Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anarchists sabotage railway signalling in Bristol

although I do know a few people down that way, should visit one day really

Pretty much defines a backwater. Keep meaning to visit but not enough reasons to do so. I can't imagine the Bristol point adjusters were out of towners aiming for max impact.

Pretty much defines a backwater. Keep meaning to visit but not enough reasons to do so. I can't imagine the Bristol point adjusters were out of towners aiming for max impact.

I keep saying that about Rome.

...and end up popping over to Bristol instead.

'Mark Stewart
The Pop Group'
Best album title ever, 'As The Veneer Of Democracy Begins To Fade' and now so topical and prescient..

wrt bristol i can see how the people who live there have an inflated sense of their own importance - it all started when they got a harvey nichols imo

Don't forget Samantha Cameron, who as a student did her 'phase' hanging around rough triphop scenes, etc..
Plenty of wannabee Sam Cams.

The one notable park is called the Downs - a windswept dog shit land perched over mud banks.

Plenty of sub-prime office space where numerous no fees accident claim solicitors were based. A few closed down insurance offices.

Hardly the pulse of the West.

Plenty of wannabee Sam Cams.

The one notable park is called the Downs - a windswept dog shit land perched over mud banks.

Plenty of sub-prime office space where numerous no fees accident claim solicitors were based. A few closed down insurance offices.

Hardly the pulse of the West.
Have you really ever been to bristol

well, i always support strikes even if the issue doesn't affect me so i'll stick my head above the parapet and say fair play to them, though i'm not really sure about their political analysis. hit something jolly next time, give us all a laugh.

well, i always support strikes even if the issue doesn't affect me so i'll stick my head above the parapet and say fair play to them, though i'm not really sure about their political analysis. hit something jolly next time, give us all a laugh.

Seems like a bit of a daft line to take to me - would you have supported the 2002 PDVSA strikes in Venezuela for example?

Especially daft as it's likely to have caused ordinary people a lot more hassle than it did... well... whoever the target was supposed to be. Given the shit politics of those involved it may well have been "normals" - after all we're probably all sheep as far as they're concerned.

cultcha:
or_1c79e80f125121174915836.jpg

subba:
spex-mark-e-smith-001.jpg

Anyway, back to the original point- it is pretty much universally accepted that Bristol is a backwater- although there was apparently a flurry of some performers around 15 years ago.

After becoming the stomping ground for highly educated but pretty thick peeps ala Sam Cam to shoot the pool in Montpellier and providing a river of jobs for said oxbridge / city job rejects in third rate financial / legal services the city was one of the first to be hit by the incoming recession.

No wonder the first riots of 2011 were in Stokes Croft as the people heroically stood against an incoming Tesco. Various Bristles became most concerned however as outsiders from another part of town became involved in "their" protest.

But many were proud. They had kicked it off from Bristle. No longer was Bristle just a place off the road on the road to Wales. The first city before Scrumpy. Bristle was the spark. People came from Bristle to London and recounted how it was all kicking off, and people gave a big cheer.

Roll forward to 2012 and sporadic point damage occurs on the train lines. Is this part of the same process? Are these revolutionaries dis-connected from the minor Bristol scene? Have they got images of their action spreading down the line? Of an heroic alliance between metal thieves and revolutionaries? One point at a time.

Back
Top Bottom