Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Arise Sir Tony (Blair)

With regards to this, I invite all posters to publicly and unambiguously distance themselves from the Antarctic concentration camp programme being promoted on these forums, to ensure they do not end up on my "deranged and/or dangerous extremists of urban75" list.
It'd be nice if you could offer some opposing arguments to the south atlantic industrial zone project instead of saying oh noes how awful and dragging this beef across threads (19 by my count now). But nary an argument do you present. You're rank and incapable.

teuchter

Whereas, in effect, you are accusing anyone who disagrees with the ruling class ideology, anyone who opposes the wars, mass murders, genocide, State terror and the legally enforced inequality, poverty and enforced scarcity of good old "liberal democratic" values as an extremist.

Surely, terms like extremist have to be based on a sense of what's right and what's wrong rather than it being defined by the rich and powerful? So, any regime that carries out mass bombings which kill thousands of people is extreme; a regime that invades another regime for economic and strategic gain and effectively causes millions more deaths and further destabilisation over a wider region is extreme; a society that is based on wealth inequality and exploitation and that systematically enforces scarcity and poverty is extreme, a government that criminalised rights to protest is extreme...

Or shall we say, fuck humanity, let's just stick the the top dogs' definition?
Your worldview is one where, if the views of the masses don't agree with yours, it must be because they are sheeple shaped and led by the ruling classes, rather than that they just don't agree with you.

That allows you to dismiss and ignore the fact that a large proportion of the UK population, across all social classes, supported the action in Iraq, and allows you to avoid saying that a large proportion of the UK population has a defective sense of right or wrong according to your simplistic approach.

No, terms like extremist can't be based on a sense of "what's right and what's wrong" because no-one will ever agree on what's right or wrong especially on difficult questions like whether to engage in military action against a perceived agressor.

It'd be nice if you could offer some opposing arguments to the south atlantic industrial zone project instead of saying oh noes how awful and dragging this beef across threads (19 by my count now). But nary an argument do you present. You're rank and incapable.
I don't really feel the need to make arguments against your concentration camp fantasies, because few people need to be persuaded. My time is better spent alerting people to the authoritarian extremists in our midst.

No, terms like extremist can't be based on a sense of "what's right and what's wrong" because no-one will ever agree on what's right or wrong especially on difficult questions like whether to engage in military action against a perceived agressor.

Arguing over who is and isn't "extremist" is a meaningless game. "Extremist" is just a standard part of the news media meta language that tells us who are goodies and who are baddies. "Extremists" are baddies, it's got nothing to do with what they actually believe, the extent to which they believe it or what they would do to bring about their beliefs, there's no actual measuring of a real thing going on.

See also "moderate" (= goody), "reform" (=destroy), "reformer" (neoliberal), "hardliner" (baddy, obviously), "pragmatic" (=corrupt) "hard left" vs "centre left", etc etc.

I don't really feel the need to make arguments against your concentration camp fantasies, because few people need to be persuaded. My time is better spent alerting people to the authoritarian extremists in our midst.
You introduced this cross-thread beef to this thread. You say Tony Blair is no extremistyet he presided over the very real rendition of people using British bases to countries that very really tortured them. Under his administration MI6 were present when people were tortured. I don't know what happened to your moral compass to bring you to this point where you defend a war criminal as not extreme. Before your next post you might like to think carefully: you seem to think real life concentration camps in which Tony Blair was complicit (Guantanamo, the CIA black prisons, not to mention the immigration detention centres in this country) are unimportant and unextreme while my notion of the siaz is somehow worse than these real life abominations. You should take a long hard look at yourself but your moral myopia is well known

Your worldview is one where, if the views of the masses don't agree with yours, it must be because they are sheeple shaped and led by the ruling classes, rather than that they just don't agree with you.
No it isn't. Nowhere have I argued that and your bad faith posting style strikes again. In fact I don't believe that at all. The notion that the ideas of the ruling class effectively becomes the dominant ideology throughout society (ideological or cultural hegemony) is fairly well established. No one is calling the wider population "sheeple" for we are all products of our environment, family, education system, custom and general social behaviour, the influence of mass and (now) social media, laws, rules and regulations... and that includes, in varying degrees, those who oppose the current status quo. However, some people come into conflict with the system. Maybe this conflict happens at work, at school, been subjected to stop-and-search once too often, or are trying to live a life that's fairly humane and some of the mainstream stuff seems just a little inhumane... or maybe they happened to read something a little more challenging than the usual bigoted brain rot from the Daily Mail or the Sun and instead, now want more than just bigger cages and longer chains.
That allows you to dismiss and ignore the fact that a large proportion of the UK population, across all social classes, supported the action in Iraq, and allows you to avoid saying that a large proportion of the UK population has a defective sense of right or wrong according to your simplistic approach.
I don't think a particularly large proportion did support the invasion of Iraq. The fact that I think that a high proportion of the population did not agree with it shows that millions of people had a much better grasp of what is humane, ethical and could distinguish right from wrong than their political leaders have - that's in spite of the ideological hegemony of ruling class ideas (see above link). So again, absolutely not "sheeple". Though yes, admittedly the vast majority did not actively oppose it but that's a whole different kettle of fish.
Yet apparently, basing it on the opinions of political leaders like Tony Blair and GW Bush is okay? Because that's where your line of argument ends up: the leader is right, might makes right.

the fact that a large proportion of the UK population, across all social classes, supported the action in Iraq

Is that a fact?

Even if it is, what proportion of that "large proportion" supported the action in Iraq based upon information that has since been shown to be false?

Do you not think that the misinformation, propaganda and outright lies peddled by the ruling class has a direct bearing on the views and opinions of a "large proportion" of the UK population (a large proportion of whom are not very well educated - because it suits the ruling class for them to not be)?

teuchter many people marched against the war. Once the invasion started, however, opposition was minimal. Therefore, by your relativist definition, the majority non-extremists did not oppose the war and its consequences.
Hardly anyone marched in favour of the 2nd Iraq war. Just a handful of tiny 'patriotic' demonstrations. Once the war started, and it was over pretty quickly, there was an initial widespread feeling of 'let's support our boys'. Even then anti war protests continued at a local level. Then the majority anti war feeling reasserted itself and became dominant. Only a minority of extremists would now justify that war

Hardly anyone marched in favour of the 2nd Iraq war. Just a handful of tiny 'patriotic' demonstrations. Once the war started, and it was over pretty quickly, there was an initial widespread feeling of 'let's support our boys'. Even then anti war protests continued at a local level. Then the majority anti war feeling reasserted itself and became dominant. Only a minority of extremists would now justify that war
And it rapidly became clear that lies were needed to justify the going to war. Colin Powell fed lies to the United Nations which he said he didn't know were lies at the time. MPs were lied to. It beggars belief that anyone would try going down the path teuchter's gong along.

Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 10.12.23.jpg

Even in 2015, a quarter of the population still thought that the action was "right" (rather than "don't know" or "wrong").

It wasn't an extremist viewpoint, even with the benefit of hindsight.

So in your view notions held by a quarter of the population can't be extremist because they are held by a quarter of the population.
Correct.

If half the population hold one view, and of the remainder, half positively disagree and the rest aren't sure, then I don't see the disagree-ers as extremists.

This has nothing to do with my opinions on whatever view is being examined, although of course everyone is trying to make it so. I am simply interested in adopting a useful definition of "extremist" rather than a silly one.

Correct.

If half the population hold one view, and of the remainder, half positively disagree and the rest aren't sure, then I don't see the disagree-ers as extremists.

This has nothing to do with my opinions on whatever view is being examined, although of course everyone is trying to make it so. I am simply interested in adopting a useful definition of "extremist" rather than a silly one.
You're not very interested in it or you'd not be so silly. You're measuring extremism against the wrong point, which is measure of support, rather than - as has been suggested - what's right. You wouldn't say republicans in the United States were extreme on the basis of their electoral support despite the fact their current views make George w bush look a positive moderate. You wouldn't say Hitler was an extremist in 1932 when he received 37% of the vote in that years presidential election. There are so many examples of obvious flaws with your view it is perverse of you to continue to advance it. If it is your actual objective to adopt a useful definition that is.

For example, many people on this forum propose to remedy the situation by sending politicians, the royal family and various other people off to a concentration camp in the Antarctic.

I would call that an extremist view because most people in the UK don't think concentration camps are ok (and neither do I).
Nobody with any sense of right and wrong would back concentration camps for them, it’s a ridiculous idea and a vast waste of resources.

A guillotine would be far cheaper and have considerably less impact on the environment.

You're measuring extremism against the wrong point, which is measure of support, rather than - as has been suggested - what's right.
I'm measuring it against prevailing views on the relevant question in the relevant context.

Calling Tony Blair an extremist, in the context of the UK in 2021, is silly because there is a substantial portion of the UK population whose general views are not massively out of line with his. Even if you want to focus on one issue, the Iraq war, there is still a large enough portion of the population (even if not a majority) who think he made the right decisions, that his approach cannot be seen as extremist.

Of course, if you want to define extremist as "out of line with what I think is right" then I can't stop you. But why not just use the word "wrong" or "bad"? Because you want to hijack the word "extremist" for rhetorical effect.

I'm measuring it against prevailing views on the relevant question in the relevant context.

Calling Tony Blair an extremist, in the context of the UK in 2021, is silly because there is a substantial portion of the UK population whose general views are not massively out of line with his. Even if you want to focus on one issue, the Iraq war, there is still a large enough portion of the population (even if not a majority) who think he made the right decisions, that his approach cannot be seen as extremist.

Of course, if you want to define extremist as "out of line with what I think is right" then I can't stop you. But why not just use the word "wrong" or "bad"? Because you want to hijack the word "extremist" for rhetorical effect.
How small would a substantial part be before it became insubstantial for your definition? Because if you're using an actual definition that'd be an important part of it. 1/5? 1/10? 1/20?

It's not silly, it just shows there's a lot of extremists about. You're defining extremism as merely a numbers game. But as danny la rouge pointed out, the large numbers of Trumpists in the US, who hold some frankly bizarre views, could not be classed as extremists by your definition because there's quite a lot of them.

You're not really offering a reasonable argument, are you.

It's not silly, it just shows there's a lot of extremists about. You're defining extremism as merely a numbers game. But as danny la rouge pointed out, the large numbers of Trumpists in the US, who hold some frankly bizarre views, could not be classed as extremists by your definition because there's quite a lot of them.

You're not really offering a reasonable argument, are you.
I mean, I'm not sure I'd have used the term "extremist" myself. It's a bit too vague to use in pretty much every circumstance, not just of Blair. However, when the debate arose here, I could immediately see which side I fell on.

I'd rather we weren't focused on the use of a word I probably wouldn't have used in the first place. It's a bit of a pointless siding.

I mean, I'm not sure I'd have used the term "extremist" myself. It's a bit too vague to use in pretty much every circumstance, not just of Blair. However, when the debate arose here, I could immediately see which side I fell on.

I'd rather we weren't focused on the use of a word I probably wouldn't have used in the first place. It's a bit of a pointless siding.
I think most people would say if you need to tell lies like the 45 minute bit and the dodgy dossier then your case for going to war is on thin ice. And 15 years after he left office having more than half a million people opposing his knighthood indicates that his record sits ill with very many people

How small would a substantial part be before it became insubstantial for your definition? Because if you're using an actual definition that'd be an important part of it. 1/5? 1/10? 1/20?
Dunno. It can't be precisely determined. If a view is held by 1 in a thousand of a group, then I'd say it is probably reasonable to call it and extremist view, in the context of that group. If it's 1in 100 then maybe. If it's 1 in 4 then it's silly.

Of course a sensible definition would also be determined by how far away the view is from the majority view. If most people think that a parking fine somewhere should be £50, and one in a thousand people think it should be £55 then I wouldn't call those people extremists. If one in a thousand people thought that the parking fine should be £5,000,000 then it would be fair enough to call them extremists.

This is relevant to the silliness of claiming that Tony Blair is an extremist - because of the people who (now) think that he made the wrong decision, there will be a proportion who have some sympathy with why he made it, or can imagine themselves having made it, and maybe even understand why Tony Blair would still feel like he made what appeared to be the right decision at the time.

How "wrong" does someone have to be to satisfy your definition of "extremist"? Please enumerate your answer precisely.

Anything that makes the labour party look stupid is good news for the largely tory ruling classes. There's a long history of dirty tricks and who knows if this is another one of those or not

Dunno. It can't be precisely determined. If a view is held by 1 in a thousand of a group, then I'd say it is probably reasonable to call it and extremist view, in the context of that group. If it's 1in 100 then maybe. If it's 1 in 4 then it's silly.

Of course a sensible definition would also be determined by how far away the view is from the majority view. If most people think that a parking fine somewhere should be £50, and one in a thousand people think it should be £55 then I wouldn't call those people extremists. If one in a thousand people thought that the parking fine should be £5,000,000 then it would be fair enough to call them extremists.

This is relevant to the silliness of claiming that Tony Blair is an extremist - because of the people who (now) think that he made the wrong decision, there will be a proportion who have some sympathy with why he made it, or can imagine themselves having made it, and maybe even understand why Tony Blair would still feel like he made what appeared to be the right decision at the time.

How "wrong" does someone have to be to satisfy your definition of "extremist"? Please enumerate your answer precisely.
1. very

There are two levels of morality at work here. Us little people have a morality where murder, rape, torture, bribery, corruption, terrorism, violence, slavery etc are considered pretty bad, with or without minor quibbles here and there. The people at the top, by and large, can get away with all that behaviour or ordering that behaviour. Occasionally they get brought to book, but historically only very rarely. Speaking as a little person I have no respect for the morality of those at the top. I think it's shite. And a bit too extreme.

There are two levels of morality at work here. Us little people have a morality where murder, rape, torture, bribery, corruption, terrorism, violence, slavery etc are considered pretty bad, with or without minor quibbles here and there. The people at the top, by and large, can get away with all that behaviour or ordering that behaviour. Occasionally they get brought to book, but historically only very rarely. Speaking as a little person I have no respect for the morality of those at the top. I think it's shite. And a bit too extreme.
You sir, are an extremist! :hmm:

Hmmmm.

Perhaps alert yourself to being an apologist for extremism. At the very least - an apologist for the extremism that the likes of Blair fostered.

Back
Top Bottom