Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

So if you're going to childishly dismiss all the articles, the videos, all the research and all the journalists as 'veganists' (what?) like some kind of reality denying Trump fan, then it's time for you produce some credible research that categorically proves that the majority of chicken production in the UK doesn't come from factory farms.

So what have you got?
You know that's not how it works. Produce official figures from an official source to back up your claims.
BTW, I'm not saying your numbers are wrong (I don't know) , I'm saying your sources aren't credible.

Last edited:
And just to
You've switched here from 'majority of meat' to 'majority of chicken'. Be honest to acknowledge the change, no?

Also, let's concentration on quality rather than quantity. Something that may be said of our meat consumption, but also applies to your internet searches.

Er, no. You haven't been paying attention.

I have never talked about the 'majority' of meat.' I said the vast majority of chicken comes from intensive farming and supported that with multiple sources. I also stated that a vast amount of meat comes from intensive farming. Go back and check.

But seeing as certain posters keep switching the argument, I'd like to focus on chicken production first.

fwiw I would be amazed if most chicken in the UK doesn't come from factory farms.

However, most beef and lamb doesn't.

Meanwhile, my understanding of pig farming is that it's not entirely clear where the cut-off comes, but I'd be happy to include 'outdoor bred' as factory farmed, in which case that will be a majority as well.

There's lots that needs to change. But all meat isn't the same. Very far from it. And the solutions themselves, in the case of mixed farming methods, can involve meat.

You know that's not how it works. Produce official figures from an official source to back up your claims.
So you really can't find anything? Oh dear.

But let's make it easier for you. Find me a credible source that states categorically that the vast majority of chicken production in the UK doesn't come factory farming.

fwiw I would be amazed if most chicken in the UK doesn't come from factory farms.
Well, yes. But Saul is disputing this and Funky Monks downplaying it, despite neither having any anything to back up their opinions with.

Agreed. But a large amount of beef does come from industrial farms. I've already posted up links and videos.

In the hope that it will finally sink in

The report, titled We Need to Talk About Chicken shows that poultry overtook red meat sales for the first time in 2017 and now accounts for over 50% of meat consumption. In the UK, 850 million chickens are reared for meat, and concerningly, 95% of these are in intensive indoor units, which are associated with poor animal welfare and major environmental impacts.

The report came from this organisation, who are clearly neither 'veganists' (sigh) or Guardian writers.
Better by half:
A roadmap to less and better meat and dairy
The Eating Better alliance is working to stimulate a 50% reduction in meat and dairy consumption in the UK by 2030, and for a transition to ‘better’ meat and dairy as standard.

Meanwhile, my understanding of pig farming is that it's not entirely clear where the cut-off comes, but I'd be happy to include 'outdoor bred' as factory farmed, in which case that will be a majority as well.

There's lots that needs to change. But all meat isn't the same. Very far from it. And the solutions themselves, in the case of mixed farming methods, can involve meat.
40% of UK pork is produced on outdoor systems. Happy to help.

In the hope that it will finally sink in

The report came from this organisation, who are clearly neither 'veganists' (sigh) or Guardian writers.

Nobody has actually said that most broilers aren't produced in intensive systems. Furthermore, Iposted at length about the pig and poultry sectors needed to change in my posts amongst all that obfuscation that you couldn't be arsed to read. Read the posts - you said, amongst the same massive thread spam that the same applies to beef, which is not true.

Well, yes. But Saul is disputing this and Funky Monks downplaying it, despite neither having any anything to back up their opinions with.
Im not disputing it, as I said previously, I'm asking you to back up your claims with evidence from credible sources. It's how these things work. You make a claim and you back it up with actual evidence.

Im not disputing it, as I said previously, I'm asking you to back up your claims with evidence from credible sources. It's how these things work. Byou make a claim and you beck it up with actual evidence.
Hahaha! What a laughable swivel!

But you now admit you were completely wrong and the vast majority of chicken production in the UK is intensively farmed, yes?

Hahaha! What a laughable swivel!

But you now admit you were completely wrong and the vast majority of chicken production in the UK is intensively farmed, yes?
I never disputed it, I simply asked you to use credible sources.
You'll find that I said...
I'd guess that a large percentage of chicken meat comes from large factory farms, but I have no idea of the exact numbers. Would you like to quote them for me?
How is that me denying anything?
You seem to be very good at reading things that were never posted.

This is true, but I can't see any reference to the ongoing work in that 2017 report acknowledgements- quite possibly because, certainly within the research group I'm in, I have no clue of the minutae of what everyone is currently up to.

Weirdly enough, if you disregard the soundbites and read the whole of that 2017 report, there's actually quite a lot of stuff in there that agrees with my opinion posts, but I suspect it has not been read cover to cover.
Not read by anyone on this thread anyway

That's outdoor bred, though, no?

I accept that that is far better than indoor-bred, but for me it's in a bit of a fuzzy area. Certainly not free range, but not completely barbaric either - sows live outdoors, piglets kept with the sows until weaning, then taken indoors to fatten up.

CIWF has some info sheets on this. Basically, RSPCA-assured and outdoor bred, while not free range, is a meaningful difference. 'Red Tractor' essentially just means the farmer didn't break the law. It's pretty worthless.

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/media/5263422/uk-supermarket-policies-pigs-aug-2019.pdf

Regarding price, McDonald's pork is outdoor bred and RSPCA-assured, so it's clearly not prohibitively expensive to rear pigs that way. Certainly be good to get that number up to 100%.

That's outdoor bred, though, no?

I accept that that is far better than indoor-bred, but for me it's in a bit of a fuzzy area. Certainly not free range, but not completely barbaric either - sows live outdoors, piglets kept with the sows until weaning, then taken indoors to fatten up.

CIWF has some info sheets on this. Basically, RSPCA-assured and outdoor bred, while not free range, is a meaningful difference. 'Red Tractor' essentially just means the farmer didn't break the law. It's pretty worthless.

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/media/5263422/uk-supermarket-policies-pigs-aug-2019.pdf

Regarding price, McDonald's pork is outdoor bred and RSPCA-assured, so it's clearly not prohibitively expensive to rear pigs that way.
Its got pluses and minuses - like evything else on here, its complex. Sows outdoors are allowed to farrow pretty "naturally" in bedded arks (usually straw) with access to the outside (usually on split, electric fenced paddocks).
This freedom to exhibit natural behaviour, leads to higher piglet mortality, because sows will squash them from time to time (pigs have big litters, and therefore will invest less per individual than animals with less offspring - humans being the pinnacle of that survival strategy). Intensive units have lower piglet mortality but less freedom for sows.
You are right, weaners are usually fattened indoors- on higher welfare systems on straw.

An old acquaintance has written an interesting book on high-tech moving into livestock farming here: “Blockchain Chicken Farm: And Other Stories of Tech in China’s Countryside” by Xiaowei Wang Seems it's partly an opportunity afforded by low consumer confidence after various scandals but also a government crackdown on conventional pig farming a while back after various swine fever outbreaks and pollution problems (slurry dumping mostly) that hasn't been relaxed AFAIK. As well as catching the worst culprits it did for traditional domestic pig raising across vast swathes of the countryside; it didn't get more short supply chain than that. She was on a podacst at the Guardian (oops!) too talking about it but can't access that here: Behind China’s ‘pork miracle’: how technology is transforming rural hog farming
ETA And I can pay a local gran selling veg off her plot on a tarp at our local market by scanning her QR code on her phone these days.

An old acquaintance has written an interesting book on high-tech moving into livestock farming here: “Blockchain Chicken Farm: And Other Stories of Tech in China’s Countryside” by Xiaowei Wang Seems it's partly an opportunity afforded by low consumer confidence after various scandals but also a government crackdown on conventional pig farming a while back after various swine fever outbreaks and pollution problems (slurry dumping mostly) that hasn't been relaxed AFAIK. As well as catching the worst culprits it did for traditional domestic pig raising across vast swathes of the countryside; it didn't get more short supply chain than that. She was on a podacst at the Guardian (oops!) too talking about it but can't access that here: Behind China’s ‘pork miracle’: how technology is transforming rural hog farming
ETA And I can pay a local gran selling veg off her plot on a tarp at our local market by scanning her QR code on her phone these days.

Interesting piece that, although I predict the veganists won't get past the first paragraph! ;)

In November 2018, I travelled to Guangzhou, a city of about 14 million people in southern China. Late autumn is the time for making lap yuk, a type of preserved pork that is a local speciality, and across town I would often spot slabs of meat hanging from high-rise apartment balconies, tied up with string and swaying next to shirts and sheets left out to dry. To make lap yuk, a piece of raw pork belly is soaked in a blend of rice wine, salt, soy sauce and spices, then hung out to cure in the damp, cold autumn air. The fat becomes translucent and imparts a savoury-sweet taste to any stir-fried vegetable dish.

As in the pigs have the choice of being outside all or most of the time? :hmm: I've pretty much given up piggy products due to the deal they get. The best any supermarket does round here is "outdoor bred", which doesn't offer much better quality of life at all from what I've read.

As in the pigs have the choice of being outside all or most of the time? :hmm: I've pretty much given up piggy products due to the deal they get. The best any supermarket does round here is "outdoor bred", which doesn't offer much better quality of life at all from what I've read.
60% of pigs in the UK are confined in farrowing crates for weeks at a time.

Outdoor bred isn't free range, but if you can get outdoor bred and RSPCA assured, which you should be able to, that does signify a meaningfully better quality of life for the pigs. (Compared to an admittedly very very very low quality.)

Pigs | RSPCA Assured

60% of pigs in the UK are confined in farrowing crates for weeks at a time.

Outdoor bred isn't free range, but if you can get outdoor bred and RSPCA assured, which you should be able to, that does signify a meaningfully better quality of life for the pigs. (Compared to an admittedly very very very low quality.)

Pigs | RSPCA Assured
It's a vile, cruel and hideous practice, particularly given a pig's intelligence and curiosity, yet it's something that some posters here seem reluctant to condemn or criticise.

Do you totally condemn these practices which sees 60% of pigs kept in such dreadful conditions Saul Goodman and Funky_monks ?

It's a vile. cruel and hideous practice, particularly given a pig's intelligence and curiosity, yet it's something that some posters here seem reluctant to condemn or criticise.

Do you totally condemn these practices which sees 60% of pigs kept in such dreadful conditions Saul Goodman and Funky_monks ?
As usual littlebabyjesus doesn't know what he's talking about. It is of course 58% of female pigs not 60% of all pigs. Never trust a word he says without checking his facts as he is so very often mistaken

As usual littlebabyjesus doesn't know what he's talking about. It is of course 58% of female pigs not 60% of all pigs. Never trust a word he says without checking his facts as he is so very often mistaken
It's still a huge amount of pigs being subjected to horrendous cruelty.

It's still a huge amount of pigs being subjected to horrendous cruelty.
Oh yes. But you can't trust littlebabyjesus to give you the facts, he hasn't managed to transfer them from his link to his post. I wouldn't trust his word on what day of the week it is without checking another source.

It's a vile. cruel and hideous practice, particularly given a pig's intelligence and curiosity, yet it's something that some posters here seem reluctant to condemn or criticise.

My grandfather always kept 2 pigs, one outside that had its own inside house, and one in pieces in a barrel of salt. I wish all pigs could be kept this way, but I'm not keeper of the pigs, so I have no say in the matter.

It's a vile, cruel and hideous practice, particularly given a pig's intelligence and curiosity, yet it's something that some posters here seem reluctant to condemn or criticise.

Where have I posted anything supporting the use of farrowing crates, and what leads you to think I'd support them?
Just goes to show that you really haven't been reading my posts at all.
Yes, I don't like farrowing crates- but then you have to accept increased piglet mortality.

Yes, they have an ark that they can move in and out of. You'd put a few planks or similar along the bottom after she's farrowed so the piglets can't until they get older (and don't get chilled as easily), which the sow can step over.

Back
Top Bottom