Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Meanwhile, on the West Bank Front

Palestinian students and academics in Israel rather than the West Bank.

Palestinian students and faculty have long encountered racism, discrimination, and harassment at Israeli universities and colleges, but the weeks since October 7 have seen a significant spike in cases. A crackdown on freedom of expression by Israeli authorities — which is also impacting left-wing Israeli Jews — has created an atmosphere of fear that seeks to silence any dissent against the Israeli army’s ongoing bombardment of the Gaza Strip.
Perhaps more frightening still has been the harassment of Palestinian students by their Jewish peers. Shortly after the war began, the National Union of Israeli Students called for the immediate suspension of anyone who expresses solidarity with Hamas’ attacks and encouraged students to anonymously report those suspected of supporting terror.

It's not December anywhere, except maybe the moon.

Yes I know there has been violence in Jerusalem for many years. My point was that the current wave of violence resulting from Hamas' break-out is only now spreading to Jerusalem, from which it had previously been absent. This is a significant development.
Except that's not true. It's only true if you are only counting Hamas violence, which was the point of two sheds' criticism. There has been violence directed against Palestinians in occupied East Jerusalem throughout the last two months.

fwiw I despaired when I heard Hamas claim responsibility for this. It was inevitable that Israeli politicians would jump on it as proof that they'd broken the terms of the truce and use it to justify further brutality. Hamas violence only brings further misery to Palestinians in any of the occupied territories - but they have misery either way.

If you're going to post on this subject, be more careful about how you frame it. And take criticism on the chin - you made a shit post, own it. Not a good subject for you to be a twat about.

Conditions in Israeli prisons

Content warning: This article contains testimonies of severe abuse and threats of sexual assault.

The release of 240 Palestinian prisoners and detainees during the recent temporary ceasefire between Israel and Hamas has shed light on the severe deterioration of conditions inside Israeli prisons since the war began...

They've obviously given up on PR. I suppose they think they can't win that game, so they won't play. So they 'll just make it illegal to criticize them instead! Job's a good 'un!

A lot of unspecific 'theys' here, I'm trying to work my way through.

I think you're talking about the current Israeli regime - but given that they can only make laws for israelis in Israel and not people everywhere in the world, who is the 'they' that will make it illegal to criticise israel everywhere else?

I think you're talking about the current Israeli regime - but given that they can only make laws for israelis in Israel and not people everywhere in the world, who is the 'they' that will make it illegal to criticise israel everywhere else?
Guess you could get certain governments sympathetic to the Israeli government involved in trying bring in legislation to limit protests, slogans, the carrying/display of Palestinian flags...

Guess you could get certain governments sympathetic to the Israeli government involved in trying bring in legislation to limit protests, slogans, the carrying/display of Palestinian flags...

This is getting very close to 'they' have influence all over the world, which I think is where dwyer is actually coming from.

There are definitely instances of the UK right wing press going for those who criticise Israel. I mentioned Olly Alexander in the other thread, though I don't think the article I linked to previously mentioned the desire to have him sacked.

There are definitely instances of the UK right wing press going for those who criticise Israel. I mentioned Olly Alexander in the other thread, though I don't think the article I linked to previously mentioned the desire to have him sacked.

I agree but this isn't quite they'll make sure your laws get changed to make X illegal, which is what dwyer seems to be contending.

I agree but this isn't quite they'll make sure your laws get changed to make X illegal, which is what dwyer seems to be contending.

I don't think attempting to force people out of a job or a role is much different tbf. (Though, like you, I don't know who Dwyer is referring to.)

Marc Rowan, Lloyd Blankfein, Kenneth Griffin, William Ackman, Seth Klarman....

Les Wexner, Clifford Asness, Leon Cooperman, Jon Huntsman, Nick Gaede....

Q
OK I have to confess I don't know these names. Why are they important?
They are billionaire donors to Ivy League universities, who are threatening to withdraw funds unless the schools forbid anti-Zionism. I know this hasn't received much coverage in the UK, but it's big news in the USA.

Consider for example Len Blavatnik. Total thug, born in Ukraine, made fortune by expropriation of state assets after the fall of the SU, gave billions to Harvard, and now he thinks he's bought the right to tell the professors what to say. It's grotesque.

Back
Top Bottom