Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands you refuse to listen to because their name is awful

Because of the source I got the name from, I assumed they were far right white supremacists :D :facepalm:

not as far as I know. But then I haven’t read anything about them... Metal is replete with the sort of band names you think, really? Bong, I haven’t listened to them.

I'm intrigued by this one, and would like to listen to them. But how??
They’re pronounced Freur and they metamorphosed into Underworld. Actually I do want to hear them, I was just reacting to the morse code one. Welsh synthy prog rock I think

not as far as I know. But then I haven’t read anything about them... Metal is replete with the sort of band names you think, really? Bong, I haven’t listened to them.
Bong are a great band. The stoner doom band names are all scene jokes though, none of them are serious. cf. Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard, Bongripper, etc etc. Great bands, ludicrous names.

Band names are meant to be memorable though, it matter more than any other single thing really. How they are memorable is less important than that they are. If the band / artist is any good, the name attracts attention they can then exploit by being good. If they're rubbish well, you knew they would be right, because they had a silly name, so.

Edit. Sorry wrong quote originally.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
Siouxie and the Banshees
Gerry and the Pacemakers
Echo and the Bunnymen...

I reckon I'd only be missing out with the first on your list, maybe. The others? I'm fine with never hearing again tbh. :)

Band names are meant to be memorable though, it matter more than any other single thing really. How they are memorable is less important than that they are. If the band / artist is any good, the name attracts attention they can then exploit by being good. If they're rubbish well, you knew they would be right, because they had a silly name, so.
Silly names are fine but boring names aren't

Silly names are fine but boring names aren't

Hence my general dismissal of individuals or band leaders who use their RL name as the stage name. OK you can still be good but without hearing you, just hearing your name isn't enough to make me stop and pay attention. Something like Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich might, because it's long and stupid, but it's been done. The Stage Name was invented for a reason, because most people's real names are boring as shit so unless you had mad parents who called you Sunbeam or Loki or Baal just come up with a stage name ffs.

Back
Top Bottom