Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Jones - Two Stops Past Barking?

He sounded a lot different back in 1999

before he was ever on TV i listened to him on the radio a time or two. what i remember is that he had guests and they talked about the working class - using that phrase, when every media blowhard was making their "regular guy" pitch by talking about the middle class. again, it was only a few times, so he may have been pitching the new york post/daily mail version of the working class as "natural conservatives", but it stuck in my head that he talked that way.

before he was ever on TV i listened to him on the radio a time or two. what i remember is that he had guests and they talked about the working class - using that phrase, when every media blowhard was making their "regular guy" pitch by talking about the middle class. again, it was only a few times, so he may have been pitching the new york post/daily mail version of the working class as "natural conservatives", but it stuck in my head that he talked that way.
I thought the US pitched the working class as the middle class generally. They try and sometimes get away with similar in the UK. I think someone said we’re all middle class now, or class doesn’t exist. Probably New Labour as the Tories surely couldn’t say it with a straight face.

Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Thursday moved to liquidate his personal assets, agreeing to demands from the families of Sandy Hook victims whom he owes more than $1.5 billion in damages over his lies about the 2012 school massacre.

The seismic move paves the way for a future in which Jones no longer owns Infowars, the influential conspiracy empire he founded in the late 1990s. Over the years, Jones has not only used the media company to poison the public discourse with vile lies and conspiracy theories, but also to enrich himself to the tune of millions of dollars.

Prior to Thursday, Jones had resisted converting his personal bankruptcy into a Chapter 7 liquidation. But facing mounting legal pressure, he reversed course and caved to the demands of the Sandy Hook families, who have still not seen a penny from Jones since juries in Connecticut and Texas found him liable in 2022 for defamation and emotional distress. His lawyers said in a filing that there was “no reasonable prospect for a successful reorganization” and that continuing down the path would only result in additional expenses incurred by Jones.
goodoh

Bountiful schadenfreude:

Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has asked a US court to liquidate his assets, legal filings show, which could allow him to start paying damages he owes the familes of victims of a 2012 school shooting.

The surviving families of the Sandy Hook shooting have not yet seen any of $1.5bn (£1.32bn) Mr Jones was ordered to pay in 2022.

The court documents show Mr. Jones has asked the court to convert his previous personal Chapter 11 bankruptcy claim to Chapter 7, which would allow the media personality to sell any assets rather than try to restructure his finances.

“There is no reasonable prospect of a successful reorganization,” his lawyers said in the filing, explaining the reason for the Chapter 7 claim.

The request appears in line with a settlement offer made by Sandy Hook families in 2023 that would allow Mr Jones to liquidate in order to pay a minimum of $85m (£67m) over 10 years.

Among the assets that could be sold include Mr Jones’ ownership in Free Speech Systems, the parent company of his Infowars media outlet.

Both Mr Jones and Free Speech Systems filed for bankruptcy in late 2022, which set up potential delays in victim pay-outs.

A judge ruled last year that Mr Jones would not be released from paying the settlement despite the bankruptcy filings.

Mr Jones was ordered in 2022 to pay families of the Sandy Hook shooting victims $1.5bn (£1.32bn) in multiple defamation cases over false claims about their relatives’ deaths at a suburban Connecticut school in 2012.

This sounds like a tough but worthwhile watch - I think for ideal viewing conditions, it'd be best to kidnap Alex Jones so you could punch him in the face while you're watching it

Although most of us will be aware of the bare bones of the story – and appalled by even those – it is still shocking to see him spout his viciousness. It is so viscerally wrong that you want to reach through the screen and stop his mouth by force. He builds a world in which the nervous smile of a stricken parent, Robbie Parker, before he speaks to the press about the death of his six-year-old daughter Emilie, becomes proof that the parents are all “crisis actors”. A world in which the absence of helicopters landing on the school lawns proves that there was no shooting and in which a technical glitch in an interview by the US journalist Anderson Cooper with the mother of another dead child is evidence that they did the whole thing in front of a green screen.

Back
Top Bottom