Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

I have tried to search this thread but am not very good at that. Someone on here once mentioned a spray to deter cats from peeing in places indoors; it wasn't Feliway. I think it might have been our resident Cat Meister Epona

Can anyone remember the name of that spray, please?

Today was the second time an electrician had to come out due to a sizzling and crackling socket, leading to a tripped fuse, which 'may' have been caused by one of my three Stinkies......
Professional Strength Probiotic Cat & Kitten Odour Destroyer
I would still recommend a feliway plug in too as it could be anxiety.

Thank you Epona and Calamity1971

The protein-removing effect described in both those products is something I remember from the earlier recommendation so this is really helpful.

I have those socket protectors on the two sockets affected by the previous ‘incident’ now and will buy more but also cover the sockets that have a plug in them.

I think that it is a territorial issue as I have two boys and a girl and I note that the boys have their own spot each that they will pee on.

I am slowly working my way through the flat (tidying, moving furniture, etc) so things are being moved about and stored in cartons and I did note that Shafi suddenly started marking spots in the living room.

Diddie claimed the bathroom a long time ago and will pee in there when he can get in.

ETA Will invest in Feliway too.

My youngest and tiniest kitther has just come into heat, took her to the vet a month ago to get her fixed but he didn't want to do it as her blood work was't great, shit.

How long should I wait until I can get her done?

Unless they're properly ginger and/or built like a brick shithouse I usually assume cats are female. That's probably a symptom of spending nearly a quarter of a century living with feline females.
I was probably the same, but now I've got a male cat. Male cats are awesome by the way, you should get one. They can be loud though, especially when they're a chunky 7kg boy like mine. My 5am wake up calls are not pleasant.

20220313_115521.jpg
How the heck do I open this cat flap? It's manual and obviously easy...but it's beat me. No online instructions start with such a basic question and there are no paper instructions.
Someone put me out of my misery please?

View attachment 314219
How the heck do I open this cat flap? It's manual and obviously easy...but it's beat me. No online instructions start with such a basic question and there are no paper instructions.
Someone put me out of my misery please?
Can you slide the green and red plastic components away from the centre, so the green one left and the red one right? You might need a finger nail or screw driver or similar to do that.

As a guess I think the two main ridged bits are removable so letting the arrowed bits move out to let the cat flap be in and out freely

Try a small screwdriver or nail file or similar but gently

Oh and keep the bits in case you want to limit access

Press down on the central ridged bit of the green and/or red tabs, then slide them to the left or right within the groove they're set in - bit like the tab on a ziploc, or a childsafe bottle top mechanism or something - but it needs a combination of pressure and movement to shift it

Lilith's been ill today and I'm really worried. She had diarrhoea this morning, but seemed to be eating OK and walking around, going out and wanting cuddles with me as usual. Just now she vomited up her food and wouldn't take the water I offered her to stop her getting dehydrated. She sneaked out the cat flap before I could check on her further. First thing tomorrow I'm taking her to the vet, and my housemate has made me promise to let him accompany me and not do it alone. I'm googling symptoms now which is the worst thing you can do. They keep saying cats are really good at hiding signs of illness until something's seriously wrong. I'm so scared she might have gone off somewhere to die.

Lilith's been ill today and I'm really worried. She had diarrhoea this morning, but seemed to be eating OK and walking around, going out and wanting cuddles with me as usual. Just now she vomited up her food and wouldn't take the water I offered her to stop her getting dehydrated. She sneaked out the cat flap before I could check on her further. First thing tomorrow I'm taking her to the vet, and my housemate has made me promise to let him accompany me and not do it alone. I'm googling symptoms now which is the worst thing you can do. They keep saying cats are really good at hiding signs of illness until something's seriously wrong. I'm so scared she might have gone off somewhere to die.
Oh no, I hope she's OK.

She just came back in and is using the litter tray. More squirty diarrhoea. Is D&V life threatening to a young 18-month-old cat with no other health issues in anyone's experience, as long as they get medical attention? I guess at least she is shitting and not constipated! Please someone tell me I'm overreacting.

She just came back in and is using the litter tray. More squirty diarrhoea. Is D&V life threatening to a young 18-month-old cat with no other health issues in anyone's experience, as long as they get medical attention? I guess at least she is shitting and not constipated! Please someone tell me I'm overreacting.

Get her to the vet first thing, it's just today this has been happening? No other symptoms? If it is just the squits for today then she's unlikely to be dehydrated to dangerous levels.

You can check a cat's hydration by gently pulling up the scruff and releasing it, if it moves back into place quickly then that is good, in a seriously dehydrated cat the skin will stay pulled up or go back into place slowly. Seriously dehydrated cats also tend to have a slightly sunken look to the eyes. I would not be too concerned about that being an issue in the space of 24 hours, at 18 months as a normally healthy young adult she is not at immediate risk of dehydration like a young kitten would be.

Do call the vet first thing though, it's not the sort of thing you want to leave going on for days, and obviously if it is something that needs treatment then the sooner that is started the better.

Back
Top Bottom