Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Another firestick deal.

I'd forgotten how irritating streaming/downloading can be, files named completely wrong, endings chopped off, low quality copies, and last night having made it through a whole series to find that the last episode just isn't there anywhere to be found. Still, it's free sort of. Going to have to rent that last episode
None of this should happen. If set-up well, your experience should be pretty much as stable as Amazon Prime or Netflix.

What are you using to stream?

I've chickened out a bit on the whole Internet streaming thing, but am very happy with the Firestick's streaming of stuff on my server, over wifi. As it is, there's probably 10 years' worth of "films I really must watch some time" on there... :)

Media Lounge is quite good on the Firestick , torrent based TV series and films. Need to download unlinked ( via downloader app) and enter the code 12341234 to get that and a whole range of other apps

I realised earlier this week that my current F/S actually isn't the 4k one that you lot have all bought recently, but the 2020 version here.

I've upgraded to 4k with a Black Friday deal for £24.99, so my old stick is going spare. It's side-loaded with an up-to-date (October) Kodi build, and Cinema HD, and is only about a year old, so should be plug-and-play.

I'm putting it on the recycle thread too, but if anyone wants it just PM me. I'll post it on Monday.

I bought the posh one for £36 with newfangled 'Wifi 6' whatever the fuck that is. Works though, even though my bedroom is a bit of a wifi blackhole. Only need it to create, err, backup copies from streaming services :hmm:

I bought the posh one for £36 with newfangled 'Wifi 6' whatever the fuck that is. Works though, even though my bedroom is a bit of a wifi blackhole. Only need it to create, err, backup copies from streaming services :hmm:

It's the latest WiFi standard and useless unless your router supports it. :)

Are there any expats here who've vpn'd successfully to beeb iPlayer? Have bought ipvanish but no dice. Apparently they are quite aggressive on their blacklisting of VPN providers

Are there any expats here who've vpn'd successfully to beeb iPlayer? Have bought ipvanish but no dice. Apparently they are quite aggressive on their blacklisting of VPN providers
Very difficult in my experience, a VPN that works one time often doesn't work the next. One of the problems is that often the VPN supplier doesn't change the proxy UK address frequently hence getting caught out and as you say a lot of dosh is invested in stopping vpns , mainly due to copyright/licensing agreements.

Ironsocket might be worth a try as at least you can contact them and they are good at responding, not used them for Player but for Dazn and some other football providers they've been very obliging in trying to fix the issue.

I do it from sweden using a U.K. bought fire stick, but not with vpn. I use smartdnsproxy (.com) who you sign up to, then put their dns servers in the IP settings of the firestick and I never have trouble accessing iplayer, All4, ITV hub, etc.

Their setup tutorial will tell you their DNS setup needs to go on your router, so effectively all your traffic DNS requests goes via them. I haven’t done that, just added them to the firetv stick itself and it still works.

If you’re interested in signing up to them, let me know and I’ll see if they let me give you an intro code for a discount or somesuch. Or if it’s not time critical to you, maybe wait and see if they have a New Year’s sale on subscriptions. I know they were doing some discounts around Black Friday

Not another deal sorry, but asking here because a few people on this thread know this stuff; Is there a decent radio app?

This is a bit of a rambling and vague query but I've been happily using an various devices over the years (Laptops with HDMI cable, Apple TV 2/3/4, Firestick, PS3/4, etc) to send content (from torrents/Netflix/iPlayer/IPTV/Prime/other) from my laptop or phone to the TV screen quite happily but have been roped into trying to get a mates ancient Nokia Android phone to cast YouTube and other web videos and music to their "dumb" TV and can't decide the best way of doing it.

I've got a spare old Apple TV3 or a Raspberry Pi 3B box (currently with LibreElec + Kodi) to give them to help but not sure what will be the best option as I don't have an Android device to test with and don't want to turn up there and have to do a load of testing and troubleshooting.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Your question may have already been solved- but just to add I've got onto iplayer & Sky Sports using Surfshark. I'm currently in Greece.

This is a bit of a rambling and vague query but I've been happily using an various devices over the years (Laptops with HDMI cable, Apple TV 2/3/4, Firestick, PS3/4, etc) to send content (from torrents/Netflix/iPlayer/IPTV/Prime/other) from my laptop or phone to the TV screen quite happily but have been roped into trying to get a mates ancient Nokia Android phone to cast YouTube and other web videos and music to their "dumb" TV and can't decide the best way of doing it.

I've got a spare old Apple TV3 or a Raspberry Pi 3B box (currently with LibreElec + Kodi) to give them to help but not sure what will be the best option as I don't have an Android device to test with and don't want to turn up there and have to do a load of testing and troubleshooting.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Honestly just get a firestick and remove the Nokia from the equation.

Honestly just get a firestick and remove the Nokia from the equation.
Totally agree and I would recommend that but they are super skint and I'm just trying to get something working for them today with the hardware I have on hand - I don't mind doing all the fiddly techie bits for them to set it up I just don't know what software works best to mimic a chromecast/firestick that I can install on the Raspberry Pi - there seem to be several different ways of doing it.

Totally agree and I would recommend that but they are super skint and I'm just trying to get something working for them today with the hardware I have on hand - I don't mind doing all the fiddly techie bits for them to set it up I just don't know what software works best to mimic a chromecast/firestick that I can install on the Raspberry Pi - there seem to be several different ways of doing it.
How do you value your time? A Firestick is 30 quid. Buy them one and save yourself several hours faffing :thumbs:

Your question may have already been solved- but just to add I've got onto iplayer & Sky Sports using Surfshark. I'm currently in Greece.
I've found VPN addresses inexplicably sometimes work on my PC for player but not on the apps on a firestick or android tv.

Completely different news I got a months subscription to Setanta Khazistan/Ukraine , all EPL, La Ligue, Bundesleague , Serie A games live with that works with a VPN for less than £3 a month

Back
Top Bottom