Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Another firestick deal.

How do you value your time? A Firestick is 30 quid. Buy them one and save yourself several hours faffing :thumbs:
But I am a bit of a geek and like fiddling around with the Raspberry Pi in my spare time so it's all good :)

Have changed my approach though and just installed some add-ons to Kodi that achieve what I need without involving streaming from the phone - per the advice from UnderAnOpenSky and it working now.

But I am a bit of a geek and like fiddling around with the Raspberry Pi in my spare time so it's all good :)

Have changed my approach though and just installed some add-ons to Kodi that achieve what I need without involving streaming from the phone - per the advice from UnderAnOpenSky and it working now.

Well you can't beat free.

That said I was blown away at how good the firestick is, not just for Amazon stuff. It's way better at doing Plex then my PS4. Worth waiting for a sale though. They come down loads.

Last edited:
Well you can't beat free.

That said I was blown away at how good the firestick is, not just for Amazon stuff. It's way better at doing Plex then my PS4. Worth waiting for a sale though. They come down loads.
I've got one! (And a Chromecast and an ATV4) - The firestick is easily the best bang for the buck :oldthumbsup:

This Kodi install with Plex and other helper apps is pretty cool too but definitely not plug n play

Can anyone advise a completely useless non geek type (me) how to get fixed up with a firestick to get sky disney films etc. There is a local geezah selling his services for £100 per year but your own firestick is necessary, so about £150 - seems a lot if i could do it mysen. Also i dont want any alexa shit - can i use my lappo to control stuff? ps, im wanting to use it on my tele not on the laptop.

Last edited:
Can anyone advise a completely useless non geek type (me) how to get fixed up with a firestick to get sky disney films etc. There is a local geezah selling his services for £100 per year but your own firestick is necessary, so about £150 - seems a lot if i could do it mysen. Also i dont want any alexa shit - can i use my lappo to control stuff? ps, im wanting to use it on my tele not on the laptop.

Right. Two different things.

What he's selling is called IPTY, there's loads of them, obviously not legit. He's probably making a nice markup on the services. You can use many different devices to watch it on, including your laptop.

Where the firestick shines is it's small and really good value (especially in a sale) as they want to make money of you with other Amazon services. You can use it watch IPTV, which is why they are popular for this sort of thing. You do need to do a little messing around to get the app on there, but I don't remember it being hard. You don't need to use the alexa stuff. It comes with a remote control.

So step one is to purchase a amazon firestick? which one is best?

Last edited:
So step one is to purchase a amazon firestick? which one is best?

I was actually saying you could try it without buying a dedicated device. I'd say step 1 is finding out which IPTV service to subscribe to. I tried one years and years ago, which seemed ok, but I'm not into sport and it turns out not that into watching TV, so not the best person to ask on that.

It's not the "best" but but the Firestick 4k is a good step up from the basic one, so I think it represents best value. Even if you don't need 4k it's got a more powerful chip in it.

I was actually saying you could try it without buying a dedicated device. I'd say step 1 is finding out which IPTV service to subscribe to. I tried one years and years ago, which seemed ok, but I'm not into sport and it turns out not that into watching TV, so not the best person to ask on that.

It's not the "best" but but the Firestick 4k is a good step up from the basic one, so I think it represents best value. Even if you don't need 4k it's got a more powerful chip in it.

Your link is for the Firestick Lite, the 4K has had an upgrade and is available in a couple of weeks.

So I ended up buying that telly I mentioned on another thread and the Samsung native Plex app is absolute dogshit. Looks like I'll have to buy another Firestick.

That's a shame. The one on the LG is good enough I've not needed to bother connecting mine. I'm sure at some point the smart gubbins will seem to outdated and I'll have to get another box, but it's fine for now.

Back
Top Bottom