Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

America going soft on capital punishment

If the massive prison corporations can make more money out of keeping people incarcerated for life I can see them joining the fight. It's probably the only way it'll happen.

Support might be dropping in some places but I think it'll be another generation or more before they even try to abolish the death penalty in states like Texas - if the Supreme Court outlawed it tomorrow there'd be some serious talk of secession.

the whole things weird at least the British long drop was quick when done by a somebody who knew what they were doing.
trying to make the whole thing civilised misses the point your murdering someone in cold blood.
some people do deserve it not sure the state should be encouraging the worst in us.

The whole thing about lethal injections being witnessed via a glass window by the victim’s family weirds me out.
The 8th amendment prohibits the US government from administering "cruel and unusual punishment" to its victims servants people.
Surely execution is a pretty fucking "cruel and unusual punishment"? I know the fucking innocents on death row would agree with me!

My state almost managed it. The legislature voted to end it, citing the huge costs and inefficiency of the system. But, our billionaire governor decided to fund a campaign to put it on a public ballot. The cities voted to end it, the rural parts voted to keep it. Unfortunately, there's still a vast rural area and very little city.

Last edited:
It's fucking great, innit. How the second amendment rights of Americans are sacrosanct, yet the 8th amendment is glossed over, like it's a boil on America's arse!
So the right to own a gun is more important than the right to fucking live?!?!?
I'm sorry if this offends any of our cross-Atlantic cousins, but FFS. Sort your priorities out!

The whole thing about lethal injections being witnessed via a glass window by the victim’s family weirds me out.

I have often stated that if a state is to have capital punishment it must be done publicly and the people in whose name it is done compelled to watch and participate.

The faux medical nature of lethal injection shows the squeamishness of the states that do it, China has now gone that way as well as the US. In Iran it is public and afaik has majority public support, the victim’s family can participate, see the killing of Shahla Jahed for example, crying and begging for her life as the victim’s family kicked away the stool to let her be strangled to death. Sick as fuck, but a tad more honest than sanitised version that happens with lethal injection.

I have often stated that if a state is to have capital punishment it must be done publicly and the people in whose name it is done compelled to watch and participate.

The faux medical nature of lethal injection shows the squeamishness of the states that do it, China has now gone that way as well as the US. In Iran it is public and afaik has majority public support, the victim’s family can participate, see the killing of Shahla Jahed for example, crying and begging for her life as the victim’s family kicked away the stool to let her be strangled to death. Sick as fuck, but a tad more honest than sanitised version that happens with lethal injection.

I find the medicalisation of execution to be disturbing, but it's just as disturbing to revel in it as you seem to suggest. I'm of the opinion that if capital punishment is to be done, then it should be done quickly and with an absolute minimum of pomp and circumstance. Drawing it out and making some sort of sick ceremony out of it is a gross and unnecessary display of power on the part of the state, and involving relatives and/or the public brutalises society as a whole. With regards to method, hanging can be really quick if done right and if those skills aren't available, I would say shooting is the next best thing.

In the particular case of the US it's obvious to me that, given the fact that people on death row are disproportionately non-white, racism is a problem and it would be better all round for executions to stop.

When you can revive someone who was executed, if it is subsequently found that the conviction was unsafe ...
... then I might consider supporting the death penalty.
Until then, I oppose these acts of state sanctioned murder.

I'd think it was hilarious if Breivik accidentally got electrocuted by his PlayStation or whatever but I'm glad Norway hasn't executed him - they haven't executed anybody in peacetime since 1876, changing the law and tradition for Breivik would just make him seem more important.

I don't buy that. If someone is guilty of facilitating a program of torture, murder and genocide then I would actually sleep more soundly knowing that such a person is safely dead.

Could you sleep soundly at night knowing you had just killed someone or would you absolve yourself of guilt and responsibility in the knowledge that you were killing someone on the orders of someone else?
It helps me to sleep knowing that these people are locked up and out of harms way.

Could you sleep soundly at night knowing you had just killed someone or would you absolve yourself of guilt and responsibility in the knowledge that you were killing someone on the orders of someone else?
It helps me to sleep knowing that these people are locked up and out of harms way.
Milgram experiment - Wikipedia
(Emphasis mine)
Milgram elaborated two theories:
  • The first is the theory of conformism...
  • The second is the agentic state theory, wherein, per Milgram, "the essence of obedience consists in the fact that a person comes to view themselves as the instrument for carrying out another person's wishes, and they therefore no longer see themselves as responsible for their actions. Once this critical shift of viewpoint has occurred in the person, all of the essential features of obedience follow".

I'd think it was hilarious if Breivik accidentally got electrocuted by his PlayStation or whatever but I'm glad Norway hasn't executed him - they haven't executed anybody in peacetime since 1876, changing the law and tradition for Breivik would just make him seem more important.
The point being that there are indeed occasions where there can be no doubt whatsoever of a person's intent or guilt.

So the person who kills a mass murderer is as bad as them in your view? Really?

Back
Top Bottom