Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Golden Age of Crisps?

I love crisps. My super agent name is 'crisp woman'. My bf is 'cider man'. I adore s&v flavour in its many guises above all else. I wrote to wotsits last summer to say how much I rated the flaming hot flavour and asked for them to be in their own multi-pack and not only as part of a variety pack. I had a po faced standard reply whereas when I wrote to REAL crisps bigging them up I got delivered a box of 16 with 2 of each flavour and a lovely letter.

I remember buying bovril crisps and curry sauce ones for 9p a pack. I'm very fond of golden wonder pickled onion too.

im very fond of the McCoys ridged range of flame grilled steak, cheddar and onion, salt and vinegar and sizzling king prawn. It's a decent snack and you get a generous amount in the bag too (unlike them Discos scoundrels !!):mad:

also respect to Walkers ridged range espec Paprika - its such a big, generous bag for greedy people who want a satisfying snack.

i also love Nik Naks cream n cheesy - dont they make it anymore?? and whatever happened to Walkers cream cheese one, it was in a yellow bag

Ireland also has some excellent crisps with two leading 'potato' brands such as Tayto and King and then inventive maize/ corn novelty crisps that have remained unchanged for years, such as Burger Bites (shaped like little burgers!!), Chipsticks (maize salt and vinegar sticks!), Waffles (bacon flavoured corn snacks shaped like the top of tennis rackets) and Snax (extremely cheese n oniony melt in the mouth puffs):cool:

Strong flavored Salt and Vinegar crisps for the win....

images

Tesco's own S+V's used to be lip burningly strong but I have not had them for a while.

These were NI only (I think) from the 70s - their S&V would burn your tongue (as did most of their other flavours) - probably the first "ridged" crisp as well:
spudz.jpg

Iirc there was a little "Sam Spade" type strip cartoon on the back and he'd say something like "Here's crunching - you great big beautiful mouthful!" :)

The myth of the golden age:

"nothing is older in human history than seeing the past as exemplary (the "Golden Age"), the present as deficient, and then trying to restore conditions as they used to be. Few Egyptian Pharaohs came to the throne without undertaking to restore things "as they were in the beginning." That is, of course, the hallmark of the conservatism of traditional cultures. All traditional human societies justify their practices either by saying, "that is the way things have always been," or, if origins are in issue, by saying that the gods established things that way. Mythic accounts may or may not have been offered, briefly or elaborately, to explain how or why the gods did establish things in the proper way. Eventually the explanation becomes the thing itself, and the historical dimension is simply eliminated, as religions like Judaism, Christianity, and Islam directly present the founding commands of God in revelatory literature. In Protestantism, the value or authority of tradition is rejected altogether, as the sole authority for present institutions is restricted to the revelatory authority of the Bible. Similarly, even though Confucius hoped to restore the golden age of "Yao and Shun," it is later the statements of Confucius himself that are regarded as authoritative."

http://www.friesian.com/conserv.htm

I've not posted on here for ages, but this thread had me I'm stitches.

We are indeed living in a golden age of crisps.

My personal faves are the moment are co-op own brand champagne vinegar and sea salt. A quid and a fistful of coppers at the co-op next to my house.

Posh crisps FTW :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Also I remember when Discos used to come with a "flavour booster" in the 90s. Basically an extra sachet of salt and MSG.

Them were the days...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

The discontiued balsamic vinegar & sea salt pringle mini's - major NOMS
Apparently they were pulled because of complaints of the flavouring 'burning' mouths

Pringles are wrong on many levels. Too greasy. They make walkers look like proper crisps.

congratulations, you've managed to eat the most bourgois crisps ever invented. Near as bad a crisps made from parsnips.

Tyrell's I think.

Philleas Fog seems to have vanished tho. What happened to phileas fog

You only seemed to be able to get Phileas Fog in gaffes like Cellar 5 or Peter Dominic. Or that other off licence that had a similar frontage to Cellar 5 whose name I can't remember.

These fuckers as well
crisps8.jpg , you only seemed to find them in Cellar 5.

Ireland also has some excellent crisps with two leading 'potato' brands such as Tayto and King and then inventive maize/ corn novelty crisps that have remained unchanged for years, such as Burger Bites (shaped like little burgers!!), Chipsticks (maize salt and vinegar sticks!), Waffles (bacon flavoured corn snacks shaped like the top of tennis rackets) and Snax (extremely cheese n oniony melt in the mouth puffs):cool:

No way are they all Irish! Well I know Tayto is only in Ireland but now I feel sorry for all the British kids who missed out on Chipsticks. more for me I guess.

Back
Top Bottom