Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

I refrain from saying the obvious response because it wouldn't be true :D
catpaws_04.jpg

The chair has been moved back. I trod on Mookie's paw this morning trying to manoeuvre round it. Any cat parent will know THAT noise and how it makes your heart leap :( Bribes with Dreamies and endless apologies seem to have worked but Flinty is eyeing my feet with suspicion now and as her chair is back where it belongs the arm of my chair is now favourite. A pawing of me regularly and a mournful look in the eye is her make Moma feel guilty look for the lack of comfort. I am so pwned.

No, they both demanded instant nonstop cuddles :) Apparently Perry ignored the cat sitter completely - he's such a Mama's boy :)

That's what usually happens with Moonie :) Perry, however, is a total camera hog - whenever I try to get a picture of anything else he insists on being in it. :D

Progress on the Clive front - he's becoming much more stroke'able - which is good

He's taken to rolling around in the ash in front of the fire - which is not so good

He's, just about, been picked up by me, he's not too keen but I managed to stand up with him held and then he wriggled free - which is not so good

He's still stroke'able even after the picking up "thing" - which is good

So, all in all, progress on the Clive front

Casper is still very wary of everything, but I'm starting to get some little nose itches in whilst he's sniffing my hand and the gentlest of gentle paw or back or anywhere rubs when he's not paying attention

The good thing about Clive being a bit more stroke able is that Clive will swan around Casper whilst he's being stroked and this can take Casper's attention away a bit so the chance of strokes is getting better

That all sounds positive, HV. You're getting there.

Peg's still doing her mouth thing, so we're off to the vet tomorrow. Ted now apparently spends most of his time at their small animal hospital in a village in the back of beyond, so I have to see one of the others who I don't like as much and I'm already grumpy. Hopefully Peg will wee on his hand :thumbs:

I think my cat is not very bright. I love him even more for this, it's not a criticism or anything, but still. One example is how, when he wants to hide because there's someone here he's not sure about, he just sticks his head under the sofa, with the whole rest of him sticking out. Like he thinks he's invisible if he can't see.
Also, the other day I got a new window, after ages of having it boarded up with a bit of board, waiting for the replacement glass to come: When it got here the new window was so clean and unfamiliar that he tried to jump right through it onto the windowsill outside. Which is cool only he tried at least twice.
Is this normal or is he a bit, you know, special?

That's the sort of thing we refer to in this house as "doing a Jakey". Poor sod is the sweetest cat alive, but a bit short in the brains department.

I've remembered a good example of Jakey's not-particularly-bright behaviour... when we first got him, he used to raid the fridge sometimes (we've now got a lock on it) - he absolutely adores cheese, and he would go and open the fridge door and take out an entire block of cheese. His previous owner had clearly told him off for cheese theft as he would go into "slink as close to the ground as possible" mode as soon as he had grabbed his prize, and try to find a hiding place.

The hiding place he decided was best for stolen cheese scoffage in our flat, was under the sofa at the far end of the sitting room - which is pretty much the furthest place in the flat from the fridge, and necessitated him slinking across the room right in front of us, where we could clearly see him. He eschewed other viable cheese scoffing hiding places in favour of walking right past us. I swear, every time he would get half way across the sitting room with a pack of cheese in his gob, notice us sitting there watching him and ready to intercept him, and the look on his face every time was "oh shit, what do I do now?" And this wasn't just a one-off event, it was every single time. At least until we made it so he couldn't open the fridge door :D

My lot know what my tablet is and know somehow when it's set to camera mode. All go shy save for Wilbur who will recline into poses :D

Not one of my cats but I would like opinions. What do you think has caused this fur loss? There are reasons why I'm not saying any more than that right now.

cb72f669cbeee7bbc4579bd475dcd0ae.jpg

can't see that clearly as on mobile, but could be after effects of fleas

if its a boy kitty that was 'done' fairly young, then hormones to grow fur back may be a bit weak.

Not one of my cats but I would like opinions. What do you think has caused this fur loss? There are reasons why I'm not saying any more than that right now.

cb72f669cbeee7bbc4579bd475dcd0ae.jpg

Fleas would be my first thought. Some cats seem to be really sensitive and react at the first few bites. My Randy is like that, and even though he has regular flea tablets from the vet, by the end of the month he is starting to loose a bit of fur on his hind legs.

Fleas or mites of some kind seem the obvious call, without knowing more.

Stress in general can cause skin problems.

Difficult to see, but the skin looks bad underneath. Is it?

If it's a case of abuse, I'd expect being left to lie in urine or other mess to cause similar.

But very difficult to say without more context or better pictures (or a vet degree, heh).

Could be all sorts of things tbh, as an example I know I am not the only one on here who has a cat with overgrooming issues. In Radar's case it is due to allergies that sometimes make him itchy, I suspect a pollen allergy as it is always late summer (which I can't do much about other than get him a steroid shot if it gets bad), the poor sod balds his thighs and sometimes causes small sores, which obviously I get treated if necessary.

But there are lots of things that could cause fur loss.

Peggy has returned from her trip to see not-Ted.

He was in a good mood, despite the scratches all over his arms (not from Peg, I should add).

Peggy was more or less well behaved. Quite squirmy, but no biting or scratching, and she eventually laid down and curled up for a rest on the table.

He can't see a single thing wrong with her mouth. From my description he said he expected to see a bad tooth, but her teeth are in astonishingly good condition (something he was actually surprised about, for her age). No cracks, lesions, breaks, looseness. Healthy gums. No cuts in the mouth, no abscesses. Nothing obvious wrong with the hard or soft palate. No lumps or bumps on or around or under the tongue that he could see (he couldn't lift her tongue to get a good look underneath, but managed as best as possible).

It's a mystery!

So advice is to bring her back if it starts affecting her eating or otherwise gets worse, but just carry on as normal in the meantime. He said it's possible, since we don't know her medical history, if she'd had a broken jaw or such like earlier in life, if it hadn't set quite straight it might cause the teeth to not come together as they should which might annoy her on occasion. Or, perhaps the joints in her jaw have a touch of arthritis. Next step is a jaw/face xray to see if anything looks amiss, but no point to do that unless we need to.

He also had a really good look at her skin, since she tends to rub her face manically, and she scratches herself sometimes (and bleeds as a result). Her skin is in good condition, no dryness, no redness, no flakes, no mites, no fleas. Her fur is lovely and soft. He noticed she seems sensitive around her back end, which might be a hint at something (skin sensitive, rather than joint sensitive) but there's nothing visually to indicate anything is amiss, and certainly she never seems to scratch in that area or over-groom. He thinks her diet is adequate because her coat is so nice, but a little extra oily fish now and again might be an idea.

The little lump on her shoulder seems to be a cyst. Too small to drain, no point removing it since it doesn't bother her. Keep an eye on it, if it starts to grow take her back.

So, all in all, a clean bill of health, but still some big old mysteries that may never get solved.

Oh, and of course in good VP style, I told him I thought she'd lost some weight since I was last there, could he please weigh her. She's put it on :facepalm:

And she cried ALL the way there and ALL the way back, but seemed quite taken by Bella, the cocker spaniel in the waiting room.

Ahh bless Peggy is so lovely Vintage Paw. She's clearly in rude health because of her owner, sorry butler :)

Thanks to all of you for your observations. About my photo, or rather not my photo. Someone has posted in a local Facebook group to say their cat has been shaved again and they are not happy about it(!) Either the cat has been shaved some time ago and they've only just noticed the regrowth and posted it, or the more likely is overgrooming and/or a skin condition. I seem to recall they've posted about it before and their post would suggest so. Has anyone got any polite way I can express this given that every cat owner thinks they know best. The suggestion of a cat being shaved is a bit WTF but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Looks MUCH more like a skin condition than overgrooming to me, tbh (<-not a vet) - it's not in one patch but more generalised thinning. Stress? Vitamin deficiency? Mange? Fleas? but very probably not shaving :eek: (and I know because dear recently-departed loancat got his belly shaved for ultrasound scans, and the regrowth looked nothing like that.)

Looks MUCH more like a skin condition than overgrooming to me, tbh (<-not a vet) - it's not in one patch but more generalised thinning. Stress? Vitamin deficiency? Mange? Fleas? but very probably not shaving :eek: (and I know because dear recently-departed loancat got his belly shaved for ultrasound scans, and the regrowth looked nothing like that.)
So not just me thinking how the bloody hell do they think that's been shaved then? That's reassuring and very scary.

Who the fuck is going around shaving random cats?

How very odd.

I mean, when a large patch is shaved it tends to grow back more or less uniformly, and looks quite obviously shaved. That looks patchy and unhealthy, some long bits, some skin bits. And although it's very difficult to tell, the skin doesn't look so great underneath either.

A rogue kid shaving the cat? Maybe it wouldn't be so uniform. idk.

If it is being shaved... the owner really fucking needs to deal with the person shaving it because... I mean, I'd be fuming.

Actually there have been several spates of "prank" cat shaving in the past, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

("Prank" in quote marks because it is not something I find amusing).

Back
Top Bottom