Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

Where have I posted anything supporting the use of farrowing crates, and what leads you to think I'd support them?
Just goes to show that you really haven't been reading my posts at all.
Yes, I don't like farrowing crates- but then you have to accept increased piglet mortality.

So you don't like them, BUT....

Do you like the way plane travel is playing a massive part in destroying the planet?
BUT...
Oh, mini-me has piped up again!

I thought you'd be staying quiet after you made such an utter arse of yourself when you displayed your breath-taking ignorance of chicken factory farming! But now you're here, please tell me what on earth plane travel has to do with the pig cruelty.

Thanks.

Oh, mini-me has piped up again!

I thought you'd be staying quiet after you made such an utter arse of yourself when you displayed your breath-taking ignorance of chicken factory farming! But now you're here, please tell me what on earth plane travel has to do with the pig cruelty.

Thanks.
Would you give over. You're getting your arse handed to hou here. :D
You pretend to care about the environment, yet you don't seem to have a problem travelling by plane. Its almost as if we don't boycott everything we don't like/ agree with.

Would you give over. You're getting your arse handed to hou here. :D
You pretend to care about the environment, yet you don't seem to have a problem travelling by plane. Its almost as if we don't boycott everything we don't like/ agree with.

So all you've got left now is ad hominems and personal attacks. How tiresome. It must be nice to throw around these criticisms while you cower behind your anonymous log in, free to make up any bullshit about your lifestyle choices.

But for the record: I always, always travel by foot/public transport/train wherever and whenever possible. I don't drive. I don't own a car. Never have. But for some journeys there is absolutely no practical alternative and I end up having to take a plane. Reluctantly. And even then over my lifetime I've taken far less planes than most people here.

But here's the huge difference you're too stupid to work out (seeing as you're bringing it up in this thread). There are plenty of practical alternatives to supporting a cruel and environmental destructive choice of diet, and that's why I've been arguing that people should reduce their meat consumption dramatically. It's easy to do, much of the non-meat alternatives taste equally as good - some may say better - and they cost no more.

But all you care about is being able to shovel your face full of more and more meat while talking utter bollocks about how it's not that bad after all, despite an onslaught of hard science.

So all you've got left now is ad hominems and personal attacks. How tiresome. It must be nice to throw around these criticisms while you cower behind your anonymous log in, free to make up any bullshit about your lifestyle choices.

But for the record: I always, always travel by foot/public transport/train wherever and whenever possible. I don't drive. I don't own a car. Never have. But for some journeys there is absolutely no practical alternative and I end up having to take a plane. Reluctantly. And even then over my lifetime I've taken far less planes than most people here.

But here's the huge difference you're too stupid to work out (seeing as you're bringing it up in this thread). There are plenty of practical alternatives to supporting a cruel and environmental destructive choice of diet, and that's why I've been arguing that people should reduce their meat consumption dramatically. It's easy to do, much of the non-meat alternatives taste equally as good - some may say better - and they cost no more.

But all you care about is being able to shovel your face full of more and more meat while talking utter bollocks about how it's not that bad after all, despite an onslaught of hard science.
Cowering? 🤣
So I guess there was also no alternative but to buy a Huawei phone? I mean surely there were phones that didn't involve so much human suffering? But I bet you enjoy its camera.
Its almost as if people choose what they want to do, regardless of consequences, but most of us don't tell others what they should be doing.
Just face it, you're a bigger hypocrite than probably any meat eater.

No matter how many times we all agree that factory farming is shit, we still get bombarded with "But factory farming is shit"
Yes, we know it is, we keep telling you, but you keep reverting to the same finger wagging and pointing, like it's going to make any difference.

Cowering? 🤣
So I guess there was also no alternative but to buy a Huawei phone? I mean surely there were phones that didn't involve so much human suffering? But I bet you enjoy its camera.
Its almost as if people choose what they want to do, regardless of consequences, but most of us don't tell others what they should be doing.
Just face it, you're a bigger hypocrite than probably any meat eater.
Oh, so now you've moved to to a phone I bought years ago? Marvellous stuff! It'd almost like you've completely run out of arguments relating to this discussion and so all you're left with is increasingly random and desperate random ad hominems.

FYI, I won't be buying a Huawei phone again but if you think your phone is magically exploitation free you're living in a fucking bubble stuffed full of hypocrisy juice.

Oh, so now you've moved to to a phone I bought years ago? Marvellous stuff! It'd almost like you've completely run out of arguments relating to this discussion and so all you're left with is increasingly random and desperate random ad hominems.

FYI, I won't be buying a Huawei phone again but if you think your phone is magically exploitation free you're living in a fucking bubble stuffed full of hypocrisy juice.
You ignore any argument relating to this discussion, and yeah, the phone was a bit of a low blow at low hanging fruit, but you're not trying to advance the discussion, you just seem to want to point the finger at anyone who eats meat, but if you do want to get back on topic... Given that we all agree that factory farming is shit, can we move on and actively avoid posting anything more about factory farming? Because otherwise it seems like you only want to point fingers.

The thread was supposedly about the assertion that cutting out meat was the "single biggest way" you could mitigate your environmental footprint.

Its been dragged off on all kinds of tangents, and some people seem to have interpreted my posts as "farming should carry in doing exactly the same as its currently doing" which is fucking baffling if you'd actually read them.

You ignore any argument relating to this discussion, and yeah, the phone was a bit of a low blow at low hanging fruit, but you're not trying to advance the discussion, you just seem to want to point the finger at anyone who eats meat, but if you do want to get back on topic... Given that we all agree that factory farming is shit, can we move on and actively avoid posting anything more about factory farming? Because otherwise it seems like you only want to point fingers.

Perhaps you haven't worked out how forums work. Threads have a themed topic. This is about the impact of the meat industry on the environment, not about what phone I'm using or how often I get on a plane.

And factory farms absolutely have a negative impact on the environment, so it's a bit weird for you to start asking that the topic be avoided. They're intertwined with the discussion and part of the problem.

Its funny, a while back, I posted an article published by a member on the BVAs (British Veterinarians Association) website, and I did briefly wonder if the opinion of the BVA wasn't quite academic enough.

I needn't have worried, I should just have googled "meat good" and pasted my first 10 search results, no matter how much they were crackpot opinion pieces, because apparently this is how this works.

And factory farms absolutely have a negative impact on the environment, so it's a bit weird for you to start asking that the topic be avoided. They're intertwined with the discussion and part of the problem.
Yes, we know, we all know, but posting 3000 iterations of the same article isn't going to change a single thing about it, and blaming the consumer for the producers' practices will only serve to alienate those you're allegedly trying to convince to change their habits.

Literally nobody has said that factory farming is good on this thread, which makes it even weirder.
Exactly! Not one post agrees with factory farming. Nobody likes it, apart from the people making big money from it, and, apparently, those who can use it as a stick to beat those who already dislike it. Like you say, it's weird.

As usual littlebabyjesus doesn't know what he's talking about. It is of course 58% of female pigs not 60% of all pigs. Never trust a word he says without checking his facts as he is so very often mistaken
Yes. I should have said sows, not pigs. You wouldn't put pigs other than sows in a farrowing crate. I would have thought that would be obvious.

As usual you are pointlessly nitpicking while taking a swipe. You're a fucking worthless cunt, as usual. The most worthless twat on these boards. And there's a fair bit of competition.

Want to call me 'effete' again as an insult, you wanker?

ETA: I've asked you to leave me alone many times before. I'm asking again. I don't respond to your posts. Please don't respond to mine. Mods, I would like this to be actioned, please. Please put this poster on mutual ignore with me. If you won't do it, please tell me publicly on this thread why you refuse to do it. editor

Last edited:
Yes. I should have said sows, not pigs. You wouldn't put pigs other than sows in a farrowing crate. I would have thought that would be obvious.

As usual you are pointlessly nitpicking while taking a swipe. You're a fucking worthless cunt, as usual. The most worthless twat on these boards. And there's a fair bit of competition.

Want to call me 'effete' again as an insult, you wanker?

ETA: I've asked you to leave me alone many times before. I'm asking again. I don't respond to your posts. Please don't respond to mine. Mods, I would like this to be actioned, please. Please put this poster on mutual ignore with me. If you won't do it, please tell me publicly on this thread why you refuse to do it. editor
It's not obvious. And only an ignorant wanker would claim it was. Perhaps you don't know that the great majority of male chicks are killed shortly after birth. Or that make calves so rarely make it to adulthood. And so with pigs I would not be surprised if many male piglets were killed early in their lives: the population structure is I suspect not geared toward being 50:50 m-f.

It's strange how often people throw out the allegation of nitpicking when they're caught out telling er porkies.

If I'm so fucking worthless you wouldn't be so worked up about me. And I'm sure you've seen editor's posts about the software here now allowing mutual ignore.

Last edited:
Why the fuck would male piglets be killed? It's not as though pigs are bred for milk so the males are useless. They are bred for meat which you can get from both sexes. :facepalm:
i'm simply saying i would not be surprised. you'd have thought being meat would save male calves from an early death but apparently not - see eg The end of dairy’s ‘dirty secret’? Farms have a year to stop killing male calves and Why Do Dairy Farmers Kill Male Calves? - Vet Help Direct. and if you'd bothered putting one iota of effort into your post you'd have learned of the existence of 'boar taint' which emerges around puberty (see eg What is boar taint and how can it be prevented? – RSPCA Knowledgebase) which talks of early slaughter for male pigs in some parts of the world.

i'm simply saying i would not be surprised. you'd have thought being meat would save male calves from an early death but apparently not - see eg The end of dairy’s ‘dirty secret’? Farms have a year to stop killing male calves and Why Do Dairy Farmers Kill Male Calves? - Vet Help Direct. and if you'd bothered putting one iota of effort into your post you'd have learned of the existence of 'boar taint' which emerges around puberty (see eg What is boar taint and how can it be prevented? – RSPCA Knowledgebase) which talks of early slaughter for male pigs in some parts of the world.
And immunocastration so no need for early slaughter.

E2a: if you could be bothered to read all the article you quoted. Selective quoting doesn't prove your point it just makes you look a dick.

E2a: if you could be bothered to read all the article you quoted. Selective quoting doesn't prove your point it just makes you look a dick.
1627377735636.png

happy tuesday

i did read about the immunocastration. but as the focus was on early death that's the bit i focused on. as for quoting, all quotes are by definition selective.

e2a: this 2020 article (Welfare Aspects of Raising Entire Male Pigs and Immunocastrates) reports that 'Early slaughter is the common practice to reduce boar taint in the UK and Ireland' (p. 6/12) so clearly immunocastration hasn't yet allowed boars to live to a ripe auld age or even in so many cases puberty before being killed. maybe spend a couple of minutes researching before making big claims you don't support.

Last edited:
i did read about the immunocastration. but as the focus was on early death that's the bit i focused on. as for quoting, all quotes are by definition selective.

e2a: this 2020 article (Welfare Aspects of Raising Entire Male Pigs and Immunocastrates) reports that 'Early slaughter is the common practice to reduce boar taint in the UK and Ireland' (p. 6/12) so clearly immunocastration hasn't yet allowed boars to live to a ripe auld age or even in so many cases puberty before being killed. maybe spend a couple of minutes researching before making big claims you don't support.

Tbf, it stops them from killing each other.

Its by and large very similar to what I've suggested more than once over several pages
Agreed..
So its a total win for the rich to have their premium organic burgers whilst poor people are forced to be vegetarians?

Doesn't sound cut and dried to me!
Not really.
As Funky_monks has said, prices may not alter.

I recall my mum paying the equivalent of €15 for a chicken when we were kids.
Food was expensive.
Meat was expensive.
So meals were really well thought through and left overs became next day meals.

People have become used to cheap meat and cheap food. At the cost of quality of produce and quality of life of some animals. Not all....because there are organic free range farms.

I think we only had red meat (a roast beef) once in a while when I was growing up. Like once every 3 months on special occasions.
Steak was for a really special meal.
Mostly we had a roast chicken on a Sunday.
Fish on Friday.
Chops midweek.
And alternatives on other days that incolved pies or maybe bangers in mash.

Red meat was definitely a rare option.

I've no real problem returning to a life with less red meat. Just so long as soneone doesn't force me to never ever have it again.

Back
Top Bottom