Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Young professionals" to infest flats above Iceland

Justin said:
Curiously, a chap just came up to me in the library asking if we had an A-Z. I couldn't find one, and asked (in case a reference to Multimap might suffice) if he was looking for anything in particular.

"Oh, no", said this lad, a student of about 21 or 22. "Me and my friend were just looking for property".
and when you'd removed yr shoe from his backside?

newbie said:
Look at the trend. People in their 20s arrive & stick around; then they sprog, then they move out in their late 30s & 40s, taking their secondary school age kids with them.

...Or they stay and then moan bitterly about the influx of young 'professionals'/dolescroungers/outsiders* as if they weren't of largely the same group once...
(*insert own prejudice here..)

newbie said:
I've added some commas for Justin, but I'll ask the question again. Has anybody here who is not aged 20-40 moved into Brixton in the last 10 years or so ?
I moved here 12 years ago and I'm not in that age bracket.

Do I win a prize?

editor said:
I moved here 12 years ago and I'm not in that age bracket.

Do I win a prize?
Yeah, you get a badge:

officially-not-a-gentrifier.jpg

tarannau said:
...Or they stay and then moan bitterly about the influx of young 'professionals'/dolescroungers/outsiders* as if they weren't of largely the same group once...
(*insert own prejudice here..)

am I moaning bitterly? Not really, just trying to point out that from the root this thread has been a turf war between two marginally different groups of the same people whilst largely ignoring everybody else.

newbie said:
am I moaning bitterly? Not really, just trying to point out that from the root this thread has been a turf war between two marginally different groups of the same people whilst largely ignoring everybody else.
No it hasn't. It has been a discussion about home ownership, the state of the housing market and its social and demographic effects on a given locality, largely ignored by people who want to have a spat about terminology.

Orang Utan said:
I am 31 and moved here about 4 years ago.
Does that make me a gentrifier?

How should I know? It makes you someone who moved into an area exactly conforming with the stereotype. Whether you personally are a 'gentrifier' will be seen in the future- when and why you move away.

Justin said:
Curiously, a chap just came up to me in the library asking if we had an A-Z. I couldn't find one, and asked (in case a reference to Multimap might suffice) if he was looking for anything in particular.

"Oh, no", said this lad, a student of about 21 or 22. "Me and my friend were just looking for property".
There's more. He's looking for property "on the other side of the river".

"Controversial!" said his mate.

"In trendy Barnes", he went on.

Justin said:
No it hasn't. It has been a discussion about home ownership, the state of the housing market and its social and demographic effects on a given locality, largely ignored by people who want to have a spat about terminology.

from my perspective this has been a sustained attack on 'yuppies' with a polarised defence. Two different groups with different ideas of how they and their peers do and should behave.

newbie said:
from my perspective this has been a sustained attack on 'yuppies' with a polarised defence.
Actually, for a couple of dozen pages it's been an attempt to get away from the yuppie question, largely sabotaged by people wishing to harp on about it.

Giles said:
Well then the government should either build more houses, or allow more to be built, shouldn't they?

The idea that people owning a seaside cottage etc, causes homelessness, is rather like the "lump of labour" fallacy in economics - the idea that if the "work to be done" was shared out more fairly, then unemployment would disappear.

In a free society how could you stop people from owning more than one house or flat? Would married couples only be allowed one between them? What about buying places for sons/daughters, or other relatives?

Would you ban buy-to-let as well? Or just holiday homes?

Giles..

Dear oh dear, you've extrapolated a right old bag of bollocks from what I wrote, haven't you?

You fall back on the "seaside/holiday cottage" argument, which is inaccurate and irrational. "Weekend" homes don't have to be cottages, they don't have to be located anywhere near the sea. Oddly enough, inavariably they're neither, they're what used to be called "family homes" that originally housed (you guessed it!) families all year round, not for 2 nights out of 7.

You tie the ownership of homes to the "lump of labour" argument, implyng that there's equivalence. Do more than imply please, give me some data that supports your argument. Personally I think your implication of equivalence is entirely fatuous, but I'm prepared to have you prove otherwise.

You then introduce a spurious "exercising one's right to own as much property as one wants" argument. Spurious because you're arguing from a position of claiming property rights without accepting that there are concomitant moral rights and responsibilities, you're asking for freedom to own as much property as you wish without the burdensome knowledge that you acquisitive instincts might cause families to fracture, or whole social groups to be riven.

Would I ban "buy to let"? Not outright, but I'd establish limits to holdings of developed property and put bureaucratic brakes (taxes and duties) on the amount of money people could expect from their property portfolio. Why? Because I'm a callous cunt riven by class-envy, obviously.

Originally Posted by Orang Utan
I am 31 and moved here about 4 years ago.
Does that make me a gentrifier?

Nah. You haven't bought a 'luxury' rabbit hutch yet.

I'm 33 and have been here 10 years but my partner & I made the grave error of buying a flat 2 years ago. I'm apparently now "A 4x4 driving Tory cunt who's dispised by all"

Hey ho.

newbie said:
from my perspective this has been a sustained attack on 'yuppies' with a polarised defence.
Justin said:
Actually, for a couple of dozen pages it's been an attempt to get away from the yuppie question, largely sabotaged by people wishing to harp on about it.
Like for instance...
Pie 1 said:
I'm 33 and have been here 10 years but my partner & I made the grave error of buying a flat 2 years ago. I'm apparently now "A 4x4 driving Tory cunt who's dispised by all"

pm said:
Quote:
me said:
IMO the effects they've had on Brixton are as much a result of youth as wealth.
what, chucking in the street and buying drugs off strangers down dark alleys? what d'you mean?

Do you ever come to Brixton? Really? Where once were useful shops and daytime businesses are now bars and clubs, nailbars and sportswear outlets. Where once was a thriving market is now a pale shadow. Does it matter whether the new business are catering for the higher disposable income of some young people or to the willingness of the less well off to spend what little disposable money they have on partying and preening? They're catering for young people. That's the outward, the most visible sign. But you only have to look at who is using the market during the day to realise who is not visible in the evening.

Brixton has never been a quiet and respectable place at night. But it's only relatively recently that it's turned into a commercially important entertainment zone with pubs, clubs, restaurants and bars aimed very largely at different parts of the same agegroup.

Pickman's model said:
why d'you think professional people can't be cool or buzzing?[/i]:rolleyes: perhaps if you looked you might see.

Of course they can. And some squatters can be deeply conservative. No-one need be a charicature. But if you look at the graph I've posted twice now you might recognise that those superficial differences mask their essential similarity.

Pie 1 said:
Nah. You haven't bought a 'luxury' rabbit hutch yet.

Hey ho.

Oh, I don't know. I reckon you could happily trim the "4x4 driving tory" from that sentence! :p :D

(sometimes people just leave themselves open to this sort of thing! :) )

Back
Top Bottom