Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World's longest sea crossing: Hong Kong-Zhuhai bridge opens

editor

hiraethified
Amazing engineering but shamefully there's no rail link included, only those with permis can drive over it and its (long delayed) construction resulted in the multiple deaths of workers.

_103959748_hong_kong_bridge_6_640-nc.png

China opens longest sea-crossing bridge

It's an astonishing thing, but seems to be pretty much unnecessary. Guess the main point of it is to remind folk in Hong Kong that they are part of China and that in 2047 things are gonna change.

Hong Kong drives on the left, China on the right, you switch sides half way across this bridge :cool:

Last edited:
It's spectacular to look at, but I'm going to keep taking the ferry to Macau. I'd like to see the whole thing planted with trees and turned into a wildlife corridor/artificial reef.

shamefully there's no rail link included
Yeah that does seem a bit silly. Macau and HK are both being hooked up to the HSR network (HK already, Macau to come) though. You''ll have to change trains in Guangzhou.

Amazing engineering but shamefully there's no rail link included, only those with permis can drive over it and its (long delayed) construction resulted in the multiple deaths of workers.

Permit systems are pretty standard in China, and control vehicle use to some extent. Worker deaths... Tragic.

Yeah that does seem a bit silly. Macau and HK are both being hooked up to the HSR network (HK already, Macau to come) though. You''ll have to change trains in Guangzhou.

Indeed, it's worth looking at the coverage of Chinas HSR network:

high-speed-railway.jpg

It is pretty staggering. I mean, yeah, China is very fucked up in many ways. But 高铁coverage is amazing, makes all the wrangles over HS2 look a bit ridiculous. Normal rail is pretty comprehensive too... In fact public transport in China in general is good.

I suppose the justification for this bridge is mainly road freight. Which yeah, kind of indicates that it's really political.

Back
Top Bottom