Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands you refuse to listen to because their name is awful

Remember back in like the early-mid 2010s when Perfect Pussy were like a hype band for a bit? I usually quite like abrasive hardcore but I never really got what the fuss was about with them, and they had really shit sound the one time I saw them. Also they were called Perfect Pussy.

Everybody suddenly going 'yeh I've always loved Sabbath 4 and Hawkwind' helped.

Thing is, I've always loved Sabbath 4 and Hawkwind, but Pigs x 7 or whatever can fuck right off because Black Sabbath and Hawkwind already did it and much, much better.

I fucking hate them.

Oh, Joanna Gruesome, that's another one for the "bands I don't actually refuse to listen to because they are/were good but I really wish they were called something else" list. I reckon if it wasn't a Newsome pun it'd be fine, but the pun element tips it over the edge.

I'm not much of a fan of pigs x 7, but this is wildly wide of the mark - they languished in obscurity for a decade as various band members' joke side project before radio 6 mysteriously picked them up.

I wish they'd fucking stayed languishing

Sorry, just ranting now, apologies

Not sure I've ever avoided a band just because of their name.

Fucking wish I had with pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs

There's surely posters that folks won't read because of their usernames, too.

Back to the bands, Sunn 0))) was very off-putting, initially...

The Pork Dukes

there was a bloke that used to deliver the Saturday evening sports paper back in the early 80s that had this painted badly on the back of his denim jacket. As a kid I used to make a note of band names painted on jackets to check out, but this blokes double denim outfit and greasy hair put me right off.

I've got this on 12" pink vinyl, its fucking crap. God knows how it got in my record collection but it's there with other embarrassing stuff like Paul Young.
I've not got a denim though so no, thats not me.

Anyway, I'd never buy anything by Michael Bubble cos his name is silly.

Oh, Alvvays, I never listened to them until very recently but turns out I really like them, but again, crap name. I suspect I might well really like Wavves if I listened to them, but they're guilty of the double offence of being landlords and having their name spelt wrong, which puts them over the line for me. Any fucking band who spell the word "The" as "Thee", hate that.

Oh, Alvvays, I never listened to them until very recently but turns out I really like them, but again, crap name. I suspect I might well really like Wavves if I listened to them, but they're guilty of the double offence of being landlords and having their name spelt wrong, which puts them over the line for me. Any fucking band who spell the word "The" as "Thee", hate that.
Have to grit my remaining Teeths to find peace with this lot. Wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't been for the berninger mindmeld el vy/oy vey 2015 brainchaos.

It's worth it though :)

There was a good thread on this 13 years ago </pogo>

Some choice reminders in there too including another pet hate band name 'Hoobastank' and 'Does It Offend You, Yeah?'

I know nothing about them

Would a Decent Human Being like them, xenon ? I got given the name by a total fuckwallop :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom