Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Arise Sir Tony (Blair)

The ruling elites in this society like to reward people who serve them well. Baubles like knighthoods are just one way that happens.

It’s not as if the institution of knighthoodedness has been besmirched by the inclusion of Blair. What the fuck do people think a knighthood is?

I think you misunderstood a couple of my posts which to be fair were more than a little obtuse, but let's take it as read from here that we are on the same page. :thumbs:

edit: To add a little further. I personally know people who have received honours for doing unambiguously Good Things (and a couple of cases where there was a little more ambiguity tbf).
I think everyone here is mature enough to understand how these are harnessed in the service of a halo effect, where at each stage up the food chain the acts (and actors) being rewarded become more and more questionable.

Last edited:

Looking at the comments section main reason people are giving is Iraq. That a war criminal shouldn't get be honoured.

Its up to around 166.000 now in a few days.

Seems fair enough to start a petition to give a chance for people to say what they think of this.

Looking at the comments section main reason people are giving is Iraq. That a war criminal shouldn't get be honoured.

Its up to around 166.000 now in a few days.

Seems fair enough to start a petition to give a chance for people to say what they think of this.
It’s a false premise, though. War criminals do get honoured. I get that people are venting, but they’re misdirecting their energy due to poor political analysis. They seem to think the structure can be made honourable again. It can’t. The structure itself is rancid.

The ruling elites in this society like to reward people who serve them well. Baubles like knighthoods are just one way that happens.

It’s not as if the institution of knighthoodedness has been besmirched by the inclusion of Blair. What the fuck do people think a knighthood is?
Exactly, it's a glorified whitewashing scheme in many ways, used to justify dodgy deals and unpleasant decisions as for the good of the state. Nationalistic class ridden disgrace used to pat the heads of good dogs.

It’s a false premise, though. War criminals do get honoured. I get that people are venting, but they’re misdirecting their energy due to poor political analysis. They seem to think the structure can be made honourable again. It can’t. The structure itself is rancid.

The problem I have with the petition is the beginning bit. Which appears to criticise the constitutional changes. Which I take to be devolution. This part of Blair Time in office I don't have a problem with.

And looking at comments the main reason people signed is Iraq.

Its all very well to tell people they have poor political analysis but Blair is recent history. This is someone who those whose actions directly affected this country. I don't think those who signed can be dismissed as just venting.

Do those who signed petition think the honour system can be made honourable? Looking at comments at least one also says honours system is crap as well. It's realistically going to be a mixture of people.

We are going to have to disagree but petition like this if it gets enough people to sign it sends a message that this honour doesn't have whole hearted public support.

If I got an honour (no chance) I'd want to receive it anonymously. Honournonymous in fact.

Do those who signed petition think the honour system can be made honourable? Looking at comments at least one also says honours system is crap as well. It's realistically going to be a mixture of people.

We are going to have to disagree but petition like this if it gets enough people to sign it sends a message that this honour doesn't have whole hearted public support.
People complaining about a crap implementation of something they already think is crap? That feels a bit pointless tbh.

And send a message to whom? Is that whom listening and do they care..?

People complaining about a crap implementation of something they already think is crap? That feels a bit pointless tbh.

It reminds us all that the political establishment is out of step with the general public on many 'moral' issues. We all know that, but it's good to reminded. A bit of implied criticism of her maj goes down well too.

It reminds us all that the political establishment is out of step with the general public on many 'moral' issues. We all know that, but it's good to reminded. A bit of implied criticism of her maj goes down well too.
What was that quote about the Central committee being to the right of the party and the party being to the right of the people?

It does? How many people are signing this petition? I'm guessing not that large a percentage of the general public.

So do nothing then.

Back
Top Bottom