Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

75th anniversary of the Russian liberation of Auschwitz.

My FB feed had been more what about the gays and Roma? than commemoration for the Jewish people that died. Don't know why but it feels cold.
Well there were gays and Roma (and the disabled) killed in the camps, but the vast majority were Jews.

Has there been much comment on this anniversary on your FB?

I think this online database is quite new, is new to me at least. I put my surname in the search box and got 3,685 results , each with a few details first name where they were from etc just enough to give vague outline of actual people in the numbers.

My FB feed had been more what about the gays and Roma? than commemoration for the Jewish people that died. Don't know why but it feels cold.
Unfortunately for fb's army of concern trolls and assorted pricks, I turned on the ceremony today and Else Baker was speaking.

The trouble is some people, on all sides, take one set of victims being talked about/talking about themselves as 'denial' of the experience of the others, and frankly they all need to shut up and just let people affected by it or interested in it talk. I specifically tweeted that everyone needs to let everyone else talk about different group's experience without whataboutery, it's just not appropriate. But that's fucking social media for you.

Cloo mercifully I have been spared any social media about this, my exposure is very light to SM in any case unless you count Urban as being part of it. But I agree, let people talk if they want.. I was a little surprised at how few on here commented but then were there not 70 year commemorations also just 5 years ago, I seem to recall a similar ceremony.

It's an emotive topic, and also some people are just determined to show that they're smarter than other people and they know it wasn't just the Jews. And some people who are outright antisemites and want to claim the Jews are somehow 'hogging' it, or exaggerating

I always say that the exact numbers don't matter - the Holocaust would be an abomination if 6000 people were killed rather than millions. All I know is that there is a yawning gap where I should have hundreds of cousins because someone killed most of my grandfather's family, mostly at Auschwitz.

Here's my mum by the memorial to the Jews of Sahy in Slovakia/Hungarian border, where my grandfather was born - the names here include her father's family, Buchler (his mother and several siblings, aunts, uncles nieces and nephews were killed, one brother survived Auschwitz, his father mercifully died before they started rounding up the Jews), and the Eckstein and Blum families who were related. I think each has at least a dozen names. Note that the 'voids' in the letters like O, P and D are punched right through the metal.

81133505_10157959167168659_3571599515209170944_n.jpg

My Dad's army unit arrived at Bergen Belsen some time after it was liberated. I think the army had already dug trenches for the dead and gotten some of the local Germans (who claimed no knowledge of the camp) to move the bodies into the graves. Those graves are still there, with ominous boards proclaiming how many thousands were in each. At least they were there 25 years ago when I visited.

you forgot the Armenian-Turkish genocide

Armenian genocide took place in the immediate aftermath of WW1, Detroit City, and is often cited as the 'blueprint' for the Shoah and Hitler is on record gloating in the 1930s about "who remembers the Armenians now, eh?" - i.e. that he assumed he and the Nazi regime would get away with their own actions against Jews, Sinti, Roma, Slavs etc. Therefore it is not on the list of mass crimes against humanity and genocide after the WW2 Holocaust.

Armenian genocide took place in the immediate aftermath of WW1, Detroit City, and is often cited as the 'blueprint' for the Shoah and Hitler is on record gloating in the 1930s about "who remembers the Armenians now, eh?" - i.e. that he assumed he and the Nazi regime would get away with their own actions against Jews, Sinti, Roma, Slavs etc. Therefore it is not on the list of mass crimes against humanity and genocide after the WW2 Holocaust.
I see, thank you

Back
Top Bottom