Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A United Front for a Sane Foreign Policy? Can Left and Right co operate?

VirulentNeoCon

... and yet, it moves.
This is a thread moved from another place, where it was inappropriate.

At the kind suggestion of someone, here is a short summary, so that you can decide whether
it's worth reading further:

For the last twenty years at least, the US has pursued a dangerous and self-defeating foreign
policy. This policy was bi-partisan, and is driven by what President Eisenhower called the
"military-industrial complex", (and we could now add 'academic' to the other two adjectives).

American liberals have generally been opposed to this -- not their elected representatives, but
the rank and file, especially those who are active in pursuit of liberal causes.

The American conservative movement has generally been in favor it, usually vociferously so.

But that has changed. Hard experience has made most people on the Right opposed to further
foreign wars of choice.

This presents people who want to see a change in American foreign policy with an opportunity.
This thread examines this change in a bit more detail, and proposes that Leftist and Rightists
should find a way to co operate on this issue, to their mutual advantage.
=====================================================================

What I would like to do here is to see if we -- Lefties and Righties -- might be able
to take a couple of areas where we have substantial agreement, and turn it into effective action.

For example: the world seems to be moving in an ominous direction right now: as in Ukraine.

In the past, the folks on the Right were reflexive patriots -- any war the President wanted to start, they backed it, with enthusiasm.
No longer. In effect, they have become liberals with respect to foreign interventions.

Hard to believe perhaps, but true.
It's not a well-thought-out, settled conviction, they have not elaborated an alternative to their former positions, but
the sentiment is there, and it's strong. Tucker Carlson merely reflects this.

Yes, there are still some people who have the same views they had in 2001, including outright chauvinists,
but they're very much in the minority now. Rememeber that my side has got a lot of vets -- and no one is more credible,
on the Right at least, than a veteran explaining why he was sent on Mission Impossible.

But this could change.

Now ... wouldn't it be good if this mass feeling -- no more trying to bring democracy to the Third World at the point of American
bayonets -- could be consolidated, crystalized, given some informational content, and above all, directed at our elected
representatives so that they would think twice about sending in the 82nd Airborne to some place they are not wanted?

It won't happen without conscious effort. You probably know as well as I do that our dear representatives in Congress, from both
parties, are deeply entangled in the military-industrial complex, through campaign contributions, the influence of lobbyists, job
offers for them and their friends and relations. (You probably know also that it was a Republican, President Eisenhower, who coined
this term and pointed out the dangers that its existence posed to our Republic.)

Okay, this thread is for laughing at the Right and feeling superior, not for serious discussion. But if anyone's interested in exploring
what I'm proposing, DM me.

====================================== A response ================================================
This shows that your political method has changed little since the days of being on the irrelevant and delusional far left - if you seriously think that a coalition to stop Western agression towards Russia is going to be in any way influenced by you discussing things with a few randos on an obscure internet forum in 2022.

No offence but that's not how politics works. This can be a decent place to discuss politics even if you don't agree with the mainstream on here view but it's never contributed to anything other than pleasant time wasting. Which is a good thing in itself but doesn't lead to real world political action.
============================= My reply =========================================================

Thank you for the civil reply. Please don't think that I am not aware of the fact that my own personal efforts to do something, compared to the task, are .... as 1 to 1000 000 000 000.

You counsel political passivity ... leave it to our masters. I urge you to think again.

Yes, I'm just one person.

But .... there are probably thousands of people like me. I say "probably" because I don't know, but I do know that if I am thinking a certain way, it's probably not mainly because of my own brilliant intellect, but because I have been influenced by social trends, ie by other people who feel the same way and in various ways make this known.

I follow the American Right pretty closely, via social media, and in other ways, such as by participation in many conservative and militia forums.

I can tell you that the transformation among them over the last decade has been remarkable. I could re-post hundreds of things people have said in conservative forums and on, on Social Media, and inter-leave them with readers' comments from Mother Jones or TruthOut or CounterPunch, and you would not be able to tell which originated from where.

There are people on the Left who understand this: Michael Moore used to be one; Michael Lind does.

But the curent momentum within the Left is all around identity politics, lubricated by a healthy dose of class snobbery, so no one there seems to trying to take advantage of a development that from their (your?) point of view, ought be manna from heaven.

Just consider: we supported the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, you (the real Left, not Democratic hacks) opposed them (with a few exceptions, such as the late and much-lamented Christopher Hitchens).

You denounced the big corporations, you opposed shipping American jobs abroad, you opposed union-busting ... we supported it.

You were right. We were wrong. Maybe you were right for the wrong reasons (as I think), but at the end of the day, it's what you said and did, not why you said and did it.

So I see a huge opportunity here, to come together for limited aims of which we both approve -- first of all, to try to curb the war machine.

And there is recent precedent at the top: The surviving Koch brother -- one of your (?) side's bête noires -- has joined with George Soros -- one of my side's r bête noires -- to work togetther
to get a non-interventionist foreign policy. See here: https:// quincyinst.org

Both of them are billionaires, and apparently they had their research team do an analysis of how an all-out global thermonuclear war would affect profits. Evidently, it would affect them
negatively, although the stock market wouldn't so much plunge, as ascend into the stratosphere as radioactive glowing vapor. So they decided to do something about it.

Unfortunately, they nothing about political action -- they just give money to groups they like. So this obscure think tank is virtually unknown, although the neo-cons reacted strongly
against it.

I've already mentioned a widely-read (on the Right) book by FH Buckley, proposing to turn the Republicans into the American equivalent of their European 'Social Christian' counterparts.

The problem is, these people -- like the people who publish journals on the Right which also favor a restrained foreign policy, like American Conservative and Chronicles of American Culture, are not
'campaigners'. Their concept of political action is to write a paper, and occasionally publish a book.. All worthy and useful things, but ... they don't reach the Republican farmer, auto mechanic, waitress.

There is another consideration, which I won't expand on here. The United States is entering ... has been on ... an unknown, and possibly very unstable political path.

We are in decline, and China is on the way up. The very fact that the American Right is represented by Donald Trump, and the Left, by Joe Biden -- facing men like Putin and Xi, intelligent men commanding powerful, compliant states, and filled with steely determination to gut the Great Satan -- is just a superficial manifestation of something going wrong in the body politic.

People on the Left screech about 'fascism' and 'white supremacy' as being typical of the Right. Their vaporings can be dismissed with a wave of the hand.

But ... the potential is there, let's not kid ourselves. 'Populism' can take a very ugly turn. So far, it hasn't.

However, there are groups on the Right, and some pretty capable ones, not the kiddies and their FBI handlers you see on TV, who would like to make the Left's hysterical accusations into reality.
So far they remain isolated. But this could change.

Suppose there is a dramatic American military humilation abroad, close in time to a big economic collapse. Anyone who knows their history will think: Weimar Germany.
In 1929, the Nazis got 2.5% of the popular vote. Four years later, they got 37%.

Now I have no idea, at the moment, how a group of serious people from Left and Right would actually work together for common aims, how we would decide what to do, and above all, what we would do. This would be something to be discussed. The first thing would be to find more people with the same idea, and construct some sort of framework for discussion.

Anyone who is interested in this idea should PM me.

Last edited:
May be an idea to say something short and sweet, and use the spoiler code for the big detail.

Massive opening posts tend to not get read.
Of course you are right. I'll do that. Thanks. (Ran out of my anti-logorrhea pills last week .. got to get that prescription refilled.)

I'm sorry about that. I would be interested in your opinion. I can only plead what Churchill once said, when he submitted copy to a paper and was told that it was too long: "I didn't
have time to make it shorter." At least have a look at the first few sentences.

Before trying to get the US left and right to agree on foreign policy, you probably need to have a go at articulating what such a policy might look like. If it's just "don't invade somewhere and try and install a democratic constitution", then it looks like it effectively been achieved already. I'd be more inclined to spend time thinking about how the US might deal with China than worry that they're going to spend the next ten years invading Cameroon or wherever.

Yup, fatuous, ill-considered drivel. I'm literally stunned it came from a Spart...

Imagine being so tin-eared, so oafish, as to a) think 'this is what the right thinks, and this is what the left thinks', and b) transfer that shit understanding 3,000 miles across the Atlantic and assuming it would fit the politics of another country?

Trotskyists who were unusual in that they read books.

Not really true. When I was in the SL/B most members read the Spart press and nothing else. They didn't have the time or energy to read.

Not sure why you are doing this here - in the US Jimmy Dore, Glenn Greenwald, Bret Weinstein, Tim Pool etc. etc. are all proselytising for the Popular Front (or a variation of it). Why don't you talk to some of them? Use some real examples to illustrate your idea. Lula is an interesting example of politics not as usual. And stop insulting people. If you want anyone to listen you have to first establish you are not a troll. Get the stupid user name changed.

Free consultancy, no charge.

ETA - if you use real examples everyone can see what you mean, but maybe you prefer the obscurity of abstraction.

Last edited:
Imagine being so tin-eared, so oafish, as to a) think 'this is what the right thinks, and this is what the left thinks', and b) transfer that shit understanding 3,000 miles across the Atlantic and assuming it would fit the politics of another country?

Or if you can't imagine it, we have a whole US sub-forum to look at.

This is a thread moved from another place, where it was inappropriate.

At the kind suggestion of someone, here is a short summary, so that you can decide whether
it's worth reading further:

For the last twenty years at least, the US has pursued a dangerous and self-defeating foreign
policy. This policy was bi-partisan, and is driven by what President Eisenhower called the
"military-industrial complex", (and we could now add 'academic' to the other two adjectives).

American liberals have generally been opposed to this -- not their elected representatives, but
the rank and file, especially those who are active in pursuit of liberal causes.

The American conservative movement has generally been in favor it, usually vociferously so.

But that has changed. Hard experience has made most people on the Right opposed to further
foreign wars of choice.

This presents people who want to see a change in American foreign policy with an opportunity.
This thread examines this change in a bit more detail, and proposes that Leftist and Rightists
should find a way to co operate on this issue, to their mutual advantage.
=====================================================================

What I would like to do here is to see if we -- Lefties and Righties -- might be able
to take a couple of areas where we have substantial agreement, and turn it into effective action.

For example: the world seems to be moving in an ominous direction right now: as in Ukraine.

In the past, the folks on the Right were reflexive patriots -- any war the President wanted to start, they backed it, with enthusiasm.
No longer. In effect, they have become liberals with respect to foreign interventions.

Hard to believe perhaps, but true.
It's not a well-thought-out, settled conviction, they have not elaborated an alternative to their former positions, but
the sentiment is there, and it's strong. Tucker Carlson merely reflects this.

Yes, there are still some people who have the same views they had in 2001, including outright chauvinists,
but they're very much in the minority now. Rememeber that my side has got a lot of vets -- and no one is more credible,
on the Right at least, than a veteran explaining why he was sent on Mission Impossible.

But this could change.

Now ... wouldn't it be good if this mass feeling -- no more trying to bring democracy to the Third World at the point of American
bayonets -- could be consolidated, crystalized, given some informational content, and above all, directed at our elected
representatives so that they would think twice about sending in the 82nd Airborne to some place they are not wanted?

It won't happen without conscious effort. You probably know as well as I do that our dear representatives in Congress, from both
parties, are deeply entangled in the military-industrial complex, through campaign contributions, the influence of lobbyists, job
offers for them and their friends and relations. (You probably know also that it was a Republican, President Eisenhower, who coined
this term and pointed out the dangers that its existence posed to our Republic.)

Okay, this thread is for laughing at the Right and feeling superior, not for serious discussion. But if anyone's interested in exploring
what I'm proposing, DM me.

====================================== A response ================================================
This shows that your political method has changed little since the days of being on the irrelevant and delusional far left - if you seriously think that a coalition to stop Western agression towards Russia is going to be in any way influenced by you discussing things with a few randos on an obscure internet forum in 2022.

No offence but that's not how politics works. This can be a decent place to discuss politics even if you don't agree with the mainstream on here view but it's never contributed to anything other than pleasant time wasting. Which is a good thing in itself but doesn't lead to real world political action.
============================= My reply =========================================================

Thank you for the civil reply. Please don't think that I am not aware of the fact that my own personal efforts to do something, compared to the task, are .... as 1 to 1000 000 000 000.

You counsel political passivity ... leave it to our masters. I urge you to think again.

Yes, I'm just one person.

But .... there are probably thousands of people like me. I say "probably" because I don't know, but I do know that if I am thinking a certain way, it's probably not mainly because of my own brilliant intellect, but because I have been influenced by social trends, ie by other people who feel the same way and in various ways make this known.

I follow the American Right pretty closely, via social media, and in other ways, such as by participation in many conservative and militia forums.

I can tell you that the transformation among them over the last decade has been remarkable. I could re-post hundreds of things people have said in conservative forums and on, on Social Media, and inter-leave them with readers' comments from Mother Jones or TruthOut or CounterPunch, and you would not be able to tell which originated from where.

There are people on the Left who understand this: Michael Moore used to be one; Michael Lind does.

But the curent momentum within the Left is all around identity politics, lubricated by a healthy dose of class snobbery, so no one there seems to trying to take advantage of a development that from their (your?) point of view, ought be manna from heaven.

Just consider: we supported the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, you (the real Left, not Democratic hacks) opposed them (with a few exceptions, such as the late and much-lamented Christopher Hitchens).

You denounced the big corporations, you opposed shipping American jobs abroad, you opposed union-busting ... we supported it.

You were right. We were wrong. Maybe you were right for the wrong reasons (as I think), but at the end of the day, it's what you said and did, not why you said and did it.

So I see a huge opportunity here, to come together for limited aims of which we both approve -- first of all, to try to curb the war machine.

And there is recent precedent at the top: The surviving Koch brother -- one of your (?) side's bête noires -- has joined with George Soros -- one of my side's r bête noires -- to work togetther
to get a non-interventionist foreign policy. See here: https:// quincyinst.org

Both of them are billionaires, and apparently they had their research team do an analysis of how an all-out global thermonuclear war would affect profits. Evidently, it would affect them
negatively, although the stock market wouldn't so much plunge, as ascend into the stratosphere as radioactive glowing vapor. So they decided to do something about it.

Unfortunately, they nothing about political action -- they just give money to groups they like. So this obscure think tank is virtually unknown, although the neo-cons reacted strongly
against it.

I've already mentioned a widely-read (on the Right) book by FH Buckley, proposing to turn the Republicans into the American equivalent of their European 'Social Christian' counterparts.

The problem is, these people -- like the people who publish journals on the Right which also favor a restrained foreign policy, like American Conservative and Chronicles of American Culture, are not
'campaigners'. Their concept of political action is to write a paper, and occasionally publish a book.. All worthy and useful things, but ... they don't reach the Republican farmer, auto mechanic, waitress.

There is another consideration, which I won't expand on here. The United States is entering ... has been on ... an unknown, and possibly very unstable political path.

We are in decline, and China is on the way up. The very fact that the American Right is represented by Donald Trump, and the Left, by Joe Biden -- facing men like Putin and Xi, intelligent men commanding powerful, compliant states, and filled with steely determination to gut the Great Satan -- is just a superficial manifestation of something going wrong in the body politic.

People on the Left screech about 'fascism' and 'white supremacy' as being typical of the Right. Their vaporings can be dismissed with a wave of the hand.

But ... the potential is there, let's not kid ourselves. 'Populism' can take a very ugly turn. So far, it hasn't.

However, there are groups on the Right, and some pretty capable ones, not the kiddies and their FBI handlers you see on TV, who would like to make the Left's hysterical accusations into reality.
So far they remain isolated. But this could change.

Suppose there is a dramatic American military humilation abroad, close in time to a big economic collapse. Anyone who knows their history will think: Weimar Germany.
In 1929, the Nazis got 2.5% of the popular vote. Four years later, they got 37%.

Now I have no idea, at the moment, how a group of serious people from Left and Right would actually work together for common aims, how we would decide what to do, and above all, what we would do. This would be something to be discussed. The first thing would be to find more people with the same idea, and construct some sort of framework for discussion.

Anyone who is interested in this idea should PM me.
What's your point caller?

Not really true. When I was in the SL/B most members read the Spart press and nothing else. They didn't have the time or energy to read.

Not sure why you are doing this here - in the US Jimmy Dore, Glenn Greenwald, Bret Weinstein, Tim Pool etc. etc. are all proselytising for the Popular Front (or a variation of it). Why don't you talk to some of them? Use some real examples to illustrate your idea. Lula is an interesting example of politics not as usual. And stop insulting people. If you want anyone to listen you have to first establish you are not a troll. Get the stupid user name changed.

Free consultancy, no charge.

ETA - if you use real examples everyone can see what you mean, but maybe you prefer the obscurity of abstraction.
Yes, there are some good people on the Left who see the possibilites .. Greenwald and Weinstein I knew about, Pool not. I would appreciate any others.
Yes, I was pleased when Lula (if we're talking about Brazil) won, and thought the corruption charges were a frame-up, as apparently they have been shown to be.
I'm just here by accident, actually, and my username was chosen on whim, after I read a post naming me that way. Then when I saw it had some serious Lefties, I thought
I'd trial this idea ... which I am indeed taking to many other sites over the next couple of weeks.
As for abstractions, yes, you are right. Most important.
I could collect hundreds of examples of ordinary American Republicans/conservatives saying things that no Leftist could disagree with. (I assume that's what you're
talking about.) It will take some precious time, but I probably should do it.
As for insulting people -- I just reply in kind. Maybe that's a bad idea, but it's a strong reflex with all of us.
As for Spartacists' reading habits ... I think you were in later than I was, and maybe that was true by then. When I was in , we were encouraged to read -- which doesn't say
we all did -- and we were even encouraged to read our socialist rivals' press.

Oh yes -- as for a 'Popular Front' -- as an ex-Spart you're probably familiar with that dispute within the SL, when some comrades interpreted 'a Popular Front' as a 'United Front with the
bourgeosie'. They were corrected --without any shrieking -- o the issue. A Popular Front would be where we agree to support each other's candidates, should they prove sound on
the anti-war issue. I'm not against that in principle, but I have something else in mind to start with.

From what I know of web 3.0, I think I want to prevent it, although possibly not enough to form a united front with Alex Jones over it.
You wouldn't want Alex Jones' considerable following on the Right to come out against further American interventions in the Third World? Astonishing!

t to prevent WWIII ?

I think this is shaping up to be a hilarious thread. The funny thing is I knew Doug (VirulentNeoCon), and I can hear his voice saying all this.

I notice that our Dear Intolocutor hasn't outlined what this mythical FP that 'left and right' (which sounds more like an assembled bag of crazies than actual left and right) might agree agree on could look like, just that they should agree on one...

Is this how it is in the Sparts - everyone agrees to support the policy, and then someone lets you know what it is?

It'd be (amusingly) interesting to hear what this policy might be - if about Russia, does the policy regarding Ukraine look different to a NATO ally like Estonia or Poland, does the policy towards the slightly dodgy not-in-NATO Ukraine look different to the policy to pretty nice, but not-in-NATO Sweden or Finland?

What does the China policy look like - is Taiwan different to South Korea, what about Japan? What about Vietnam?

He keeps honking off about a lack of political argument, but...

I thought it actually said WWWIII.
Was puzzling over it...
We may have a real typo referring to a non-typo. Did you mean, WWII (two)? Yes, that would be worth preventing as well, and why not WWI into the bargain, but I don't think even the most powerful unity on the issue could do that.

Speaking of those two wars, if you haven't read it, you should get Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August -- about the lead-up to WWI. How they stumbled into it blindly. (The academic case for that view is found in The Sleepwalkers, although of course other academics contest it.)

Years ago, I had an acquaintance, now long deceased, who was a young man in the City in 1939. As things got tense, he and his mates all joined the Territorials, but as he said to me, "None of us believed that the Germans were going to do it all over again."

So I take all this troop build-up etc seriously, although it's too late to do anything about it now.. But if we come through this, there will be more.

I could collect hundreds of examples of ordinary American Republicans/conservatives saying things that no Leftist could disagree with. (I assume that's what you're
talking about.) It will take some precious time, but I probably should do it.

No, I mean practical examples of political actions or campaigns that embody what you are talking about. Otherwise it's vague blah blah.

As for insulting people -- I just reply in kind. Maybe that's a bad idea, but it's a strong reflex with all of us.

If you are trying to do something you consider constructive (and it's not at all clear that you are) you need to lose the grouchy old Spart stuff.

As for abstractions, yes, you are right. Most important.

I meant the opposite of this.

No, I mean practical examples of political actions or campaigns that embody what you are talking about. Otherwise it's vague blah blah.

If you are trying to do something you consider constructive (and it's not at all clear that you are) you need to lose the grouchy old Spart stuff.

I meant the opposite of this.
"Grouch old Spart"? Yikes! Well, grouchiness is in the eye of the beholder. I'm the most cuddly, genial ex-Spart you're ever likely to meet.
But whatever, the insults and return insults should stay in the previous thread. On this one, let's talk about this idea ... even if you think it's a
non-starter, that's useful information.

"Grouch old Spart"? Yikes! Well, grouchiness is in the eye of the beholder. I'm the most cuddly, genial ex-Spart you're ever likely to meet.
But whatever, the insults and return insults should stay in the previous thread. On this one, let's talk about this idea ... even if you think it's a
non-starter, that's useful information.

So why don't you start then?

Why don't you actually illustrate what, roughly, you think this policy/group of policies might look like, rather than blather on endlessly about extraneous crap and rather pointedly not talk about what the policy might be?

You wouldn't want Alex Jones' considerable following on the Right to come out against further American interventions in the Third World? Astonishing!
1) as I understand it, Alex Jones, as you'd expect from a 9/11 truther, is on the isolationist/anti-intervention wing of the right anyway - see, for instance:
2) Alex Jones' considerable following on the right is not particularly influenced by what hitmouse from off of urban75 says either way, when he opposed Trump's airstrikes on Syria that was not cos I told him to do it.
3) I wasn't actually talking about American interventions in the third world, just making a daft joke running with the WWIII/WWW3 confusion.

Back
Top Bottom