Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Worst cheese ever?

Now I’m middle aged I’d honestly take cheese over drugs any day. There are no bad cheeses. Even the heavily processed ones are kind of good. But a proper aged cheese, of whatever type, an exemplar of its kind, is a thing of beauty. I’d also give up booze for cheese. I would love to be part of an urban75 cheese club if we all lived near each other.

Never really got into Red Leicester tbh. Over here any of that factory rubbery sliced stuff in supermarkets like ‘cheddar’ , flamenco, Gouda . Except Baby Bel which I’ll munch on every now and again.

Red Leicester is cheese so dull they had to add colouring to make it more interesting. Even the farmhouse stuff is no better than moderately mature cheddar. Delia Smith, while waxing lyrical about other cheeses, described it as “Crumbly - good for cooking”.

Cheese and fizzy water party’s would be fine. You do have to have accompaniments tho. Crackers, bread sticks, beautiful fresh baked bread, olives, cornichons (sp), pickles, even at a push chutney, tomatoes. Heaven.

What wine do you have? I know nothing about wine.
Cava with Manchego and tomatoe bread is a worthy mention.

As a Cava fan I try to avoid Wine but a nice Sancere/Sancerre would be my recommendation.

Red Leicester is cheese so dull they had to add colouring to make it more interesting. Even the farmhouse stuff is no better than moderately mature cheddar. Delia Smith, while waxing lyrical about other cheeses, described it as “Crumbly - good for cooking”.
Something like a Sparkenhoe on freshly baked bread is anything but dull.

Cheese and fizzy water party’s would be fine. You do have to have accompaniments tho. Crackers, bread sticks, beautiful fresh baked bread, olives, cornichons (sp), pickles, even at a push chutney, tomatoes. Heaven.

What wine do you have? I know nothing about wine.
You can have any wine you like tbh .
When I was working as a labourer at Brunel university me and these students I’d have a drink with decided to go to some Young Liberal wine and cheese do for a laugh . I’d never been to one but I loved cheese. Had a field day with the cheese but I was pissed after about 90 mins as I wasn’t used to wine and had to get a bus home .

Setting aside non-cheese cheese 'products' (squeezy cheese, american cheese) and the casu marzu horror show, for me the worst cheese is EDAM which can just fuck right off. Eat the wax, eat the cheese, you'll taste or feel no difference, it's a gaping void of charisma or flavour. Utterly pointless and a criminal waste of good milk.

Setting aside non-cheese cheese 'products' (squeezy cheese, american cheese) and the casu marzu horror show, for me the worst cheese is EDAM which can just fuck right off. Eat the wax, eat the cheese, you'll taste or feel no difference, it's a gaping void of charisma or flavour. Utterly pointless and a criminal waste of good milk.

For years the Dutch just seemed to export bland Edam and Gouda but when you go to the Netherlands the range is astonishing- esp, the “Oude Kaas”. One of the most remarkable ones I had was Kernhem - texture of Gouda but the aroma and taste reminiscent of Camembert. Fantastic stuff!

Try the Brillat Savarin if given the opportunity, leave it out at room temperature for a bit and it lives up to it's name 'Ice-cream cheese' - as runny as it gets but as tasty as it gets too.

:hmm: Runny gives me the boak, to borrow the Scott's phrase. But I'd try it, if it doesn't smell grim.

I will eat any cheese, except the one I bought in France that didn't travel well. A 48hr journey in an old van with no aircon and a long ferry crossing, when it was unpacked the next day it smelt like a baby's nappy and looked similar too. I haven't tried the maggoty one yet though .

For years the Dutch just seemed to export bland Edam and Gouda but when you go to the Netherlands the range is astonishing- esp, the “Oude Kaas”. One of the most remarkable ones I had was Kernhem - texture of Gouda but the aroma and taste reminiscent of Camembert. Fantastic stuff!

That's how it is for plenty of countries. British cheese in supermarkets abroad is going to be largely generic cheddar or stilton. But there's all the small producers here making phenomenal cheeses that are harder to find.

Try the Brillat Savarin if given the opportunity, leave it out at room temperature for a bit and it lives up to it's name 'Ice-cream cheese' - as runny as it gets but as tasty as it gets too.

The cheese you smell long before you see it approaching - a fucking masterpiece!

Back
Top Bottom