Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Young professionals" to infest flats above Iceland

I yam what I yam

popeye_the_sailor_man.jpg

whaddya want me to say? yes they were, this is primarily a discussion by and for locals and whilst others are welcome they're not uppermost in my mind when I post.

newbie said:
whaddya want me to say? yes they were, this is primarily a discussion by and for locals and whilst others are welcome they're not uppermost in my mind when I post.
Isn't that precisely the attitude that has people screaming ''NIMBY snob elitist!''?

IntoStella said:
Isn't that precisely the attitude that has people screaming ''NIMBY snob elitist!''?

What, that in posting I don't use words with a precision that picky can't find a hole in? :eek:

rather than banter i'd appreciate a considered answer to #718

Do you ever come to Brixton? Really? Where once were useful shops and daytime businesses are now bars and clubs, nailbars and sportswear outlets. Where once was a thriving market is now a pale shadow. Does it matter whether the new business are catering for the higher disposable income of some young people or to the willingness of the less well off to spend what little disposable money they have on partying and preening? They're catering for young people. That's the outward, the most visible sign. But you only have to look at who is using the market during the day to realise who is not visible in the evening.

newbie said:
rather than banter i'd appreciate a considered answer to #718

Do you ever come to Brixton?
yes.
YES! didn't you hear me the first time?
Where once were useful shops and daytime businesses are now bars and clubs, nailbars and sportswear outlets. Where once was a thriving market is now a pale shadow.
of what?
Does it matter whether the new business are catering for the higher disposable income of some young people or to the willingness of the less well off to spend what little disposable money they have on partying and preening?
yes
They're catering for young people. That's the outward, the most visible sign. But you only have to look at who is using the market during the day to realise who is not visible in the evening.
the stall holders, for a start.

Back
Top Bottom