Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Young professionals" to infest flats above Iceland

As I understand it from people I know who have studied this sort of thing academically Giles' analysis is fairly accepted now as the standard explanation for why some innner city areas in Europe & America become richer over time, starting with the artists/creative types moving in. The only solutions really I can see for people who don't like this is to a) have so much social housing that there is virtually nowhere for these people to live, or b) drive out the artists/ creative types with pitchforks. ;)

Strangely if you want to see examples of what happens with a) Lambeth is full of them - most of the large council estates are still overwhelmingly either council tennants or the original people who exercised RTB. And sad to say the communities are not very happy ones in terms of their vibrancy - the markets are struggling, the shops are barely surviving and they are not gentrifying by any means. Examples I know reasonably well (for local connoiseurs) are Vauxhall Gardens (having lived there for most of the last five years) and the Ethelred (also in Vauxhall) but my shallower knowledge of other places in Lambeth would indicate this is pretty common... :(

Yossarian said:
That's the most sensible post on this thread by a mile. There wasn't going to be much hope of any other reasonable discussion after somebody started comparing yuppies to Holocaust victims...:rolleyes:
Well said.

So when is Lang Rabbie going to apologise for insulting millions of holocaust victims by likening their experience with that of London flat buying yuppies?

As for Giles's ''analysis'' being accurate -- he is a property developer, for fuck's sake. :rolleyes:

IntoStella said:
As for Giles's ''analysis'' being accurate -- he is a property developer, for fuck's sake. :rolleyes:

IS - I have no idea what your job is and it doesn't matter either when I'm arguing with you - does it? Yes Giles might be biased in one particular direction but that doesn't mean it's impossible for him to have an intelligent opinion on something any more than it stops him as a man having intelligent opinions on issues that effect women.

Bob said:
Giles might be biased in one particular direction but that doesn't mean it's impossible for him to have an intelligent opinion on something any more than it stops him as a man having intelligent opinions on issues that effect women.
I rest my case, your honour.

the fact also that people have blathered on, in such a fashion that one would think they've got nothing else to say on the matter, about the word 'infest' being used in the initial post which was clearly made in anger and emotion (gosh people do remember that word emotion don't they, we can't all be disengaged) is pretty lame.

The word infest was used - it means, at its base level 'To inhabit or overrun in large quantities' - there now not such a nasty word is it. Get over it precious types.

chegrimandi said:
The word infest was used - it means, at its base level 'To inhabit or overrun in large quantities' - there now not such a nasty word is it. Get over it precious types.
Does anyone really think that Brixton is 'overrun' with yuppies? Where are they then?

Sure, I see quite a few middle class people around (like the thread starter, fo r example) around, but I can't say that I've seen many of the stereotypical yuppies described here trotting around the streets (apart from a handful at the Living Bah of course, but that place isn't exclusively 'yup' either).

editor said:
Does anyone really think that Brixton is 'overrun' with yuppies? Where are they then?

not currently. But I'll wager in 10 years the demographics will have altered drastically from say they were 10 years previous to now.

As mentioned before the Sainsburys local is a strong indicator of this IMO.

editor said:

Well self-evidently Brixton/Lambeth is over populated by young people. Whether they're 'professionals' is debateable and fundamentally irrelevent. IMO the effects they've had on Brixton are as much a result of youth as wealth.

The infestation is people in the 20-40 age range. Over the years there's been a shift from the town being a predominantly daytime market centre with a small and cheap night entertainment sector which has gradually turned into youth pleasure central, dependent on young people drinking alcohol with a vengeance.

Notice with interest the stark difference between the ages and wealth indicators of the daytime crowds and those out at night. Poor people of very mixed ages shop carefully during the day: at night the streets are populated almost exclusively by young people with money in their pocket, out for an alcohol fuelled good time.

Does it matter whether you're professional & conservative or cool & buzzing because ultimately you're all the same! Very few outside the target market can tell any difference between two bars, opposite each other, catering for marginally different sectors of exactly the same demographic (except one is painted more hideously that the other).

Apart from a couple of passing references those not aged 20-40, and those not in private rented or owner occupied homes, have been almost universally ignored throughout this thread. It's reminiscent of a school playground where two groups are polarised about whether their jumper should be tucked into the trousers or worn outside, capable of raising great passion but of limited interest to the rest of us, who just see a bunch of noisy kids. Except that the effects on schooling and services affect all of us. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Is anybody reading this, who has arrived to live in Brixton in the last 10 years or so, not in the 20-40 demographic?

You couldn't do us a couple of commas in the last line? I'm struggling with that.

[Edit: ta. But I think you want to add and is after the second comma.]

I'm not quite sure what your point is there, newbie - most people moving *anywhere* fall into the 20-40 age range (which is an extremely wide band to take).

newbie said:
Well self-evidently Brixton/Lambeth is over populated by young people.
do you have some census data to support this?
Whether they're 'professionals' is debateable and fundamentally irrelevent.
so why bring it up then?
IMO the effects they've had on Brixton are as much a result of youth as wealth.
what, chucking in the street and buying drugs off strangers down dark alleys? what d'you mean?

The infestation is people in the 20-40 age range.
this sentence doesn't seem to go with the rest of the paragraph.
Over the years there's been a shift from the town being a predominantly daytime market centre with a small and cheap night entertainment sector which has gradually turned into youth pleasure central, dependent on young people drinking alcohol with a vengeance.
where do the older people drink then?

Notice with interest the stark difference between the ages and wealth indicators of the daytime crowds and those out at night. Poor people of very mixed ages shop carefully during the day: at night the streets are populated almost exclusively by young people with money in their pocket, out for an alcohol fuelled good time.
hmm...

hmm...

perhaps you could check again next time you leave yr house cos that isn't the picture i've observed.

Does it matter whether you're professional & conservative or cool & buzzing because ultimately you're all the same!
why d'you think professional people can't be cool or buzzing?
Very few outside the target market can tell any difference between two bars, opposite each other, catering for marginally different sectors of exactly the same demographic (except one is painted more hideously that the other).
:rolleyes: perhaps if you looked you might see.

Apart from a couple of passing references those not aged 20-40, and those not in private rented or owner occupied homes, have been almost universally ignored throughout this thread. It's reminiscent of a school playground where two groups are polarised about whether their jumper should be tucked into the trousers or worn outside, capable of raising great passion but of limited interest to the rest of us, who just see a bunch of noisy kids. Except that the effects on schooling and services affect all of us. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.
whatever yr on isn't helping yr coherency.

newbie said:
Well self-evidently Brixton/Lambeth is over populated by young people. Whether they're 'professionals' is debateable and fundamentally irrelevent. IMO the effects they've had on Brixton are as much a result of youth as wealth.

The infestation is people in the 20-40 age range. Over the years there's been a shift from the town being a predominantly daytime market centre with a small and cheap night entertainment sector which has gradually turned into youth pleasure central, dependent on young people drinking alcohol with a vengeance.

Does it matter whether you're professional & conservative or cool & buzzing because ultimately you're all the same! Very few outside the target market can tell any difference between two bars, opposite each other, catering for marginally different sectors of exactly the same demographic (except one is painted more hideously that the other).

Is anybody reading this who has arrived to live in Brixton in the last 10 years or so not in the 20-40 demographic?

This is happening in a lot of London. It is all part of the high property prices thingie again.

Its the "ordinary" families who can't afford a family-sized place in inner London. Those who are poor enough / lucky enough to get council housing can, and those with loads of dosh can (you do need a lot to buy a four bedroomed house, say, in Brixton) but not the bulk of people in the middle.

Giles..

Giles said:
This is happening in a lot of London. It is all part of the high property prices thingie again.

Its the "ordinary" families who can't afford a family-sized place in inner London. Those who are poor enough / lucky enough to get council housing can, and those with loads of dosh can (you do need a lot to buy a four bedroomed house, say, in Brixton) but not the bulk of people in the middle.

Giles..
If you think that poverty is enough to get a homeless family securely housed in Lambeth then you are living in a very strange universe.

Not as strange as my landlady*'s uncle from Devon who came up to stay and said of London:

"all you have to do is go on strike and you get a council house".

[* = until Saturday]

Pickman's model said:
do you have some census data to support this?

00AY.gif

census

as posted at #626

where do the older people drink then?

I've said before it's my belief that more people who live in Brixton go to church than go to pubs & clubs.

Justin said:
Not as strange as my landlady*'s uncle from Devon who came up to stay and said of London:

"all you have to do is go on strike and you get a council house".

[* = until Saturday]
Ah, if only.... ;)

newbie said:
00AY.gif

census

as posted at #626

I've said before it's my belief that more people who live in Brixton go to church than go to pubs & clubs.
you forgot to point out that lambeth is also infested with 0-4 yr-olds.

but - my other questions? some answers, please.

I've added some commas for Justin, but I'll ask the question again. Has anybody here who is not aged 20-40 moved into Brixton in the last 10 years or so ?

newbie said:
I've added some commas for Justin, but I'll ask the question again. Has anybody here who is not aged 20-40 moved into Brixton in the last 10 years or so ?
d'you mean not 20-40 NOW, or not 20-40 THEN?

Curiously, a chap just came up to me in the library asking if we had an A-Z. I couldn't find one, and asked (in case a reference to Multimap might suffice) if he was looking for anything in particular.

"Oh, no", said this lad, a student of about 21 or 22. "Me and my friend were just looking for property".

Pickman's model said:
you forgot to point out that lambeth is also infested with 0-4 yr-olds.

Look at the trend. People in their 20s arrive & stick around; then they sprog, then they move out in their late 30s & 40s, taking their secondary school age kids with them.

Back
Top Bottom