Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Antibacterial soaps banned in the US: “No scientific evidence” they’re safe, says FDA

editor

hiraethified
So there you have it. A right waste of money.

In a final ruling announced Friday, the Food and Drug Administration is pulling from the market a wide range of antimicrobial soaps after manufacturers failed to show that the soaps are both safe and more effective than plain soap.

The federal flushing applies to any hand soap or antiseptic wash product that has one or more of 19 specific chemicals in them, including the common triclosan (found in antibacterial hand soap) and triclocarbon (found in bar soaps). Manufacturers will have one year to either reformulate their products or pull them from the market entirely.

As Ars has reported previously, scientists have found that triclosan and other antimicrobial soaps have little benefit to consumers and may actually pose risks. These include bolstering antibiotic resistant microbes, giving opportunistic pathogens a leg up, and disrupting microbiomes. In its final ruling, issued Friday, the FDA seemed to agree.

“Consumers may think antibacterial washes are more effective at preventing the spread of germs, but we have no scientific evidence that they are any better than plain soap and water,” Janet Woodcock, director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), said in a statement. “In fact, some data suggests that antibacterial ingredients may do more harm than good over the long-term.”
FDA bans antibacterial soaps; “No scientific evidence” they’re safe, effective

Isn't all soap antibacterial? :confused:

Genuinely not sure what kind of soap they're talking about.
Presumably the brands that prominently use the word on their branding/ put the emphasis on killing 99.99% of all germs and suchlike.

The lowest of the low for me was seeing an ad on TV for a motion-activated soap dispenser for the home "because you never know what germs might lurk on an ordinary dispenser's handle". Apart from the absolute overkill of the thing, I wonder how the manufactures proposed one gets out of the bathroom without touching towels or door knobs, which must be teeming with similar amounts of seemly lethal germs.

Presumably the brands that prominently use the word on their branding/ put the emphasis on killing 99.99% of all germs and suchlike.

The lowest of the low for me was seeing an ad on TV for a motion-activated soap dispenser for the home "because you never know what germs might lurk on an ordinary dispenser's handle". Apart from the absolute overkill of the thing, I wonder how the manufactures proposed one gets out of the bathroom without touching towels or door knobs, which must be teeming with similar amounts of seemly lethal germs.
I was similarly infuriated by that ad. I had to go for a lie down after seeing it.

ETA the product also misses the massive point that the reason you are pressing the germ ridden soap dispenser in the first place is because you are going to WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS. Presumably with anti-bacterial soap.

Aaaaargh

Last edited:
Its the chemicals which end up in sewers you really dont want low levels of anti bacteral products in a sewer which is a breeding ground for germs :facepalm:

It also helps if you wash your hands properly ... not just the quick rinse !

I quite like the sensor operated loo flush, taps, soap dispensers and blast driers that are now to be found in some places. (apart from the drier's noise).

The hand drier at my workplace has got a dodgy sensor. That means that unless you are holding your hands exactly one centimetre or less from the damn thing, it will prematurely stop working. The annoying thing is, there's a sign encouraging one to use the drier instead of the paper towels. Fix the damn drier first! :mad:

How do they compare to the standard driers?

It says in that article

Using a jet air dryer dispersed 1,300 times more viruses than just drying with paper towels, and the jet dyer spread 60 times more than your average box-like air dryers. Even more surprising, 70% of the viruses spread by jet dryers landed at the height of a child's face.

Most of the viral material spread by the jet air dryer settled about 0.25 meters away, but even at three meters, the jet dryer spread 500 times more viruses than the warm air dryer. Unsurprisingly, drying your hands with a paper towel spreads zero viruses at the three-meter mark.

Fifteen minutes after using the jet air dryer, there were 50 times more remaining viruses in the air than after using a warm air dryer and 100 times more than 15 minutes after using paper towels.

I'm not necessarily saying jet dryers are bad, but I'm not entirely convinced every time we go into a public bathroom and the kids are right at face height of the dryers that they are 100% safe wrt spreading bacteria.

have any urbanites put their willy in a dyson airblade? I heard it was a remarkable experience.

Don't see how that's possible without a chair or something. I'm a tall bugger and yet the ones I've come across seem to be mounted too high to do that without assistance.

I was similarly infuriated by that ad. I had to go for a lie down after seeing it.

ETA the product also misses the massive point that the reason you are pressing the germ ridden soap dispenser in the first place is because you are going to WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS. Presumably with anti-bacterial soap.

Aaaaargh

this has made me smack my head against the wall too.

How do they compare to not washing your hands at all? I for one do not hold my spare hand in my stream nor am I tempted to dip my fingers in the urinal and have a lovely splish-splash in the yellowing water, stray pubes and toilet polos. I think I'm alright.

I really hate the Deb faux-lavender germicidal hand wash foam at work, but my diet and bowel movements have changed so I often have to use the loo at work and I find it useful for cleaning the seat...

Back
Top Bottom