Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

i've only had to clean up one lot of sick from this cat. oh and one lot of piss. after the door was shut to the room with the mog bog in it and she found bakunin's socks and pissed on them, cause they already were stinky.

Be glad you never had to clean up the Great Porridge Outfall Disaster of 2014.

Mzee Smudge has just been rushed to the emergency vets, because he suddenly can't walk. He's very dehydrated. He's been on meds for several months as his kidneys are packing up. He didn't appear for his dinner, and we found him under next door's hedge, barely moving.

If he doesn't pick up overnight, we'll decide whether he needs to be put down. I don't want him in any pain, or to be too mucked about. He's about 17 years old and 'adopted' us in the Elephant in 1999. Unlike the other animals, he was never insured, so the costs are high atm, but the old war horse has senior status and gets what he wants.

It's never any easier, it's always bollocks :(

I'm sorry to hear that, eatmorecheese. I hope they're able to make him comfortable, and that you can get some peace of mind knowing they're looking after him. :(

Mzee Smudge has just been rushed to the emergency vets, because he suddenly can't walk. He's very dehydrated. He's been on meds for several months as his kidneys are packing up. He didn't appear for his dinner, and we found him under next door's hedge, barely moving.

If he doesn't pick up overnight, we'll decide whether he needs to be put down. I don't want him in any pain, or to be too mucked about. He's about 17 years old and 'adopted' us in the Elephant in 1999. Unlike the other animals, he was never insured, so the costs are high atm, but the old war horse has senior status and gets what he wants.

:(

((((emc and kitty))))

So sorry to hear that, best wishes to you.

Haven't checked in for ages and wow, glad to hear about the return of the prodigal puss, trashpony :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::D and welcome Peggy Vintage Paw So sorry to hear about Smudge eatmorecheese

Not a lot of news here, although Breeze now tries more to sniff and lick Charlie Papillon's ears, which he doesn't really like. She just thinks he has a hygiene problem and can't help herself. They don't exactly snuggle, but manage to get fairly close at times, which is sweet.

CNU3I4wWoAAq6-h.jpg

i've only had to clean up one lot of sick from this cat. oh and one lot of piss. after the door was shut to the room with the mog bog in it and she found bakunin's socks and pissed on them, cause they already were stinky.

I think in my case, I have 3 indoor only cats (so they aren't doing their vomming out in the garden, and there are 3 of them), and they all bolt their food. It has got a bit better since I switched all their wet food to Bozita (that has also settled Sonic's bowels, he's not had the runs in ages), and their dry snack to RC Siamese - which is designed so cats with long jaws can't shovel it in without chewing.

So I'm down to sick 3 times a week (ie once a week from each) rather than 9-10 times a week.

Talk to me about old people food.

Or, well, old cat food.

I didn't bother with it for Charlie until the last couple of years, in which he developed a taste for Royal Canin 12+ in gravy. It doesn't particularly cost any more than the usual stuff, and I find myself so easily swayed by the swish marketing talk that tells me various ingredients will help aid against kidney problems and arthritis and certain destruction...

Those in the know... what do you think?

I think in my case, I have 3 indoor only cats (so they aren't doing their vomming out in the garden, and there are 3 of them), and they all bolt their food. It has got a bit better since I switched all their wet food to Bozita (that has also settled Sonic's bowels, he's not had the runs in ages), and their dry snack to RC Siamese - which is designed so cats with long jaws can't shovel it in without chewing.

So I'm down to sick 3 times a week (ie once a week from each) rather than 9-10 times a week.

ouch.

i've never had that kind of level of catsick. not from any cat, but then i've also never had a proper greedy guts. even madamme who was starving when we took her in has never scoffed until she's sick. but cause she was a stray for 18 months and wasn't 2 when we took her in, a delicate stomach would have killed her I reckon.

and she likes the bozita as well.after an initial sulk that it didn't come in gravy. so she didn't get any wet food at all for 4 days (unlimited dry and mouse before you worry i'd been starving her), then she decided it was nice.

as do I. because my whole kitchen dosne't smell of something vile.

and it's astounding how far it goes.

Last edited:

Or, well, old cat food.

I didn't bother with it for Charlie until the last couple of years, in which he developed a taste for Royal Canin 12+ in gravy. It doesn't particularly cost any more than the usual stuff, and I find myself so easily swayed by the swish marketing talk that tells me various ingredients will help aid against kidney problems and arthritis and certain destruction...

Right, here's a bit of my cat "history" and association with cats

First cat was a 1st birthday present from a cousin - Jenny - she died just before my 21st birthday, so she was knocking on 20 - she was fed a typical 1960-80's cat diet -whatever the pet food companies thought were right at the time, nothing special, Felix biscuits and stuff from the fish mongers - in fairness my mother did all of the looking after, but that's where I get my understanding of cats from

Squeak - actually my sisters cat - ginger tom - hit by a motorbike and survived, ended up with leukaemia and was pts far too young - so this doesn't really count but was fed the same as Jenny

Tori and Pink - two sisters - both pretty much looked after by my mother, again, Tori was hit by a car around 10 years of age, Pink was hit by something and smashed her leg but survived - she was hit by a car a second time didn't survive - she got to about 14 not on any special diet

Jess - my lovely Jess - again, she was MY first proper cat, I chose her from the rescue (well she chose me, but you know what I mean) - she didn't really have a special "aged" cat diet until Mrs Voltz came along - she got to 14-17 years of age, can't remember exactly, she had all her teeth removed - so I'd recommend biscuits featuring in a cats diet more than it did with Jess, she was pretty much, from memory wet food - cancer got her

Bob - "acquired" by an ex - he was a stray who used to scavenge from the local bins when she took him in - she left, Bob didn't - he was a food bin, simple as that - never really had a special diet until Mrz Voltz came along - but feeding Bob was never difficult - he got to "officially" 20 years of age when his kidneys packed up - he'd been on a renal diet/any damn food we could get into him probably for the last 6-8 months of his life

Rusty - she was No 3 cat when we had Jess and Bob at the same time - again, from the start nothing special on the diet front - she got to 16-18 years old before we lost her to cancer

FiFi - we got her when she was about 10 years old - she's officially an "old dink" and is on and will only really eat Purina Old Dink Food (+7 years old biscuits)

Casper and Clive - got them when they were about 2 years old - so I've got them on cat food, nobby cat food, but cat food - I'm still trying to settle on a food they like, but we're coming down to Bonzita biscuits being a bit of a favourite (thank you Epona for mentioning them in a aaaggggeeeesssss ago post - they seem to hit the target) and I'm still after a wet food for them - at the moment, pretty much any wet food seems to make them a "little loose" - but the wonder that is Zooplus is giving me LOADS to choose from

So, back to your original question (I DO go on a bit, don't I)

I genuinely believe that pet food dietary knowledge has improved massively over the years - I can remember with Jenny getting to 20 and people were genuinely amazed at such an old cat and I remember thinking at the time that any cat getting to 10-15 years old was having a good knock

Now

I'd feel cheated if we don't get at least another 5 years with FiFi and I'll expect more - so I'm expecting her to hit 17+ Mrz Voltz will have her on old dink biscuits with the occasional treat, but she doesn't really "do" treats and as she gets older the diet will change - we'll almost certainly start looking at a diet to help her kidneys as she gets older

The boys - again, I'm expecting them, barring getting hit by something and where we live that's vanishingly unlikely, to be around a LONG time - in my head they're our last but one or two "round of cats" before we die - there's a cheerful thought for you - but I'm 54, the boys are 2 - so another 15+ years and I'll be coming up to 70 - there you go - one more "round of cats" to go

Vintage Paw - hmmm, I don't know if I can advise, Hilli was technically on a special diet all the time and despite her congenital digestive disorder managed over 17.
But we did alternate various brands/diets to give her some variety. Including the senior and indoor versions from Hills / Purina and something else I can't remember. Being indoor only we could keep an eye on the in and outs to see if anything was upsetting her system and change it as required. Bolted excess food and furballs were about the only things that came back up, even when she was getting poorly towards the last few months of her life, and even then it was quite rare.

Well, the good news is - the boys heated cat basket has arrived - so that's good Yaaaayyy!

And

I've managed to squeeze in another Zooplus order in before my spending there is being curtailed - it's only food - please god don't let them go off their "favourite" biscuits - I also accidentally ticked the 3 pack of feathers option as well - they do love destroying them - bless

That sounds like what happened to Senior cat last year. He stopped eating, started drinking and weeing loads and got put on medication / special food and perked up for a while, but just suddenly went downhill. The vet was able to make him comfortable with IV fluids, but once their kidneys go (and often by the time you notice they're not well, a lot of the damage has been done), there's very little that can be done. Hopefully the vet will be able to get him going again.

It's horrible, but very common in elderly pusscats it seems.

Loancat is staying with me and has obviously been reading this thread ... distinguished himself last night by furiously insisting on being Let Out the front of the house at 11pm (catflap is at the back, but that would be too easy) ... so that he could go two doors down and howl at the front door of his local nemesis, offering him out. "look, I'm allowed in the road whenever I like and YOU'RE NOT. quien es el mas macho?" etc.

Then woke me early this morning with the gulpy gobs meaning IMMINENT PUKING but I managed to get him off the bed and away from my shoes just.in.time.

awkward little fluffy silky psycho that he is.

Thank you for the potted history of cats, High Voltage - that's the sort of thing I've been wondering about of late. There seem to be plenty of 20 year old cat stories where all they had their whole lives was Whiskers and whatever random biscuits were on sale at the supermarket. My childhood cat, Smokey, was a Whiskers Supermeat/Chunks and biscuits gal and lasted until 19. Her kidneys weren't so great towards the end, but the vet never recommended a special diet beyond cooked chicken every now and again. Being in the days before the internets, we didn't research anything, just did what the vet said.

Peggy Ruxpin (new nickname, coined last night) seems quite happy with her RC Ultra-Light and whatever mystery biscuits the shelter gave me for her. I've got some James Wellbeloved Senior biscuits I'm slowly adding to them so she can switch to them once the mystery biscuits are gone. I've got a smattering of other gravy foods should the need arise, and hopefully once she's shifted her shelter weight she'll find something else she likes.

As a side note, being Aspie I've always found I understand cats instinctively (unlike humans) and tend to get along with mogs rather better than I do with people. I was wondering if this was a common factor among us Aspies.

Or, well, old cat food.

When our Bob (RIP) was in his late teens the vet said cats do last a lot longer nowadays due to advances in pet food 'technology' and quality, so we've decided to always feed age-appropriate foods now if possible.

As a side note, being Aspie I've always found I understand cats instinctively (unlike humans) and tend to get along with mogs rather better than I do with people. I was wondering if this was a common factor among us Aspies.

statistically, yes. and all people on the autistic spectrum and animals in general. there have been numerous studies showing that being arround animals is a really good thing for people on the spectrum, stuff like reducing anxiety and improving children's social communication

Yesyesyes although I'm still undiagnosed. If a cat wants you, they definitely want you. If they don't they don't. It frustrates me that human interactions aren't that easy.

We have had our first furball.

She's not a fan of being brushed, and she is not at all impressed with the furball paste Charlie used to love.

Am ordering one of those pet brush mitt things.

(amongst other things :hmm:)
Mrs21 seems to have developed an expertise on cat gift websites

Back
Top Bottom