Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands you refuse to listen to because their name is awful

I was surprised when someone on here said that Psychick Warriors of Gaia are apparently not a ropy psytrance act. I still haven't got around to listening to them to confirm this though.
They pre-date dodgy psy-trance by over half a decade. Their name comes from associations with Psychic TV - a couple of them were part of Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth crowd in the 80s. Exit 23 from 1990 was canned on the early trance scene and their influence leaked into psy-trance when that became a thing.

I suppose you have to give Ordinary Boys points for honesty. "Alright lads, we've written these forgettable tunes that have nothing special about them, now all we need is a name that lets listeners know that they shouldn't expect anything new or unique."

Yay or nay? :hmm:
From the album Gravelands

i think his real name is James Brown :)🤓😎👻

A band, fronted by an Elvis impersonator, doing cod-reggae versions of Led Zep songs.
Yeah I dont' think tribute bands count do they. They're supposed to have dire puns.
The Rolling Clones etc.

Me and a mate a long time ago, talked about doing a punk ahem, tribute to Mick Hucknell. Neither of us actually liked his music but Mick Shrapnel and Simply Dred was basically the whole idea. My mate at least had dreds...

A lot of people who use their RL name are fucking legends in my opinion. Regardless of your/my taste in music. I admit that I probably have limited knowledge compared to a lot of folks on here but,
Bob Seger; wanted to do his own music and not be produced by some music exec. wank stain, saved up his cash and produced his own album.
Tom Petty; signed with a label and, like so many before him got fucked over. Claimed bankruptsy, started over and made it big.
Vanessa Carlton; Had a hit, label said lets just make more of these and she said "no, I wanna be creative", and walked away.
Jill Jackson; Started off with a bang in Speedway, didn`t like it and left to do her own folk thing.
And that guy who all the ladies throw their panties at while at his show in Vegas, that guy, fucking legend.

It's not that someone using their own name can't be good (they can be and are) but that someone using their own name is unlikely to grab my attention enough to bother to listen to their music.

It's not that someone using their own name can't be good (they can be and are) but that someone using their own name is unlikely to grab my attention enough to bother to listen to their music.
Should I start a teh mojo pixys Tribute band?

Bring Me The Horizon have an amazing name, and their music is total toilet

I keep hearing their name recently so played one random track the other week but it didn't make much impression. Just looked at their wiki page, Sykes sounds like a twat but I'm a bit curious to listen to the Cut up version of Suicide Season.

Back
Top Bottom