Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands you refuse to listen to because their name is awful

I've been listening to a load of early 70's English folk recently. With the more traditional bands, their names, album names and song names are all about selling authenticity over creativity. So we've got eg:

Brenda Wootton, John the Fish & Cornish Folk - Pasties and Cream
Oldham Tinkers - We're Off In a Motor Car
The Ripley Wayfarers - Chips and Brown Sauce
The Liverpool Fisherman - Swallow the Anchor

All these make chuckle, more at them than with them, but these folks really do what's said on the tin and actually it's great.

Not heard of Tofu Love Frogs but I've looked them up in a spirit of "no badly named band gets left behind". They were a celtic folk/punk rock band in the 90's. They did a song about Anti-Fascist Action. I like them. I guess their name is self-deprecating/ironic/absurd. Sure they could have done with a better name, but really I'm not bothered.
They were unavoidable amongst a certain milieu 25/30 years ago. Classify as ‘mostly harmless’

Ben Folds Five

For years I (very vaguely) wondered ‘folds five what’s?’ Once I finally twigged I still didn’t want to listen to them.

I just Googled it and apparently they started as a three-piece band formed by Ben Folds who said "I think it sounds better than Ben Folds Three".

Last edited:
Not heard of Tofu Love Frogs but I've looked them up in a spirit of "no badly named band gets left behind". They were a celtic folk/punk rock band in the 90's. They did a song about Anti-Fascist Action. I like them. I guess their name is self-deprecating/ironic/absurd. Sure they could have done with a better name, but really I'm not bothered.

I may well be wrong but my, by now very clouded, memory tells me that that song wasn't exactly complimentary about AFA.

Four Non Blondes. What a fucking dirge as well. Smelly Cat territory.
Ah now, they've kept me safe and sane for decades. I got recommended further listening by an lgb group worker I loved, because initially I couldn't get past "what's going on"

I'm going to go mischief the music thread later with dear mr president or old Mr heffer later if I don't forget :)

I have neither morphine nor chocolate.

For a long time, I avoided listening to a band my mate recommended, called 'The Prevention'. When I finally did, I liked them - I think they're better than 'The Cure'.

Chumbawamba and Flux of Pink Indians both pretty wank names, come to think of it. I think My Bloody Valentine and My Dying Bride and My Chemical Romance are too many bands to all be using the formula "My [something a bit scary] [something romantic]", the other two should probably have just left MBV to it and thought of something else.

Anthrax
Napalm death
and any other try hard look at me I'm so shocking metal bands

Fair point, although the weird thing about Napalm Death was that original members formed and named the band as a Crass-style anarcho-punk outfit in the early 80s. By the time they'd turned into a grindcore metal group in the late 80s all those original members had gone, and weirder still all those late 80s people have since been replaced too.

Silly name, great band. I didn't realise until they recently changed their name that One Little Indian records was so named because its run by one of the guys from Flux of Pink Indians.
Yeah, and tbf they did at least recognise it was a silly name when they just shortened it to Flux, which is fine.
Fair point, although the weird thing about Napalm Death was that original members formed and named the band as a Crass-style anarcho-punk outfit in the early 80s. By the time they'd turned into a grindcore metal group in the late 80s all those original members had gone, and weirder still all those late 80s people have since been replaced too.
It's like that Greek philospher with the ship. I'd forgotten until recently that in between recording side 1 and side 2 of Scum every single member except the drummer left, which must be a unique accomplishment in music history.

Back
Top Bottom