thinking that that is how I, and the likes of LD, think that the system does actually work, and that we are defending it.We're not. To quote LD again:

Different argument, butchers. The (untenable) argument in this thread is for the sustainability of certain money creation processes.

where has this argument been made and by whom?

yeah - he's clearly conflating a desire on the part of someone to understand something properly with support for (or belief in) that system that they seek to understand

which on his logic would make Marx the greatest supporter of capitalism the world has ever seen

Frankly, considering how dull and unconvcing Ayres was, I have no interest in reading anything else.
I see. So you make an assertion, cite a reference, admit your reference is unconvincing, then admit you are uninterested in reading anything else that might challenge your view, apparently on the basis of your attention span.
The problem you seem to have (or at least the most significant problem) is that you dont seem to get that by saying 'this is how the system works' you seem to be thinking that that is how I, and the likes of LD, think that the system does actually work, and that we are defending it.We're not. To quote LD again:where has this argument been made and by whom?

The problem you have is that I have made the statement that the money creation process is untenable for as long as no relationship is maintained between it and the net quantity of available energy. Ever since making that statement I have been subjected to a barrage of foul mouthed invective and insult. Either you are disagreeing with my statement, and therefore arguing that the money creation process, disconnected from energy, is tenable, or your argument is pointless.

Of course, it may be that you are simply arguing with passion about the various operations in an internally consistent but objectively meaningless system. In which case, I look forward to your views on the influence of Mar's opposition to Sagittarius on the money lending cycle.

If I've missed any other possibilities, let me know.

I see. So you make an assertion, cite a reference, admit your reference is unconvincing, then admit you are uninterested in reading anything else that might challenge your view, apparently on the basis of your attention span.
The bit quoted was the only thing in Ayres that didnt seem utterly nonsense in fact. So this whole statement is wrong - as per.

The problem you have is that I have made the statement that the money creation process is untenable for as long as no relationship is maintained between it and the net quantity of available energy. Ever since making that statement I have been subjected to a barrage of foul mouthed invective and insult. Either you are disagreeing with my statement, and therefore arguing that the money creation process, disconnected from energy, is tenable, or your argument is pointless.

Of course, it may be that you are simply arguing with passion about the various operations in an internally consistent but objectively meaningless system. In which case, I look forward to your views on the influence of Mar's opposition to Sagittarius on the money lending cycle.

If I've missed any other possibilities, let me know.
I've stated perfectly clearly that the mopney creation process is disconnected from energy. You really seem to have difficulty reading basic english. Which must be why you keep ignoring LD's oft repeated question. Dishonest little man.

Love Detective said:

Falcon - why are you unable to answer the simple question that we ask?

You made a confident declaration as to what was being argued on this thread - surely it should be straightforward to point us to where this argument has actually been made and by whom?

The problem you have is that I have made the statement that the money creation process is untenable for as long as no relationship is maintained between it and the net quantity of available energy. Ever since making that statement I have been subjected to a barrage of foul mouthed invective and insult.

No, you made a claim that the counter argument to you on this thread was the 'untenable argument...for the sustainability of certain money creation processes'

Since making that statement you have not been subjected to a 'barrage of foul mouthed invective and insult'. You have simply been asked, many times, to point to where that argument has been made on this thread and to who has been making it. Can you do that?

You have simply been asked, many times, to point to where that argument has been made on this thread and to who has been making it. Can you do that?
Either you agree with me that the money system, disconnected from the energy system, is meaningless. In which case your speculations about the operations of the money system, now disconnected as it is from the energy system, are also meaningless.

Or you do not agree with me that the money system, disconnected from the energy system, is meaningless. In which case, it is you who has been making the argument.

Have I missed any other possibility? Is there some other factor that prompted your (collective) bizarre emissions of muppets, shitheads, and Malthusians?

Either you agree with me that discussions about energy, disconnected from the the existence of the sun and human beings, is meaningless. In which case your speculations about the operations of the energy system, now disconnected as it is from the existence of the sun and human beings, are also meaningless.

Or you do not agree with me that the energy system, disconnected from the existence of the sun and human beings, is meaningless. In which case, it is you who has been making the argument.

Now

The (untenable) argument in this thread is for the sustainability of certain money creation processes.

Either you agree with me that discussions about energy, disconnected from the the existence of the sun and human beings, is meaningless. In which case your speculations about the operations of the energy system, now disconnected as it is from the existence of the sun and human beings, are also meaningless.
Err - no. I'm not speculating about the operations of the energy system. Unlike the financial system, those are not subject to speculation - they are subject to the laws of thermodynamics, which offer pretty clear guidance on the size of economy we can expect based on a low grade energy source (hint: think ploughshares). I didn't disconnected the energy system from the sun and people. I disconnected an energy system based on sun and people from a financial system based on concentrated, fossilised sun. You just made up a different dichotomy to avoid my question, and hoped I wouldn't notice.

Let's try a different tack. My first contribution was to assert that the money creation process is unsustainable. The response you made, which started this little exchange, was: "stick to fitting solar panels".

Either you meant: "stick to fitting solar panels - the money creation process is sustainable", in which case you are making the argument. Or you meant: "stick to fitting solar panels - the money creation process is unsustainable", in which case you appear to be boxing shadows.

Which is it?

By you, when you told me to stick to fitting solar panels in response to my assertion that the money creation process was unsustainable. You may avoid my questions by repeating your questions. You may not avoid the impression that you can't answer my questions.

You set off on entirely the wrong foot when you attacked me, then you dug a hole for yourself with a misjudged attack as a substitute for defence, and now you can't get out. I'll let you off - I don't intend to pursue this any further with you.

Demonstrate it. Explain to us all what you meant when you told me to stick to fitting solar panels after I asserted that the money creation process was unsustainable.

Firstly, you lied when you said my post about fitting solar panels was in response to this post of yours here - it wasn't, it was in response to this post of yours here.

But more importantly and despite your crap above, I was the first out of both of us to make reference to a wider context being required in which to locate any argument/theory of money & value in this post here in response to Jazz who locates his theory purely in money and money alone, disconnected from everything else. This post was some time before you first raised the issue in your post that you refer to above and also some time before you accused me of asserting that the money creation process was both sustainable and meaningful when detached from a material base/energy (which makes your assertion about my argument even more bizarre considering it came after I did the exact opposite of what you claim I did)

You then tried to get out of the hole by suggesting that this wider context that I was urging analysis to take place within, did not somehow include energy creation, even though any reasonable person would have taken it as read that this is an integral part of commodity production - you then contradicted yourself by agreeing with me (without even realising) that it did when failing to pick up on my sarcastic response to yet another of your fuckwited posts (i.e. your response to me of 'give [me] an example of a commodity which doesn't involve the use of energy')

is it any wonder that following such a fuckwited performance by yourself, that I then became reduced to posts of 'lol' and 'stick to solar panel fitting' afterwards as rational, sensible & analytical discussion didn't seem to have any affect on you

i.e. by that time, it was clear that there was only one voice you were interested in listening to, and that was your own

feel free though to construct a narrative around it that suits you better, but i have to say after asking you about ten times for an answer to my question, that this is the best you can come up speaks plenty

is it any wonder that following such a fuckwited performance by yourself, that I then became reduced to posts of 'lol' and 'stick to solar panel fitting' afterwards as rational, sensible & analytical discussion didn't seem to have any affect on you
Your posts of 'lol' and 'stick to solar panel fitting' were your first and second posts following my first and second posts. The 'fuckwited (sic.) performance' which you claim reduced you to your guttural Beavis and Butthead impersonation occurred after that. So, by reversing the order of events, you appear to be suggesting that you were responding to comments I had not yet made.

Remarkable. The narrative I'm feeling free to construct is the one that follows the normal flow of time i.e. from earlier events to later ones.

Oh and - by the way - the reason I ignored you was because it took you that long to control your potty mouth, which I note you have lost control of again.

Your fuckwited performance Falcon, included asserting I had done the exact opposite of what I had actually done

Hence the reference to what I had actually said in the earlier post, which you then claimed I'd done the opposite off in your posts - hence the 'lol' and 'stick to fitting solar panels' which then followed

Keep wriggling though

Now that you have dropped punctuation, conventional spelling, coherent sentence structure, and the basic ability to recall simple event sequences, you've become more or less totally incomprehensible. I think we have to call it a day.

Excellent, I see it's time for the Mad Interrogator portion of our show.

Love Detective, you've been told where the argument has been made, and by whom, several times now. What purpose can you possibly believe you are serving by continuing to jabber on about it?

(That will keep him going for a while. Meantime...)

Back
Top Bottom