Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine 2022 - Possible Lessons from Past Wars?

assuming it was possible to do that.
i dont know if it possible, but would imagine it must be to some extent. Going for the corrupt oligarchs is a good place to start
Personally, I think a lot of the world's problems could be solved if we measured everyone's yacht, and anyone who owns a yacht of over 79 feet*, should be tied to the mast and the boat sank.
I for one welcome your generous rule

Personally, I think a lot of the world's problems could be solved if we measured everyone's yacht, and anyone who owns a yacht of over 79 feet*, should be tied to the mast and the boat sank. We could make a nice reef somewhere, with a little plaque.

* I use that distance because its the cutoff point between a pleasure cruiser and a large yacht. It's also the cutoff point between mere wealth and rapacious greed. (I also considered 39 feet as the cutoff point.)
That’s Rosie and Jim fucked then. And frankly about time too.

030B91B3-32ED-465A-9BA7-445E48A58E97.jpeg

( yeah, I know 70 x 6…)

Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please ~Machiavelli

In July 1914 both Germany and France had a plan for a quick victory, over in a couple of months. Neither country expected it to go on for over four years, leaving millions dead and the world changed forever.

When German tanks entered Poland in 1939 people knew it would be a big one, but not that it would end almost six years later with the US dropping atom bombs on Japan.

When the US sent troops to Vietnam and Afghanistan they didn't expect to crawl home in defeat a decade/two decades later.

Wars are unpredictable. Where they'll end can't be known at the start. Starting wars is always a bad idea.

Bandit rule? Uganda would have been lucky just to have bandits. Last year I did some consultancy work on a human rights project that involved looking for DNA evidence from mass graves - not mass graves from Amin's time, but of much more recent vintage (my work was all online, I didn't visit the region myself).

"Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" is a stirring tune, but that line about "they killed to earn their living and to help out the Congolese" - well the people of Congo have never been helped out by Thompson gunners, and the same is true of many other places.

what i know of that war is from the other side. mostly childhood memories of grown-ups discussing it. (my family lived there for a while, a long time ago & after the war)

i'd be interested to read bout that project, if you got any links?

hadn't heard that song either, liked it.

It looks like the Russians didn't calculate for the Ukrainian mud.

Something that could have been predicted from past wars fought on that ground at this time of year.

Something that could have been predicted from past wars fought on that ground at this time of year.

I've seen it suggested that the ground would normally still be frozen at this time of year but Ukraine is having an unusually mild winter.

Personally, I think a lot of the world's problems could be solved if we measured everyone's yacht, and anyone who owns a yacht of over 79 feet*, should be tied to the mast and the boat sank. We could make a nice reef somewhere, with a little plaque.

* I use that distance because its the cutoff point between a pleasure cruiser and a large yacht. It's also the cutoff point between mere wealth and rapacious greed. (I also considered 39 feet as the cutoff point.)
A wise move. We don't want sea levels rising TOO much...

Don't seem to have planned for anything.

N LAW and Javelin are having more effect than I thought they would.
They are easy to counter. Use drones to find the operators and then shell them. In 2014 the Russians used artillery to deadly effect. Now they can't even seem to do that
airborne assaults have failed. The Russian air force has enough planes to darken the skies of Ukraine seemed to have decided to give this one a miss.

.. or maybe they took the lessons from the winter war to heart & decided to start this one a bit later?

I've seen it suggested that the ground would normally still be frozen at this time of year but Ukraine is having an unusually mild winter.

they should have watched cnn (8/2/22)

Experts are speculating over Russia's next move. They may want to check Ukraine's weather forecast

When it’s all over I hope the Ukrainian farmers use all the derelict tanks for chicken houses etc., appropriate what they can.

I think they waited until the Winter Olympics were over to keep Xi happy and were planning on winning the war in a few days so there would still be time.

And still ending up kind of ruining it, the Russians and Belarusians are kicked out the Paralympics and this is ultimately what the Winter Olympics will be remembered for.

I think they waited until the Winter Olympics were over to keep Xi happy and were planning on winning the war in a few days so there would still be time.

And still ending up kind of ruining it, the Russians and Belarusians are kicked out the Paralympics and this is ultimately what the Winter Olympics will be remembered for.

the old school fascists didn't wait for no commie olympics

(was gonna say that at least putin respected the olympic truce, but apparently he didn't- was supposed to last til the paralympics was over.)

I think there could turn out be a bit like an inverse of German WW2 blitzkrieg into France.

France was still using outdated trench warfare tactics, but modern technology had changed the nature of warfare to make these tactics useless. Nazi Germany incorporated technological changes into their tactics and won.

But now, Russia is attempting to use something similar to Blitzkrieg tactics, but Ukraine's use of drones to target supply lines is proving effective. Lots of tanks running out of fuel and getting lost. Ukraine only has a few drones but I could see them getting more. Quite possible this turns out to be the war where use of drones renders old Blitzkrieg style tactics outdated.

Blitzkrieg could still work . The Russians were stopped by their shitty logistics and co-ordination. Shell the opposition then drive armour over them. A javelin takes longer to reload than to aim a tank gun at the smoke cloud it produces.
Their fearsome gunship helicopters are equipped with dumb rockets instead of anti _tank missles so get shot down .
I joined the army at the end of the 80s the fear some red army would sweep us aside in 5 minutes. This lot make the Iraqis look good.

give yer troops something a but more modern that a stalingrad era Mosin might help - apparently the local Donbass recruits are being handed new but well old stock Nagants before being send to the front. Misery retro.

Back
Top Bottom