Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2021 Local elections

brogdale

Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism
Seems to me that we're getting pretty close to a point when they're going to have to make a call on whether any of the proposed May 2021 (inc. postponed 2020 ones) elections can possibly go ahead as scheduled.

Anyone picking up any vibes? I gather that the EROs have, sensibly, all been ploughing ahead with the usual prep...but I just can't see how they can realistically be envisaging safely getting people to gather in polling stations or sports hall counts, let alone expect there to be any 'normal' party campaigning over the next few months.

1612453172514.png

I've had a form to fill in asking about social distancing at my station and how many people could safely queue inside and out and asking for suggestions
It claims screens/PPE/tape to mark floor etc will all be provided

As you say, seems ambitious

I've had a form to fill in asking about social distancing at my station and how many people could safely queue inside and out and asking for suggestions
It claims screens/PPE/tape to mark floor etc will all be provided

As you say, seems ambitious
If they postpone again, I'd imagine they'd go for Autumn?

Northumberland Council's electoral register dept are asking if people want to register for postal voting ...

The americans managed it recently so i don't see why we can't.

Couldn't they just do an all postal vote? (Normally i prefer to vote at the polling station but i can see why postal voting might be better during the pandemic)

If they do have voting in polling stations i'm sure they could have masks, screens, hand sanitiser machines by the door, etc. No worse than going into a shop.

The americans managed it recently so i don't see why we can't.

Couldn't they just do an all postal vote? (Normally i prefer to vote at the polling station but i can see why postal voting might be better during the pandemic)

If they do have voting in polling stations i'm sure they could have masks, hand sanitiser machines by the door, etc. No worse than going into a shop.
True, but I'm not sure Trump's America is the model of best practice our authorities should necessarily follow?
Irrespective of getting everyone to vote postally (not a chance in hell) there's still the very labour intensive counts that would necessitate large numbers of folk getting together.

Be interesting to see which way they jump on this tbh.

The info i've had said there would be screens and also only 2 in voting booth as opposed to usual 4 to allow social distancing
Not that 2 would be 2m away either

Back
Top Bottom